New
Find
Notify
Tools

Angola opening up?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The discussion of the 100# elephant got me interested in the company that took it. Their website states they will be doing exploratory hunts into Angola with clients in 2008.
http://www.safarihuntingafrica.com/cms2/?p=p_24&sName=hunting-safaris

If this happens, you should see some more big tuskers from the migrations through the Caprivi, Bots, Angola areas.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
That remains to be seen and isn't Angola in the same boat as Moz as far as CITES permits is concerned when getting ivory imported into this country?

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure CITES would be a problem. Angola has been closed for a long time. I wonder if they have the land mines cleaned up?

One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
Hell no, there's still millions of landmines all over the continent.

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Angola has more people walking and hopping around without limbs...Arms and legs lost to mines in the country...If I hunted Angola I would want to be in an Abrams battle tank for protection...
I do remember in the early sixties Angola was a great place for super big lion..Read many stories in Outdoor life and Sports Afield

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PK van der Byl (I believe was involved in Rhodesian politics and owned a farm in the W Cape, my mind is clouded with other work right now?) shot the biggest bodied African elephant on record in southern Angola (over 4 meters at the shoulder).

Oh yes...he used a .425WR

Oh yes again...if you are interested in the history of Angolan conservation and socio-environmental politics until recent, read 'A Certain Curve of Horn' by John Walker. Its a favourite of mine.

Cheers

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know it's a dangerous place but in time perhaps it could come back as a viable location. It certainly has a fantastic history.

I found this map and info...

After gaining independence from Portugal in 1975, it was engulfed in a civil conflict that lasted for more than a quarter century. A cease-fire was called in April 2002, two months after the death of UNITA leader Jonas Savimbi, and on November 21, 2002, the government and former rebels signed a peace agreement that definitively ended the conflict. Fighting has ended in all areas of the country except for the Cabinda enclave, and there are growing signs of economic recovery. Nevertheless, major problems remain with virtually every element of infrastructure and government service throughout the country, including communications, roads, and basic education and health services. Facilities for tourism, particularly outside the capital of Luanda, are extremely limited.