Find
Notify
Tools

Best Trail Cams to use in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted
I wanted to post this question because you see more and more trail cam photos from Africa. I get asked alot about this and i'm sure there are many good opinions. Whats your thoughts and/or opinions!

Cheers!!!!!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The smaller the better.. I have taken cuddiebacks.
Make sure you take a camera that takes the SD card. Do not take a HD SD cards just plain SD cards.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
We've used Cuddeback, Moultrie, and Bushnell. The Cudebacks were, by far, the best. Hair trigger, long battery life, clear images, small size, easy to mount, easy to set.

Also a good idea to have a camera that will allow you to view the SD cards in the field. Not every camera will show the trail cam images.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I used the little DL COvert cameras this time and have been using them all over for a while now. They are very small, not real expensive, and dependable.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim - What's your favorite place to purchase these and at what cost? Thanks.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I used the little DL COvert cameras this time and have been using them all over for a while now. They are very small, not real expensive, and dependable.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the Reconyx cameras and find their ability to take a completely undetectable pics in total darkness every second or so very appealing and something that's a lot of fun. You just aren't going to miss anything with a camera with rapid-fire trigger speed and the ability to continue to take pictures over and over without the need for a minute or so break as is the case with many products.
I gave my Reconyx RC60 to my PH when I left Tanzania, but quickly replaced it with several new ones that I have scattered around my farm.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried them in Africa once and two of them were destroyed by lions. Is there something inherent in the cameras, that make them threatening to lions and would cause them to actually approach the cameras and destroy them. This is my only drawback to them.

Of course, I didn't get a lion on that safari so of course I blame the cameras.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Today, I would recommend the Bushnell Trophy Cam WITH the viewfinder. Three years ago, I wouldn't have pissed on a Bushnell camera if it were on fire. But like all things electronic, things change.

http://www.bushnell.com/produc...-cameras/trophy-cam/

I have been using and testing trail cameras for a number of years. I have been through most all of them, Cuddieback, Moultrie, Bushnell, HCO... I was most impressed with the 550V from HCO. Compact, infrared, night and day video, (primitive) viewing screen, and very weatherproof. Bushnell caught on to HCO's manufacturer shortly after that successful camera and started using them as well. That's when Bushnell took a turn for the better.

Their latest Trophy Cam is a solid little compact rig that has a relatively high video resolution and illuminates the area well with about 32 LED lights. There are additional amplifiers sold by another company (can't think of the name) if you need more light. The sensor and lightning quick trigger is a carryover from HCO and it is the best that I have found. There are three sensitivity settings and on "high" I am able to catch field mice!

In a situation where you are far from a computer or don't want to hassle with looking at your photos on a camera, the little viewfinder is a nice peace of mind when you, at the very minimum, want to make sure the camera is A) working properly and B) covering the area you want. Don't expect it to cover all the details you would see by downloading the images though.

All of the big retailers sell them for about $250 each. I have found them on Ebay for $190 including shipping. Be sure to get the viewfinder model.

Good luck!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Larry,

You can buy direct. The one I use is $199.
It is small, has infrared, video, stills, lots of features and batteries last forever. DL Covert

BTW...it is basically the same camera as the Bushnell above. Covert was making them, and Bushnell came in to the factory with buying power, and they had them make them and stamp their name on them.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Interesting. The DL Covert cameras are the exact Scoutguard camearas sold by HCO. Incestuous little bastards! haha

Price being equal, I would only lean towards the Bushnell because of their 2 year warranty.

Read more about trailcams here:
http://www.chasingame.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote