New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC Observations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Being a bit of an observer of people at events - and having attended this event, I thought I would share my observations and thoughts just to see if I am the only nut case out there or others are seeing what I am seeing. Here goes with the "10 Things I Think I Think" to borrow from Sports Illustrated.

1. The Show - well organized, great location, great volunteers, great map of the layout (a little small but glasses helped). Food courts were packed and were mostly standing room only. The chairs were getting a serious workout with those Texas sized beer bellies putting serious "hurt" on b-b-q and the like. Good news was that the prices were reasonable for the food. Ticket prices to get in were in line. Crowd seemed small this year but that just be me. The people that were there were "tall". I mean like they were 6' 4" or better, at least a bunch were. Even the women. Speaking of - women- I saw less silicone this year than in past years. Must have been the cold weather and silicone must freeze or freeze something that ought naught to get frozen. At least there were no wardrobe malfunctions that I got to see. thumbdown

If I were asked and I were on the show committee and my opinion was worth more than the electrons I am wasting here, I would suggest the following - a) get rid of the trinket sellers, you know the guys that sell cheesy jewelry or knife sharpeners. You have a class act and this lowers the quality.

b) Tell the sellers of farm raised elk, masquerading as elk hunting operations, to leave the 10 mounted 400 inch elk heads at home. They create an aura of expectation that elk that big really live somewhere out from behind a high fence and that the legitimate elk hunt sellers are hurt when being compare to "kick and shoot" elk hunting operations. Leave these guys for other shows.

c) Have you all thought about separating the areas of the floor geographically? Put Africa in one area, New Zealand in another, North America in another? Ok I thought you had, but some marketing guy is telling to mix everyone up so everyone at the show is forced to walk 17 miles to see what they want to see. Ok, I doubt you will change but thought I would offer.

d) Artists- why are you hear? Go to the art shows. Brian Jarvi is fantastic but I can barely afford his prints let alone an original. I like looking at his work, but I cannot buy it. Most there cannot buy. People go to art shows to buy art. OK, I know that they sell a few pictures and you get a cut of the sales, but these guys are starving most of the time and to ask for expensive booth space as well as a cut of sales (if you do that) is hard on them. OK, I know they would not be there if they did not want to be. OK, you win, keep the artists.

2. Gun Dealers - you guys kill me, literally. Massive displays of firepower. Outstanding quality. However, you cannot sell a thing at this show. You can take orders and I am sure you do. Good on the double rifle sellers. Heym's set up was excellent. You guys are learning that you are not in the gun business but in the "big boys like their toys" business. Wilson and Son (or whatever) was new, good to meet you. Remington Custom Shop - you need a "try" gun and some seriously knowledgeable guys if you hope to sell a $3000 push feed. Kimber - low key and solid. Good reps and helpful. I think I will buy one. Winchester - where are you? I thought you were back in the controlled round feed gun business? Showing up is 90% of life (and business). Empire - great product, get consistent! Banser - answer email and phone calls and I will stop by your booth. I like your guns but your customer contact work is lacking. Ruger - keep stirring the pot, you got everyone on the edge wanting to see what is next from your shop.

3. Best Booth - hands down to Amazon Tours. Flat screens, videos running, quality printed material, very sharp booth folks. Heck, I am not a fisherman and I nearly wrote you a check for a trip for 4 to Brazil to catch those largemouth bass on crack you have. Super marketing.

a. Second Place for best booth - SHE Safari's - talk about a hot gig. Your cut clothes that make certain parts stick out and other parts stick in - you have built the better mouse trap. On top of that, you had two changing rooms to try on clothes. Slick and smart. Would be smarter to have a spot for husbands to sit down and drink some wine while the wives get jazzed about hunting now that the clothes look good.

4. The Boddington Empire - it continues to grow, and justifiably so. This guy has put nearly as many people into African Hunting as Capstick and John Wayne (Hatari!). His booth was next to Chifuti and ? Saw the handsome Tim Danklif entertaining the ladies as well as "Daws" and Paul Smith. Andrew Dawson - you are famous via the Bod on Buff and Bod on Buff 2 and Bod of Leopard DVD's - get a good haircut. You can afford it. Paul, you are taller in person - shave a little, get a little cosmetic assistance. You guys are stars, look the part. Craig - you and Ivan are the toast of the elephant hunter world right now. Enjoy it. You all are doing a lot of good and the other PH's and agents ought to send you a cut of every elephant hunt they book to first timers.

5. Sports Afield - thanks to Rupp and others for resurrecting this great magazine. You all and the African Hunter mag are the best out there. Keep it up. I re-uped my subscription until 2020. By the way, Diana, I hoped to meet you and propose - propose a hunt or something or ? Any lady that hunts sheep and dangerous game is needed by all of us men trying to get our wives to jump into this craziness with us. Thanks

6. Texas Men - as mentioned above, your bellies are showing. Get to the gym, get in shape, stop talking about hunting and go do it. I do not mean, put a new coat of paint on the deer stand or put a top job on your old F150. I mean, get those love handles down to single pinch size and go hunting - on foot - over the mountains - whatever - but stand hunting is killing you guys.

a) Texas Women - your reputation precedes you. You deserve better than the Texas men I saw. I spent a lot of my show time sucking in my gut and looking good! Oh well, when you are old, that does not help much. However, you ladies did not disappoint. A couple of you are going back to the Farrah Fawcett haircut. I still like it!

7. Certain Agents who will remain nameless - Adam Clements, at least act like you want to be there. You looked bored and ready to go home. You have the best are in Tanzania, it is sold out until 2015, your helpers talk a mile a minute - hey, get in the game. I may have seen you on an off day or off hour, but you are on display dude. Act the part. Your ace pitchman with the ponytail was rattling like a rapper selling other hunts in Poland or wherever else you guys offer hunts. Several other agents looked at my posse like we were lepers. One of my guys actually was there to book a hunt and did, but with an outfit that sold him on the experience and not the "inches".

a) Did not see the "man" - Ray Ray - must still be hiding from Drummond.
b) Wendell - Linda was looking for you, did you all hook up?
c) Bob Kern - did you use the same lawyer as OJ?
d) Many secret agents - where do you all come from? I saw at least 5 I have never heard of representing outfits I never heard of. Must be a good business, maybe I should start up a agenting business and get some free hunts!!!

8. Agents and Safari outfits - You are in the entertainment business, not the hunting business - Agents, Safari Companies, Fishing companies - remember what you do and what you are selling. You sell memories, excitement, entertainment. This is a pure discretionary cash business. Bad economies cause some to flourish and others to tank. If you sell "inches of elk or deer" , get ready to disappear. If you sell a life shaping experience, you will succeed. People will borrow money to get a memory, but will not to get inches. One of our posse said it this way - "I do not care much about the camps, they are all pretty much the same - I do not care about the size of the buffalo or bushbuck, they will be sold by my kids at a garage sale after I die. I care about the time and memories with my family, that is all" - Agents, Safari Operators - Remember that you are selling a memory and an extra-ordinary experience. You are in the entertainment business.

9. Fishing Outfits - what in the world are you doing at this show? This is the "Dallas Safari Club", not the Dallas fishing club. Is it really worth your time to be here? I guess so and I like to see the pictures and dream of tarpon, but I wonder.

10. Best Kept Secret - Mayo Oldiri - what an operation. They were first time show exhibitors stuck off in a terrible spot yet selling hunts in Cameroon for Bongo and other forest critters. The daughters of the owner were manning the booth. I had no idea they were Spanish and not French! Pretty, pretty knowledgable, pretty incredible their papa sent them to Dallas, alone, to handle the likes of me. I was impressed and if I had the dough, I would book a hunt and ask that either of them come along. I asked both young ladies if they hunted and they said "por supuesto!" Of course, we love to hunt. My kind of girls! Way to go Dad, you are raising some fine girls.

OK, enough of me, now, let me hear you!!!!

PS - No PM's please, I do not read them or respond, no time. I am off to my next show....

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS - No PM's please, I do not read them or respond, no time. I am off to my next show....

Must have SOME extra time if you went to the show and wrote all of this gossip and gibberish... clap

Thanks for the report - a fresh reminder (beer bellies, big hair, cheesy gun shows) why I don't live in Jethroworld anymore... Wink

Did you buy a SHamWow ...???

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know if people are booking hunts? Was attendance down? What hunts looked to be the most popular? Who had the best deals?

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, whatever.

Complain about walking too far and all the beer guts...

As a "weight challenged", OK, Fat hunter, your holier than thou weight obsession is really getting sick.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I thougth it was crowded enough.

Gosh, where else can you go to fondle so many guns in one place?

Maybe she had trouble getting into Wendell's booth. It was very crowded everytime I walked past it.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BulldogMaster:
Being a bit of an observer of people at events - and having attended this event, I thought I would share my observations and thoughts just to see if I am the only nut case out there or others are seeing what I am seeing. Here goes with the "10 Things I Think I Think" to borrow from Sports Illustrated.

1. The Show - well organized, great location, great volunteers, great map of the layout (a little small but glasses helped). Food courts were packed and were mostly standing room only. The chairs were getting a serious workout with those Texas sized beer bellies putting serious "hurt" on b-b-q and the like. Good news was that the prices were reasonable for the food. Ticket prices to get in were in line. Crowd seemed small this year but that just be me. The people that were there were "tall". I mean like they were 6' 4" or better, at least a bunch were. Even the women. Speaking of - women- I saw less silicone this year than in past years. Must have been the cold weather and silicone must freeze or freeze something that ought naught to get frozen. At least there were no wardrobe malfunctions that I got to see. thumbdown

In general I agree with you. The location was good but, overall the hall seemed a little too crowded with exhibitors. Having meeting rooms in Market Hall would have been better. The seminar in the hotel was good but, it wasn't really setup to handle the number of people that were there. A wider aisle would allow people to pass folks talking at a booth too (this seemed to really impede the flow of traffic at some booths on Saturday).

Women, get over it. A beautiful woman doesn't have to wear a short skirt and spill out of a blouse to get my attention and I'm not impressed by large amounts of silicone. There are "clubs" that cater to that sort of nonsense. And, it was darn cold Saturday so the few ladies with bare legs surprised me a little.

quote:
If I were asked and I were on the show committee and my opinion was worth more than the electrons I am wasting here, I would suggest the following - a) get rid of the trinket sellers, you know the guys that sell cheesy jewelry or knife sharpeners. You have a class act and this lowers the quality.

They help pay the bills and make conventions like this possible. If you don't like them, just keep walking down the aisle. If they all got stuck in the "tent", they wouldn't come back next year and everyone's expenses would go up.

quote:
b) Tell the sellers of farm raised elk, masquerading as elk hunting operations, to leave the 10 mounted 400 inch elk heads at home. They create an aura of expectation that elk that big really live somewhere out from behind a high fence and that the legitimate elk hunt sellers are hurt when being compare to "kick and shoot" elk hunting operations. Leave these guys for other shows.

If a novice like me could spot them, it can't be that hard for others too. I would like to see some distinction of "free roaming" versus "farmed" hunts.

quote:
c) Have you all thought about separating the areas of the floor geographically? Put Africa in one area, New Zealand in another, North America in another? Ok I thought you had, but some marketing guy is telling to mix everyone up so everyone at the show is forced to walk 17 miles to see what they want to see. Ok, I doubt you will change but thought I would offer.

I don't agree with you. With all the "competitors" setup next to each other, it doesn't give people a chance to walk away and chat and prepare for the next similar outfit/operation. It also doesn't allow people to easily "expand" their horizons. For example. if I'm looking at South African plains game, would I even consider a Spainish Ibex if I never make it to that part of the convention? I was fortunate enough to speak with a few Spanish, Slovakian/Croat, and English/Irish operators and broadened my horizons. In fact, I'm more likely to go to Namibia then South Africa for a hunt.

quote:
d) Artists- why are you hear? Go to the art shows. Brian Jarvi is fantastic but I can barely afford his prints let alone an original. I like looking at his work, but I cannot buy it. Most there cannot buy. People go to art shows to buy art. OK, I know that they sell a few pictures and you get a cut of the sales, but these guys are starving most of the time and to ask for expensive booth space as well as a cut of sales (if you do that) is hard on them. OK, I know they would not be there if they did not want to be. OK, you win, keep the artists.

Get over it - it's a common interest thing. You could say the same thing about John's Guns/Dark Horse and their suppressors. After all, who mounts a suppressor to their DG Rifle?

quote:
2. Gun Dealers - you guys kill me, literally. Massive displays of firepower. Outstanding quality. However, you cannot sell a thing at this show. You can take orders and I am sure you do. Good on the double rifle sellers. Heym's set up was excellent. You guys are learning that you are not in the gun business but in the "big boys like their toys" business. Wilson and Son (or whatever) was new, good to meet you. Remington Custom Shop - you need a "try" gun and some seriously knowledgeable guys if you hope to sell a $3000 push feed. Kimber - low key and solid. Good reps and helpful. I think I will buy one. Winchester - where are you? I thought you were back in the controlled round feed gun business? Showing up is 90% of life (and business). Empire - great product, get consistent! Banser - answer email and phone calls and I will stop by your booth. I like your guns but your customer contact work is lacking. Ruger - keep stirring the pot, you got everyone on the edge wanting to see what is next from your shop.

I guess you missed Remington's Custom Shop rifle with the Sako extractor that one of the reps took to Africa. In terms of Kimber being low key, if you/they don't want to be there, why did you go? In terms of Winchester, DSC is expensive Public Relations especially with SCI and Shot all during this time. "Toys for Big Boys", well I doubt you sell many $20,000 to $200,000 rifles or shotguns at your average gun flea market masquerading as a gun show. In terms of people not there, get used to it because very few exhibitors will make their show expenses back if they sell hard goods.

quote:
5. Sports Afield - thanks to Rupp and others for resurrecting this great magazine. You all and the African Hunter mag are the best out there. Keep it up. I re-uped my subscription until 2020. By the way, Diana, I hoped to meet you and propose - propose a hunt or something or ? Any lady that hunts sheep and dangerous game is needed by all of us men trying to get our wives to jump into this craziness with us. Thanks

Sports Afield had a good booth and good staff working the show. I need to decide which, if any of the African magazines I'm going to subscribe too.

quote:
6. Texas Men - as mentioned above, your bellies are showing. Get to the gym, get in shape, stop talking about hunting and go do it. I do not mean, put a new coat of paint on the deer stand or put a top job on your old F150. I mean, get those love handles down to single pinch size and go hunting - on foot - over the mountains - whatever - but stand hunting is killing you guys.

STEREOTYPE You can say the same thing about people back east, down south, etc. Fat or fit depends on what you are looking for.

quote:
9. Fishing Outfits - what in the world are you doing at this show? This is the "Dallas Safari Club", not the Dallas fishing club. Is it really worth your time to be here? I guess so and I like to see the pictures and dream of tarpon, but I wonder.

It's a common interest thing. See my reference to suppressors above.

quote:

Sorry to waste your precious time responding .....

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bulldogmaster,

As one of the 300+ VOLUNTEERS who put on the DSC show, I look forward to reading your "observations" when you return from your next show.

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bulldog:
Great post, and perceptive and hillarious observations! I hope to attend the DSC show next year.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16631 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Bulldog ---I'm just trying to figure out "why" you even go???------eh?

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, enough of me, now, let me hear you!!!!

What a shame,

You have just won the jet black MERCEDES BENZ .... BUT it requires an immediate response to collect your prize (-:

BTW that is a very well written report

Cheers

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first attended this show it was in about 1/4 of market hall for a few years then it moved to the Adams Mark hotel Downtown for one or two years and then back to Market Hall.
It is spilling over into tents now so I suspect if the economy does not further impair the business you may see it in the Dallas Convention center in the future which is probably 5-6 times the size of Market Hall with many separate Halls.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as complaining about Texans and their beerguts, several things should be kept in mind: Dallas is not exactly a typical Texas city where outdoor sports are more respected. It is still hunting season in Texas and some of the nearby states so a lot of the hunters are out hunting. Living in Dallas and going to a trade show does not make you a Texan.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Grooming/health tips and "what's classy" from a West Virginian?

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well written and funny.

I'm curious as to how sales were, I went to the East Coast Fine Arms gun show in Greenwich CT (very high end show) and there were quite a few people there but the dealers were talking about the sales being very slow. There were also a lot more guys there looking to sell then buy it seemed.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington 720,

There are quite a few good hunters in Dallas. It is a more cosmopolitan city than Houston or San Antonio.
It is not wise to catagorize people living in Dallas as not being Texans. For example; My father was raised on a farm near Halfway about 15 miles west of Plainview in you neck of the woods and my mother near Lufkin.
Parents settled here but I was born here went to College here at Texas A&M (about as Texas as you can get) and have lived for a time in Amarillo as well. Have a nice Farm in E. Texas and know what ranch life is about, father taught me and I to my sons
Am a third generation native; How about you?
You perhaps being above the Red River; Does that make you a Yankee? LOL

EZ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
EZ,
Living in Dallas does not exclude you form being a Texan. Some of the people down state tend to think the Panhandle is above the Arctic circle.

Back to the comments about Texans. Those were some interesting and valid comments about an important show, but they were made less relevent by his blanket comments made from observations at one show in one city.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew this thread was going to get ugly. It's one thing to call someone fat, but to call them a Yankee??? What a revolting thought!

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cannot wait to get those Texan comments! LOL
All in jest!
We already are tagged with the infamous Texas Heart Shot!
I think I set myself up!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the post. Some honest observations, some humor, some controversy but all in all something for everyone.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think your post is funny, we all have opinions and yours is dead on from your point of view and wrong from others.

popcorn

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bulldog ---I'm just trying to figure out "why" you even go???------eh?

He goes so he can write an entertaining piece like this. I rarely read posts of this length and I read this one entirely. I thoroughly enjoyed this lighthearted observation of the show.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes me wish I went....

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I did not think it was as crowded as last year, all in all a fantastic weekend and show. I woould happily pay $25 at the gate to can the trinket sellers.

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was a great show and appeared well attended, as compared to last year and the economy. Yes, hunts were being sold...mostly, it appeard, African hunts primarily...but some sheep and bear hunters were signing up.
There was plenty of eye candy if one simply looked up....but there's a Hooters in Dallas too and you can get some wings and a beer.
Opinions are definitely like a$$holes, and everyone is entitled....but, dude...if you don't like the booths, or the show....keep walkin'.

I took a first-timer with me and he thought it was awesome.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back to AZ from a 4 day weekend in Dallas.. I thought it was an OK convention(as usual).. A bit overfilled for the floorspace the Market Hall as to offer. The convention center would be a better choice. Saw all the AR "heros" there as well, but I was on a mission of booking my '09 and 2010 hunts!!!

All in all, a good time, but wish I woulda just gone for the full enchilada and gone to Reno like I had originally planned!! I think I'll skip DSC next yr and just go to SCI..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Stopped for overnight driving back to Pa. It is always great to me to meet new AR members and put a face to their name... I met members from the Pacific ocean to St.Thomas, V.Islands... I go to see the friends I have made from Texas, and other states and other countries... If I can help someone I am more then willing, a ride, a direction, or a cup of java...
If there is a market people will offer what they are willing to pay...
I do look forward to the new location for next year and hopefully many AR friends will return and many new AR members come for their first time...

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of going so I can OBSERVE the TEXAS WOMEN,but I had to put it on hold again until hopefully, next year.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
It was a great show and appeared well attended, as compared to last year and the economy. Yes, hunts were being sold...mostly, it appeard, African hunts primarily...but some sheep and bear hunters were signing up.
There was plenty of eye candy if one simply looked up....but there's a Hooters in Dallas too and you can get some wings and a beer.
Opinions are definitely like a$$holes, and everyone is entitled....but, dude...if you don't like the booths, or the show....keep walkin'.

I took a first-timer with me and he thought it was awesome.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

I don't believe he is in any way saying he didn't like the show, he just has a mind where he observes something and thinks about how it could be better. Everything can be improved in some way. I must admit my mind works the same way.

It doesn't ruin your day to walk by a shamwow or Amish heat surge booth, but you think to yourself, "what is that crap doing here".

Or say you have narrowed down your outfitters list to 3 and they are all scattered over the place and you think "wouldn't be nice if all the African outfitters were in the same area so it would be easier to compare".

Or you'll watch Boddington on Buffalo II, like I am right now, and think "isn't it too bad that Craig needs those dollars from Trijicon and Ruger because it would be much cooler to watch the hunts with the actual high end custom guns and the quality scopes he likes".

Not saying you don't like it, just thinking about improving it.

We'll back to the show and dreaming about getting a new Ruger and Trijicon, NOT.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:

At least it gave him a reason to brush his tooth....

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:

At least it gave him a reason to brush his tooth....

Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe he is in any way saying he didn't like the show, he just has a mind where he observes something and thinks about how it could be better. Everything can be improved in some way. I must admit my mind works the same way.

It doesn't ruin your day to walk by a shamwow or Amish heat surge booth, but you think to yourself, "what is that crap doing here".

Or say you have narrowed down your outfitters list to 3 and they are all scattered over the place and you think "wouldn't be nice if all the African outfitters were in the same area so it would be easier to compare".

Or you'll watch Boddington on Buffalo II, like I am right now, and think "isn't it too bad that Craig needs those dollars from Trijicon and Ruger because it would be much cooler to watch the hunts with the actual high end custom guns and the quality scopes he likes".

Not saying you don't like it, just thinking about improving it.

We'll back to the show and dreaming about getting a new Ruger and Trijicon, NOT.[/QUOTE]

I could not have said it better!!

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bulldogmaster.

You obviously stepped on a few toes there, but I bloody well like the way you wrote your report Big Grin dancing

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your ace pitchman with the ponytail was rattling like a rapper selling other hunts in Poland or wherever else you guys offer hunts.

Ponytail? That thing is still hanging in there? Last I saw he was getting balder on top than a strippers,.....................uh,....................................legs. I wonder if the ponytail is in fact one of those hair extentions.

Posts: 9438 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bulldog, you said it in your first sentence, you are a nut case. JMO I am excited to see next year at the new location more space more area to cover and get more excerise (reduce that belly). Guns, I have a friend that (I think) has purchased a gun every year at the show, right Frank? Art work sells at the show or they wouldn't be there Confused it isn't just about hunts. Man you should come to Pa for the Eastern Sportsman Show (largest show in the country (9 days) in Harrisburg, Pa. you would really hate this one. Have a good day! Now I have done my duty. Smiler

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 12 January 2009 11:07 Hide Post

quote:
Your ace pitchman with the ponytail was rattling like a rapper selling other hunts in Poland or wherever else you guys offer hunts.

Ponytail? That thing is still hanging in there? Last I saw he was getting balder on top than a strippers,.....................uh,....................................legs. I wonder if the ponytail is in fact one of those hair extentions.

never know where he might have gotten the toupee from

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
I just got back to AZ from a 4 day weekend in Dallas.. I thought it was an OK convention(as usual).. A bit overfilled for the floorspace the Market Hall as to offer. The convention center would be a better choice. Saw all the AR "heros" there as well, but I was on a mission of booking my '09 and 2010 hunts!!!

All in all, a good time, but wish I woulda just gone for the full enchilada and gone to Reno like I had originally planned!! I think I'll skip DSC next yr and just go to SCI..

Im interested in who the AR "Heros" (heroes) are?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pauly, we all have our opinions and mine is completly oposite yours, love Dallas but happy leaving Reno go. Smiler I saw the other day SCI is comming to Dallas in 2013. Probably a week after DSC, you will be able to go to dallas for two weeks and take in both Big Grin.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Die,
Why would you go to both in 2013, are they not extremely similar?

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Pauly, we all have our opinions and mine is completly oposite yours, love Dallas but happy leaving Reno go. Smiler I saw the other day SCI is comming to Dallas in 2013. Probably a week after DSC, you will be able to go to dallas for two weeks and take in both Big Grin.

You'd have to be a fool to schedule SCI and Dallas in the same month in the same city. You will easily see a 40-50% drop in attendance from what both shows average. SCI would be foolish to even do it in Texas, the DSC has that covered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It might be less expensive from a logistical perspective for the businesses displaying. Perhaps they are considering combining the events?
Initially the DSC show was relatively small. It draws allot of big names these days. Probably due to success in booking hunts.
I would agree that two shows in two weeks at the same local is silly.