THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anyone ever seen this on a buff's bosses?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever seen this on a buff's bosses?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all.

I got this buff in TZ in 2006 and I am probably going to get a euro mount done. If the bosses can be fixed.

It looks like they burned them somehow with chemicals or something. Has anyone ever seen this before? have you had it fixed? How was it fixed?

Todd

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
That appears to be fat/grease from the horn bases melted into the boss. The insecticide powders used may have stuck to that as well. Whatever it is, it can be repaired. As to how...cleaning and degreasing followed by rebuilding the top layer of horn that has "flaked" off. This can be done a number of different ways, and you will never know it is not real horn if it is done well.

I generally make silicone texture molds of various sections of boss that I want and then press these molds into an epoxy. To much involved to go into any more detail here. The bottom line is that there is no problem fixing it.

Restoring the base of cape buffalo horns is a common repair. The question is how much space do you want between the bosses when you get it back? Big Grin

PM me if you would like more info. Good luck.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's the result form boiling the skull. Unless the bosses are "dead' hard from an old bull, they will flake after boiling.
It can be fixed.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I will get it touched up before having it mounted.

Todd

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It happens all the time and it is easy to fix.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Similar experience with a waterbuck. Taxidermist repaired it and one cannot tell it's not entirely natural.
Congrats on your buff.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote