THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Do I need a converter for power in Namibia?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need a converter for power in Namibia?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
For those who have been to Namibia, will I be able to use my electronic gadgets and plug in just like I do in the states? Or will I need the European two-prong adapter?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
John:

You will need a voltage converter (their 220 VAC to our 110 VAC appliances) and you will need the African plug adapter. Do not plug your American appliance with an African plug adapter directly into the electrical socket without going through the voltage converter. If you do you will have a catastrophic experience.

Your vehicle/cigarette plug adapter/charger will work on your appliance however.

You can pick up the converter and plug adapters at just about any travel shop. Even Wal-Mart has them.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Something like these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMOOTH-TRIP-INTERNATIONAL-KIT-CONVE...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/International-Electric-Converter-Tr...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted Hide Post
The converter for Namibia power has 3 round pins. Flat pins/blades will not work. You are looking for a male plug UK2-15 that converts to a standard U.S. 115 V female plug. I believe that one of these is what you will need in Namibia. The only difference is pin size, so ask your PH which of these he is using. My guess is he is using the 15 A/250.

BS 546 (Indian 5 A/250 V earthed)

BS 546 (South African 15 A/250 V earthed)

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
What Devildawg66 posted above looks like it. I left mine in Namibia but I'll probably pickup another set before my next trip.

I would get the entire set - converter and plugs. Take a look at this converter and plugs offer online. Or, if it were me, I'd just go down to WalMart or Target or some local travel store and buy it. They're available just about anywhere.

Also, I would recommend getting battery chargers that hold 4 or more batteries at a time. I went through a lot of rechargeable batteries for my cameras and camcorders.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you are using. Most chargers for example are ok using 220 and 110 and all you need is a conversion plug. That's all I used when I was there and didn't need a voltage converter.

Posts: 266 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AndreC:
Depends on what you are using. Most chargers for example are ok using 220 and 110 and all you need is a conversion plug. That's all I used when I was there and didn't need a voltage converter.

Yup - looks like the only two items I would be taking that require electricity are a SanDisk E250 MP3 player and my camcorder/camera that has a battery recharger for the Lithium Ion battery. I don't think I'll be taking my pocket camera, but if I do I'll just take enough regular batteries to do the trick for the few photos I might take with it - it takes AAs and I'd rather not fuss with rechargeables just for it.

Both the MP3 player and the camcorder recharger are dual volt so I think all I would need would be the conversion plug and not the converter.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have an adapter with round pins. As someone mentioned above, the flat-pin type included with most sets at Walmart and travel stores won't work.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a 12-foot length of extension cord wire, put two very large "U" shaped connectors to hook to the battery terminal on one end, and a female cigarette plug adapter along with the battery charger for your gear. Hook to the battery, run the line in the vent window, set up your charging station on the passenger side dash board. You can keep everything fully charged.

I have about 12 AA rechargeable batteries and try to only buy equipment that uses them. The new high amp AA will run my Fuji still camera set not to shut down for about two days. I use a five LED flash light that uses AA's and one of those inexpensive, small camp lanterns that uses AA. I can use it to make diary entries after lights out if we are up country.

I bought an after market charger for the lithium ion batteries for my Sony camcorder and three batteries for it marked 1,2 and 3. Works like a charm; always have one charging, one in reserve and one on the camera.

I have made up an extension cord with a RSA/Namibian male end and USA plug on the other; however, in camps sometimes there aren't many power plugs, but there is always the ph's truck and it runs all day and I am hooked direct to the battery. Running all DC has worked out well for me. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a unit that I bought in RSA, and it is a 6"x3"x3" block and all the worlds need connectors are folded in that block. Its the handiest thing I have ever seen, works anywhere, anyplace and anytime..I will try and find it and get some specs on it..I know its around here someplace, but I have slept and thats not a good thing! nilly

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41953 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be certain that the unit you get has the three big round plugs! I could not find them in the US had to buy a seperate plug @ the Jo'berg airport.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
Be certain that the unit you get has the three big round plugs! I could not find them in the US had to buy a seperate plug @ the Jo'berg airport.

Like the one in the picture above? One really big round post and two slightly smaller round ones below?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can pick up the adapter from any radio shack store for about $35. also pick up a 12v charger for your camcorder & Just charge is while in the cruiser. another option is a small 12v-110v converter. most of the camera charging stuff will run off 110-220v circuits

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Welljohn,
you will find it at Safariland shop in Windhoek. It is at Gusatv Voigt Center, where Kalahari Sands Hotel is.
I've seen plug adapter of any kind (from Namibian Standard to any other.)
I suggest to bring with you a multiple socket box (I don't know the exact American definition) where insert more than 1 American plugs.

Verify the electrical characteristic of the adapter/charger for your electronic devices, many of them work without problems with 220 VAC. For the 110VAC only charger, instead, you have to buy an adapter 220VAC to 110VAC.

At Safariland you can find also brim hats, shirts, shoes and many other things for safari, many usefull other less. But it is really possible to travel with a little weight baggage going there. The problem could happen, but it never happen at Hose Kutako international airport, when you make the check in for the return travel. I saw a German tourist travel with a pair of medium size cast iron pots

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote