THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Big Carp fishing with Big fish to show

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Carp fishing with Big fish to show
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
Was out filming and fishing again this week weather was up and down extreme heat to extreme wet but we persevered and got hold of some very nice monsters.

The smallest fish of the photos was 23 pounds while the biggest was a whooping 43 pounds yes 19.54kg almost 20 kg carp.

The fishing was difficult and we lost a lot of fish on snags "line getting stuck on tree stumps and debri in the water and so on" My success rate was 6 out of 12 runs on my rods. And my biggest was 24 1/2 pound.

The weather was real big carp weather as you will see of the photos.

Maybe next time I will be luckier.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
What do you use for bait on those bad boys? We use a dough that looks and smells like oatmeal cookies.

How many would you catch in say, an 8 hour day? Fredrick, do they bite in all hours of the day, or is there a best time to catch them? Over here, we can switch from bass fishing in the morning to carp mid-day, bass again in the afternoon, and then catfish at night...

I did a lot more fishing on the Zambezi this year than I did last time, and enoyed it greatly...

Fishing is good damn fun anywhere you do it. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of Lockport, manitoba in the Spring.......hundreds of thousands of big carp roll in the turbulence of the Red River below the bridge......and at the same time, the giant channel catfish can be caught....
BTW.....Please send your recipe for doughballs!.......thanks!!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Awesome

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great fish. I have just got into carp fishing and it is a lot of fun. what is your bait recipie?

also do you catch the bigger fish in the middle of the river/ale (i.e. deeper water) or does it not really matter?

thanks,

reddy375

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is that behind you in the 4th photo?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Yukon,

No I was in the 5th photo.

Thats me I look serious as the fish I was holding gave me difficulties. The guy who took the photo forgot to tell me when to smile. So not the best photo of me around.

Then I could write chapters about this type of fishing.
Fisrtly we are trying to apply specimen fishing in South Africa in other words we look at what the serious guys in Europe are doing and applying it here.

Deptness of the water mostly makes things change when the weather changes. It is very difficult to say but commonly with cold weather they like deeper water 15 foot plus and with good nice weather shallower water 15 foot and up.

Now luckily our waters and I'm sure yours as well because of the size is not so much pressurized so we dont have to go all out with tricks to find big carp.

For this water we used Tigernut's a nut originating from Spain. So no "DoughBait" at all it was tigernuts ad then we drop the line with a cano on the spot we choose. Basically we hunt the carp we look for features where big carp would hang out unfortunately that will be areas difficult to access a 300 meter row for me for instance and a lot of snags under the water.

But just like big kudu they havent grown that size being stupid. The big boy of 43 pounds would probarbly have an age of 20 year plus. They know the waters and where to go to snag you up to get the hook loose.

So your gear and tackle as to be top notch and it does help to have profesionals around to help with tips and more. All fish are caught on catch and release basis so they can grow even bigger. We do land smaller fish yes but their weight are from 8 pound plus. You just have to fish trough them to get to the big ones.

Then the carp didn't have a fixed pattern at all because the weather changed from very hot to wet and windy quickly so we were taking them out during all hours night and day.

BTW the dam we were fishing at have some great bass as well with fish in the 6-9 pound class being caught regurlaly.

We actually also offer fishing trips like this if someone would be interested with guides all top notch gear and so on included. Minimum of 7 days would be needed but it would be great fun. I also think that with our weather conditions and our waters we expect to catch the new world record carp here in SA.

BTW we are aslo selling DVD's about fishing in SA unfortunately only in PAL but you can order them directly from me.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, what is that behind the fisherman in the 4th photo?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Yukon,

We call it a pod it's a stand that you put 3 rods on securly and add the alarms and swingers. The alarms is obviuosly for the when the fish takes the bait and the swingers are there to stabilize the line and not fly around with waves and wind.

Frederik Cocquyt

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Frederik

That was some nice Carp you got there, looking forward to see the footage.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Never heard of using Tiger Nuts for carp fishing.

Here in the U.S. "Tiger Nuts" are an extremely popular food plot item for Wild Turkeys. They are known here as Chufas.

Thanks for the tip. I might try some Chufas next time I go for carp.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
Congrats on some dam nice fish - looks like loads of fun

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jislaaik my donder!!!!

I am more of a yellows and fly guy but those are monsters!
You okes know what you are doing when it comes to carp, thats for sure!

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done boet those are some serious carp i used to fish provincial competions in Zimbabwe mostly bass but i am in the uk now and the fishing is so diffrent you have to be members of sydicates to get onto the good waters.Just as a matter of interest most of the private dams here in the uk dont allow tiger nuts to be used as bait do you know why?

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just as a matter of interest most of the private dams here in the uk dont allow tiger nuts to be used as bait do you know why?

Same reason we can't use them here. They'll take over whatever body of water to release them in?

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Zee,

I have no idea why Tigernuts are not allowed maybe it isnt to sporting ol chap. I dunno but we struggle with boillies because of barbel/catfish. Unfortunately some companies that fly in UK fisherman has been pumping some of the waters with tons of bollies over the years and the barbel are use to it now. So now we cannot fish with boillies. Even in July (Mid winter when the barbel should be the least active) we have tried them but the barbel still get picked up on them.

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
great fish its awesome when those big boys take the line its like a steam train

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote