New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Auction Results?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any of the Auction results from Reno?

With the decreased number of people, I was curious how the auctions did. Seems like there are always some good deals to be had. I am assuming this year was no different?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
241 views and not 1 reply? Does SCI National even exist? Has anyone looked to see who's behind the curtain? If a national Law or Medical Group (in-)acted , as SCI appears to be doing, that organization would be scrutinized and changed, very quickly.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I will take the under on whether SCI publicly reports the auction results in a manner akin to the DSC. Maybe Larry or Matt will take the over and I can make a little money. I would actually be glad to be proven wrong, just not optimistic that I will.

Mike

Posts: 21673 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Storms,

I talked to an auctioneer at Reno this year and he said last year in Las Vegas the average auction was about 60% value. At Reno this year he felt the average was about 70%.

From what I saw I think he was correct. Hunts seemed to go for a little more than last year and there was more bidding action. Of course an average is just that, an average.

The general trend is that N. American hunts sell for closer to their declared value than African ones. I even saw some auctions go for higher than the declared value.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:

With the decreased number of people, I was curious how the auctions did. Seems like there are always some good deals to be had. I am assuming this year was no different?

Matt was looking into it - he seems to be well versed with SCI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At local NW SCI Chapter banquet they said the auctions at the national convention set a new record for money raised.

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does SCI National even exist?

quote:
,,, at the national convention ...

Hey, folks. It's Safari Club International. Its world headquarters are in Tucson and it recently held its annual international convention in Reno.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me add to the furror, it is reported SCI raised over $1,000,000 in Reno for Save the Lion.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:

Matt was looking into it - he seems to be well versed with SCI.
Yes I did say elsewhere on here that I would contact SCI for some values.

Not that I am that well versed, I just know the right people to contact.

Stand-by on that

Looking at the DSC results it looks like that is recorded online because they run their auctions online as well as live. and the results are shown there. I dont think SCI goes online for whatever reason.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I left half way through the cheyney speech. That was right after the "save the lion" speech. They asked for flat out donations. They received over 1.1 million. My PH was hounding me to donate. I told him I watch expedition safari on the outdoor channel. All I could remember was mike rogers, the past president of sci, his wife, the former president and his wife and one other person hunting quest haven lodge. Those high fenced white tails are expensive. They shot 1 white tail over 400 inches. 2 were shot well over 300 inches. One was shot near 300 inches. Mr rogers shot a typical over 200" and I turned off the tv. The total by price sheets I got off the internet was well over $200,000 in trophy fees alone. Theres no way they can spin that as a free donation or needed to conserve anything at all. I have since quit donating to sci. I will purchase hunts where my dollar goes straight to anti poaching patrols.

Posts: 54 | Location: NM USA | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stomper:
I left half way through the cheyney speech. That was right after the "save the lion" speech. They asked for flat out donations. They received over 1.1 million. My PH was hounding me to donate. I told him I watch expedition safari on the outdoor channel. All I could remember was mike rogers, the past president of sci, his wife, the former president and his wife and one other person hunting quest haven lodge. Those high fenced white tails are expensive. They shot 1 white tail over 400 inches. 2 were shot well over 300 inches. One was shot near 300 inches. Mr rogers shot a typical over 200" and I turned off the tv. The total by price sheets I got off the internet was well over $200,000 in trophy fees alone. Theres no way they can spin that as a free donation or needed to conserve anything at all. I have since quit donating to sci. I will purchase hunts where my dollar goes straight to anti poaching patrols.
For all you know those participants paid full price for those deer though, right?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote