THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: 9.3x62 legal for Buff in which countries?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 9.3x62 legal for Buff in which countries?
 Login/Join

posted
Kevin,

Get her a .375H&H. My wife can shoot it without difficulty; as a matter of fact, three different women have fired my .375s, and none have had a problem with recoil.

Just don't tell her that it recoils.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
My 9.3x63 with 320 gr. solids is only going 2300 fps (3759 ft-lb(f)). I don't think meeting the Zim minimum is possible with the baby 9.3x62, even for Ray with his 32" barrels.

Some have claimed that the 9.3x62 kills buff better than the .375 H&H. Of course somebody will claim that the 9.2x62 kills better than the .505 Gibbs.

So this is not an answer to your question, but you could use it whether it is legal or not. I don't know that I would choose the country of destination just based upon a 9.3 being legal.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

I KNOW that Zimbawe states a minimum of a 9.2 caliber, delivering a muzzle energy of 5.3 kilojoules, for hippo, buffalo and elephant.
If you can handload your 9.3x62 to achieve that then it's legal to use it.

B.Martins

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents, the man's question was where is the 9.3x62 legal; not a request to be talked into a .375. I, too, am very interested in where the 9.3 caliber, per se, is and isn't legal for dangerous game.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Who cares? Just get yourself a .375H&H, which is "buff-legal" everywhere.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I have to tell people why I'm asking to avoid everyone qustioning my motives or sense.

For the record, I have a 416 Rem.

This would be a rifle for my wife, hence more compact to fit her better and minimum recoil and weight to do the job.

I ask legally because my Whelen with 270 gr North Forks would probably do the job just fine but would not be legal.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You can't get a 9.3x62 to 5300 Joules. How that is legal must be based on some kind of new math.

The penetration index (for what value it may have) is similar for the .416, the .375, and the 9.3x62 with heavy bullets. At some point bullet energy means something, if only anyone knew what it is.

I hope to soon find out if the wonders of the 9.3 are true, as it is a powder puff compared to the 416 or even the .375.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Zim amended the legal minimum muzzel energy to 5kj to accomodate the 9,3 in 1998.

9,3 is also legal in Mozambique and Botswana.

Just to stir the pot, I notice (and have heard him actually say it) that Kevin Robertson (aka Doctari and author of "the perfect shot") recomends downloading the .375 to 2450 or 2400fps for use on elephant and buff.

Do know- having tried it on 10 elephants after a cull that a 9,3 with 286grn woodleigh solids at c2380fps out penetrates a .375 H&H loaded with 300grn PMP mommetal bullets or 300grn Woodleighs at 2550 fps on body shots. Since both calibres will punch a bullet right through the biggest bulls head, who cares on that score.

Personally would prefer .375 ballistics for use on lion or buff.

I'm not reccomending the 9.3X62 (9.3X74R It's equal) but I personally would not find a nice S/S double rifle chambered for 9.3X74R to be a draw back on Buffalo, in fairly open bush. Gregor Woods, author of Rifles for Africa , says, on page 377 of that book, "A dinky little lightweight double in 9.3X74R,however, is a sheer joy to handle, and shoot, and I can't think of a better combination for following up wounded cats!" I'm not sure I'd go that far, but since Mr. Woods has been hunting dangerous game in Africa, all his life, I'm sure his word might hold some steel, with those who have an open mind! I happen to have such a double rifle, and it is fast becoming my favorite double rifle, and is the one picked up every time I hunt, lately!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

PH's in ZIM think that the 9.3 x 62 is legal for buff there. I understand it is also legal in SOME but not all states/provinces of South Africa. In Tanzania, the .375 is minimum. Maybe someone can comment on Botswana, Mozambique, the Congo, Cameroon and CAR.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted by BFaucett

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ctg is ballistically equivalent to a 9.3x74R and it's legal in Zim. Might also meet the Namibian minimum energy number, depending on load. Here are those regs:

Smallest calibre 7 mm.

Minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity): 1350 Joule for springbuck, duiker etc.

2700 Joule for hartebeest, wildebeest, kudu, gemsbuck, eland etc.

5400 Joule for buffalo, elephant, rhino etc.

No solid point cartridge is allowed to be used on antelope or any other species.

!! Handguns and automatic weapons are prohibited. !!

Buffalo hunting is very limited in SA right now, expensive to boot, and I don't think it makes the minimum in Limpopo which is where you would be hunting them. That province requires a 375.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is "technically" legal is largely irrelevant in Africa where 9,3 bore diamiter is legal. There are published loads by RWS (258 grn) that make the minimum energy requirements in the 9,3x62 and 9,3x74R whilst the 9,3x64 has more muzzel energy than a .375 H&H (on paper).

Who cares? The game scout doesn't know a 9,3x62 from a .416 let alone the fine line between a 9,3x62 and a 9,3x64.

Also, I and I am pretty sure this applies to the vast majority of African PH's would much rather see a client arriving on a buff hunt with a 9,3x62 than a .416 - assuming the client can shoot that 9,3. As a PH you only really have to earn your keep when the client fluffs a shot, and after a clean run of 38 one shot kills on buff with a 9,3, I may conceed the superiority (on paper) of the .375 but am actually quite happy with a 9,3.

I would quite happlily take out a client armed with a .30-06 for elephant if he is a good enough shot. My last three elephant (that I have shot as oposed to clients) Have all been taken with 7.62 ball. All on foot at night. It isn't hard and doesn't require any thing fancy.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Alf,

(Did you ever get Jamieson's 500?)

In this case, it may not be so black and white in one regard, in that the gov't game scout, bless their souls, are armed to supposedly protect the hunters, armed with a 7.62. But a 9.3 is illegal!

I have only hunted with one that I perceived that he knew what he was doing, and a good guy to boot. I have had others run at the first sight of danger or be so stoned as to be dangerous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Poster: Ganyana
What is "technically" legal is largely irrelevant in Africa where 9,3 bore diamiter is legal. There are published loads by RWS (258 grn) that make the minimum energy requirements in the 9,3x62 and 9,3x74R whilst the 9,3x64 has more muzzel energy than a .375 H&H (on paper).
.........<snip>............

Just for reference, here are the published ballistics from RWS for their 9.3x62 factory loads.

-Bob F.

V[m/s] = velocity in meters per second
E[J] = energy in Joules
Bullet weights are shown in grams. example: TMR 18.5g

Conversion factors:
Meters x 3.28088 = Feet
Joules x 0.7376 = Foot-Pounds
Grams x 15.4324 = Grains

http://www.rws-munition.de/

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
TUG weight is 293grains, and this gave sufficient energy, but I'm not so sure about the bullet efficiency, even if I love TUG bullet on animals like Buff or Ele.

But there are Woodleigh bullets....

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Alf - point taken. Still African legislation is notoriosly unclear! In Zim classes of game are specified by caliber, Bullet or bore? I remember a bloke being picked up for hunting a Kudu with a .270. Legal minimum is 7mm. However, bullet diamiter for a 270 is actually just over 7mm. At least we amended the regs here to make sure there wasn't a problem with the 9,3. Even the crono results for a 286grn bullet make it. Consiquently a .376 styr may be legal as well.

Will, Accuracy always wins with elephant except perhaps in the jesse or anywhere where you cannot get a clear shot at over 5 paces. For buff, a bit of hosepower is necessary but having watched a buff take 17 hits with a .375 and keep commin or 4 hitss (frontal) with a .577 and toss the shooter I am not convinced on the balance of what I have seen that power is all. In the buffalo erradications the buff were driven on to us with a helicopter and when the herds were too big we would often be over run. Almost all shots were frontal, and in the closing stages if the one or two running directly at you didn't stop you had a problem. I started off with a .375 and moved onto a 9,3 because the 9,3 was a better rifle - nothing to do with the round. Many men used 7.62 and got away with it, others used big rifles and not all of them did.

I know what I've seen and done - including stopping a genuine charge with a double tap from my FN on a buff, but I still really like the feel of some horse power in thick cover.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

I think we have come to an impasse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

In this case, it may not be so black and white in one regard, in that the gov't game scout, bless their souls, are armed to supposedly protect the hunters, armed with a 7.62. But a 9.3 is illegal!

1. Ganyana said the 9.3 is legal by virtue of an amendment to the game laws. There is no reason to keep holding onto the concept that a 9.3 is illegal.

2. The game scout has an AK to protect the client and PH from poachers, not from elephant.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

I agree that the 9.3 is "legal" as far as any practical consideration in the field.

But for the rest of your post, I would question the advisibility of us desk jockeys going buff or elephant with a 30-06. The proviso of being a "good shot" doesn't mean much when the buff or elephant is "coming."

In this case, I do believe there is no such thing as too much gun. The bigger the gun the more likely you will turn or knock down an elephant or a buff. And the PH may or may not be a "good shot."

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Will,

I think this is one of those itches that just won't quit until I scratch it. I hate those . I'm sort of small statured (5'6", 175 lbs) so these medium class cartridges are appealing to me.

Redlander

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote