New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Synthetic Stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
John Frost in Portland Oregon does hand-laid fiberglass stocks in your choice of color, pull length, style, etc., and he beds the stock to your barreled action. He will do an ultralight if you ask for it. You can find him on our website.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The good prof242 is absolutely correct, and this ain't an academic statement.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if Bansner has a web site?

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You absolutly can not go wrong with a McMillan. I have owned numerous HS Precision stocks and every one of them has chipped, just cosmetic stuff but it makes you mad all the same. I dropped my McMillan on a rock and they fixed the very small ding no questions asked. Their stocks are top notch and their customer service is second to none.

Posts: 54 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Russ Gould

I couldn't find the stock makeing chap in Portland. Do you have link?

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the Bansner Stock Web site:
http://www.bansnersrifle.com/hightech/

Brownells carry these stocks for a reasonable price. I own six McMillan stocks, and love them. They do offer a lightweight stock for the Remington LA and SA. The Bansner High Tech stock, however, is available for a wide variety of rifle actions.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
JCN,
Psych majors are the same way. All know more than the prof. If you are ever in Colorado, let me know and we'll have a chat over a couple of libations.
Max

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count on it.
JCN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm not really sure where I should post this, but it will get the most traffic here. Who makes the best and lightest synthetic stocks. I know of McMillans, but I'm curious to know if there is a company that makes lighter stocks? Thanks for your input.

Sevens

I have two "Custom Pre-Finish" Browns on short action Remingtons. These are inletted, pad at 13 1/2" LOP ONLY - different LOP costs more, studs, painted (gray ONLY - different colors cost much more), ready for bedding. My Model 700 FS in 7mm Mag came from Remington with a Brown. My only complaint is that the factory paint on these scratches and chips easily. The first one I bought cracked slightly at the top of the action inletting - this on a .308. Brown of course replaced it. A gunsmith I knew and Allen Day on this board report that the forearms canmove under high heat, such as being in direct sunlight in a gunrack in the back window of a pickup. I do not personally know this. My FS had the standard pressure pad at the tip and it would hold zero from year to year perfectly. A Brown Custom Pre-Finish, gray, 13 1/2" LOP all set to go will cost, IIRC, just over $400 - see their website for current prices.

I have two Bansners on a .270 and one soon to be mounted on a 7mm-08. The Bansner shape and design is very much like the Brown. I only have two gunsmiths' and a gunwriter's (John Barsness) comments to go on as to long term durability - and they all say the Bansners are top notch. Jim C., who used to build custom rifles for Intermountain Arms in Idaho for 25 years, almost exclusively uses Bansners for his light rifles. An inletted Bansner blank costs $210, they will install a Decelerator pad to your LOP for $50 more. They come to you right out of the mold with mold lines intact and some pinholes that need epoxy filling. Not a biggie, 25-45 minutes with a sanding block and they are ready to paint. The inletting is undersize for the recoil lug and, on mine at least, for the floorplate area so you can custom fit your action - I let a gunsmith do the final inletting as I am darned dangerous with a Dremel tool. I've been charged $80 to bed one and $75 to paint it. Send your barreled action to Bansner and they will return it bedded, painted, pad, studs - ready to shoot for just over $600.

Turn around for Brown is about 4-5 weeks and Bansner says theirs is 3-4 weeks, depends on season and what you order. I'm left handed and Bansner took about 8 weeks each for mine. My Bansner for a long action M700 with pad, studs and paint is right at 21 ounces. The Browns - haven't weighed them in years, are right about the same IIRC.

The design of both B and B is very simliar. they are both very straight on the comb and and handle recoil well, but realize I put them on a .243, .308, .270 and a 7mm Mag - only the 7mm Mag has what one could call a "kick". Still, swithing the .308 from the heavier factory BDL wood stock to the much lighter Brown seems to give about the same subjective recoil.

The McMillans are, of course, about as strong as you can get from what I've heard. I currently own 5 and haven't broken a one. They are heavy as others have reported - mine are the Remington BDL pattern and all weigh right at 32 ounces with pad, paint and studs, just about the same as the wooden factory BDL stock. McMillan offers a lot of choices, however, with B and B above you get a much smaller selection of styles. McMillan is famous for slow turnaround but this varies widely. I've had them take anywhere from 8 to 14 weeks for a custom order, but for $393 you get a stock completely finished in your LOP and color choice all ready to bed. Check their internet specials, these are stocks they have on hand - if you like a 13 1/2" LOP then for $350 you can get a stock shipped out that day.

Never tried the Edge lightweight but I'd make a WAG and figure they are probably up to McMillan's usual standard. They are very expensive, however, compared to their regular stocks.

And that's about all I know about that.

My purely subjective opinion for a lightweight? I would choose the Bansner, the cost is right, they are super strong in the action area - Mark Bansner says they will handle whatever you put in them up to a .458 Lott if one is a masochist. . I think the Brown is a bit overpriced unless you get a blank, but again that's just my opinion. Either stock is a good one, I just like the Bansner better.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another random thought - Borden Rifles makes the Rimrock stock. I have only handled one, never owned one. A friend who is somewhat of an expert in custom rifle stocks and owns one or two Rimrocks tells me the Rimrock is a pretty good copy of the old Al Biesen stock that JOC loved so much. Jim Cloward designed the Rimrock and apparently Jim was a student of Al's. At least that's what I heard so realize that this is second hand info, but I have no reason to doubt the source's word or knowledge.

Pistol grip is more closed like a Remington and is fairly small in diameter - not tiny, just smaller and more closed than your average Winchester LT factory stock. Comb is very straight and it has what I thought was a bit too large of a cheekpiece - it really sticks out there but that's probably good for the face and cheekbones on hard recoiling rifles.

The nose of the comb has the fluting down low - it does not go all the way to the top of the nose and that interferes with the base of my thumb, plus the nose is very close to and rises abruptly from the pistol grip. I just couldn't like it, it crowded my hand and thumb, but as always "feel" is totally subjective so YMMV.

Owners report that they are very strong and very well made, being solid epoxy through the actio area.

Their website says a finished stock will come in at about 26 ounces, roughly halfway between a Bansner and a McMillan. The last price I heard for a finished, ready to go stock was $365 so the price certainly compares favorably to the other brands mentioned.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
I just handled a Hogue overmold for the first time and thought it quite nice-good feel, very rigid, fairly light. I have several from McM and H-S P and love them all for the different things I use them for. Best advice- go to a shop that has several different types and shoulder a few until you find one that suits you.
A bunch depends on the rifle you are fitting it to. If it's a Remchester or Mauser, you have a ton of available options. Something like a Sako will limit who makes what to fit your action.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both good. Whatever you get make sure its a better one. They are less affected by the heat and are much stiffer/stronger. Mine are part kevlar...

Posts: 318 | Location: People's Republic of New York | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've used both Brown, and High-Tech by Bansner. Both stocks are about as light as you can get and still have it look "normal." Both have stood up to some heavy recoil and no problems.
Max

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote