One of Us
posted
Member Alert! SCI Suspends Membership of Hunter
Safari Club International
To tlveurink@yahoo.com Today at 4:45 PM
News Release
July 29, 2015
For Immediate Release
SCI Suspends Membership of Hunter and Professional Hunter Involved in Death of Cecil

Washington, D.C. – Safari Club International (SCI) supports a full and thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding the death of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe. SCI has imposed immediate emergency membership suspensions of both the involved hunter and his guide/professional hunter, and they will remain in place pending the outcome of an investigation.

Safari Club International condemns unlawful and unethical hunting practices. SCI supports only legal hunting practices and those who comply with all applicable hunting rules and regulations, and SCI believes that those who intentionally take wildlife illegally should be prosecuted and punished to the maximum extent allowed by law.

Safari Club International is a 501(c)4 corporation, has approximately 47,000 members worldwide, many of whom also hunt worldwide. Safari Club's missions include the conservation of wildlife, protection of the hunter’s rights, and education of the public concerning hunting and its use as a conservation and management tool.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for SCI, right thing to do.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is he a member of the DSC as well?

Probably not much longer...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
In the DSC statement they indicated he was not a member (nor was the PH).

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hahahaha!

Typical!

Jumping on the hysteria bandwagon1

I do agree that he should be suspended if he had done anything illegal.

But, how about all those who have trophies very high up in the SCI record book, which have been shot on illegal manners too?/

Why are they turning a blind eye to them??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

It is a bit too early to say they have done so. They might take further action at a later date.

As they say, one step at a time.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Is there no presumption of innocence until all of the facts are heard?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I imagine that is why there is a suspension instead of an expulsion.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Looks like he will get a chance to test that innocent until proven guilty presumption.

U.S. agency probes possible legal violation in lion killing: source

By Ayesha Rascoe and Barbara Liston

July 30 (Reuters) - The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is investigating whether the killing of a beloved lion by an American dentist in Zimbabwe was part of a conspiracy to violate a U.S. law against illegal wildlife trading, a source close to the case told Reuters on Thursday.

The source said the service is investigating the killing under the Lacey Act, a U.S. law that bars trading in wildlife that has been illegally killed, transported or sold.

The investigation is focused on whether Walter Palmer, a dentist in suburban Minneapolis, was involved in a conspiracy to violate the act, the source said.

Separately, the Fish & Wildlife Service said it has been unable to contact Palmer. He has said he killed the lion, known as Cecil, but said he believed the hunt was legal.

Edward Grace, deputy chief of law enforcement for the service, issued a statement urging Palmer to contact the agency immediately.

The death of the famous lion has sparked international outrage. Protesters gathered outside Palmer's dental practice on Wednesday, calling for him to be extradited to Zimbabwe to face charges of taking part in an illegal hunt.

Fish and Wildlife Service director Dan Ashe in a post on Twitter on Thursday called the killing tragic and said his agency will "go where facts lead" in its investigation.

A Zimbabwean hunter has been charged in the African country with failing to prevent the unlawful killing of the lion.

Palmer has not been charged in Zimbabwe or the United States at this point. (Editing by Kevin Drawbaugh and Bill Trott)

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
You are guilty with no chance to prove your innocents. Sounds like a Stalin/Hitler idea to me.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1263 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
You are guilty with no chance to prove your innocents. Sounds like a Stalin/Hitler idea to me.

Kangaroo courts seem to be of the Nazi method of "guilty until proven beyond doubt to be innocent" !

I have zero idea what the real facts are, and I doubt anyone else here does either.
....................................................................... 2020

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If the dentist is suspended before a fair trial then SCI is a guilty as the media or the anti public. Or, SCI is out to crucify the man to help its public opinion. I'm glad I left them years ago.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very disappointed with a suspension without even hearing from the hunter. It isn't in the spirit of understanding and actually makes the hunter look guilty.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote