THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What African Country Would You Retire To If You Could
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What African Country Would You Retire To If You Could
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have visited 5 African nations: South Africa, Namibia, Kenya, Morocco, and Egypt. I have also spent 3 months in Djibouti.

I would never live in any of these places, as the bullshit of living in Africa isn't worth it to me.

If Obama gets elected and takes away our guns I am probably going to move to the Yukon, Northwest Territorys, New Zealand, or central Europe when I retire from the Navy.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I live in Idaho. My only wish is that we could have some immagration laws to keep Californians and New Yorkers out of here, they have contaminated Montana into a liberal state..

Fortunately we get mostly retired LA cops, and they fit in well..Most Idahoans don't like Government, laws, suggestions,gun control,same sex marriage, anything liberal including food, anything that interferes with life as they choose it to be..Not a bad deal once you get used to it..Actually that's the way Texas used to be..Maybe thats the way America used to be. Seems like it to me. OH yeah, and you had better vote a Republican ticket or you will be forced to move to Sun Valley and be shunned by the rest of the good ole boys in this state! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray
Idaho sounds great. Only question is about the fishing. Can't live anywhere without that available.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Atkinson

That's exactly why I've had enough of the East coast and am moving to Alaska. It's all about personal freedom and oh yeah the amazing hunting and fishing! I am in Buffalo, NY right now and NY sucks! An entire Red state F#cked up by a small Blue corner. I can't wait for Kodiak!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I'm glad I live in Idaho. My only wish is that we could have some immagration laws to keep Californians and New Yorkers out of here, they have contaminated Montana into a liberal state..

Fortunately we get mostly retired LA cops, and they fit in well..Most Idahoans don't like Government, laws, suggestions,gun control,same sex marriage, anything liberal including food, anything that interferes with life as they choose it to be..Not a bad deal once you get used to it..Actually that's the way Texas used to be..Maybe thats the way America used to be. Seems like it to me. OH yeah, and you had better vote a Republican ticket or you will be forced to move to Sun Valley and be shunned by the rest of the good ole boys in this state! rotflmo

My daughter from Fla is in Montana and votes Repub. I'm moving soon. Either Idaho, which I love, or Montana, which I like. Haven't decided which, yet.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although the word RETIRE is not in my dictionary,I would like to be able to spend more time hunting in Zimbabwe.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
jetdrvr, you are fortunate not be a resident of a state determined by Ray as not worthy of living in Idaho.

Since I am not welcome to live in Idaho I will not hunt there or book a hunt with anyone live there pissers

As a life long conservative, NRA, SCI, RMEF, and DU member, this crap gets old Mad

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A down side to living in Zambia for me, would be that no reloading is allowed and a person is only allowed 100 rounds of ammo per year also IIRC.

I think it would be a nice place to "retire" to if it wasn't for that.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
A down side to living in Zambia for me, would be that no reloading is allowed and a person is only allowed 100 rounds of ammo per year also IIRC.

I think it would be a nice place to "retire" to if it wasn't for that.

Because of family connections I think I will end up moving to Zambia in the next few years. I figure I can reload and shoot when I visit the US. As far as the 100 rounds.... I "thought" it was 100 in possession, per firearm, not per year. There is a good chance that I am wrong.

I just spent 3 months in Zambia this summer. The real downsides as I see them are: a gallon of gas is $10 USD, daily blackouts, bad roads/traffic, crime, beer is expensive, poor medical services and in general everything is expensive compared to other Southern African countries.

If I had my choice I would like to live in Botswana or Namibia. Tanzania has its good and bad points.

As someone said, Kasane Botswana would be hard to beat, they have elephants just outside of town.

I also like the Caprivi strip. Rundu Namibia is just outside the strip and is also very nice. Beer is very cheap. You can even make a run into Angola from there if you want..... I did.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
m3taco,

I work with the guys in the Engagement Division at AFRICOM on a daily basis - I also had a Germany tour early in my career and wouldn't be surprised if I end up in Stuttgart sooner or later.

I've had a great time in Djibouti and living here and in Niger have been unique experiences, but certainly not for everybody. When I was in ILE, folks were shocked that I was trying to get out of a Pentagon assignment to come here. The work (Defense/Security Cooperation) is challenging and a lot of fun and I have a tremendous amount of flexibility and autonomy.

Looking forward to maybe getting a hunt in while I am in Cameroon. I've done hunts in RSA, Zim and Namibia, but its been awhile

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
If you were staying in SA with your retirement fund in dollars your cost of living would have halved in 2 weeks and your pension doubled i can live with everything half price and sunshine 270 days a year

great fishing,hunting and golf courses

only my opinion

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt:

I'am working all the Coaltion issues here at CENTCOM in the CCC. Actually worked/working the transition of the HOA countries and LNOs to AFRICOM.

Dude - just found you on the SIPR Global!! Expect high side incoming!!

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My african friends like to say "Africa is for Africans"
Been to 6 countries in southern Africa. I could not deal with the black outs and the like

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked out of Djibouti before it became the 51st state. Great food, extremely hot weather, and unequalled SCUBA diving. I can only imagine what it's like now with all that military running around. The Legion was there when I was there. Usta be a neat place. Great pizza and cold beer at the Ali Sabieh Hotel.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I've visited ten African countries and hunted in five of them. South Africa would be my choice. It's a beautiful country with a modern infrastructure, and its government is not as corrupt as others on that continent.

Based on what was posted here, our modest retirement income would allow us to live very well there, and from what I've seen, South Africa has an excellent private health system -- and this becomes more important each year for us retirees.

However, the fact that my wife refuses to step aboard an aircraft would prevent our ever retiring anywhere we couldn't reach in an automobile.

So we spend six months at our home in the foothills above Tucson and six months at our cabin in the high country -- desert in the winter, and cool pines, firs, spruce and aspens in the summer.

For a change of scenery, we can drive six hours to a beach in California or five hours to the Sea of Cortez in Mexico.

Arizona isn't Africa, but it will do.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
jetdrvr, you are fortunate not be a resident of a state determined by Ray as not worthy of living in Idaho.

I don't know Ray, but I know what has happened in Montana. I have a friend who moved to Sand Point ID from CA who is far from liberal. The problem in Montana is all the tree-huggers moving up from CA with big bank accounts and driving up the land and cabin prices in Montana and bring their liberal political phlosophies with them. I'm thinking seriously about Idaho around Sand Point, if things go well.

Florida is a very gun friendly state, being the first in the nation to initiate shall-issue CCW's. Idaho's equally gun friendly, almost. I like that. This Obama thing is scary and I like the Idahoans independant attitudes.

(Sorry to hijack the thread, but what the hell. I'd take Idaho over any African "country" any day. Too many hot wars going on and you can never tell when yours will be next.)

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
South Bronx.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I was born in San Francisco Ca., moved to Finland at the age of 12 (dual citizenship), went back to the States in 79-80 and am now living in the Southern Finland.

I´ll be spending 3 months a year in South Africa once I get my pension -in 12 years time- if a) I´m alive b) there still is a South Africa.

I´ll choose the months of Febr-April, that way I won´t miss the Nordic summers, fall hunting season or Christmas with the grandkids (if I have any).

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
m3taco, PM sent.

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote