New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kennetrek boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with Kennetrek? I noticed that they don't offervwide sizes. Most all of my footwear is wide sized. How do they run size wise?

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
K boots have a good rep. However the fine print on the pair I nearly bought stated they were made in Thailand. Notice how they are not called Kenetrak Boots of Montana any longer? These, like 90% of the stuff Cabelas sells are made cheaply in other countries and marked up a large amount by retailers here. Whenever possible I'd rather pay the extra and buy American. (Except for double rifles and Courteney boots, of course).
Just my 2 cents.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with Russell's.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com...ri/boots_safari.html

Because they are custom made to your feet, wide is not an issue.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Kenetrek Mt extremes and I am unimpressed.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:

If you do a search here you will find that you CAN go wrong with Russell's. When they're great they are great, but they often do not live of to the billing of "custom made/custom fit".

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got exactly one pair of the Russell Mountain PH boots and they are my favorite hunting boot. I've put them through the paces, but heard all of the horror stories. Thankfully, I didn't experience any of them.

My Courtneys are a favorite for town and light hunting, but they have an issue with a small knot in the instep of my right boot, so they won't work for hard hunting use. I've tried to correct it, without success so far.

No experience with the boots you mentioned, but I too prefer to buy American when feasible.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kambaku
posted Hide Post
I have two pair of Kenetrek boots and I love them. Both pairs have stood up to a tremendous amount of abuse for a number of hunting seasons. Both pair are made in Italy. Some of Kenetrek's boots may be sourced from other countries, I simply do not know.

I also have 3 pair of Russell boots. They too have served me well for their intended purpose, however, they do not give me the support I need for hardscrabble side hilling in the mountains, but that was not the intended purpose when I bought them.

We all use our boots for different needs. I do not think that one can buy/use a boot for all conditions and call it good. One pair of Kenetrek's and one pair of Russell's will go to Africa with me this summer.

There are some great boots out there and we all have different feet. The latter is the issue. Some boots fit some people well and others have problems with them. In all of my boots, Kenetrek and Russell I use the green Superfeet insole https://www.superfeet.com because it adds the additional arch support that I need. Kenetrek also makes an insole and I have those as well.

I've purchased boots from Bestard in Spain http://www.bestard.com because they made a boot that I needed for a specific purpose. I had to order them from Europe because they are not sold in the US. They continue to serve me well for the intend purpose.

Lathrop and Sons will make you a custom pair as well. http://www.lathropandsons.com

Just in case you wanted to ask, my "boot collection" does not even compare to Imelda Marcos's legendary 3000 plus shoe collection!

Posts: 60 | Location: Indianapolis, only because that's where the check came from! | Registered: 21 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:

If you do a search here you will find that you CAN go wrong with Russell's. When they're great they are great, but they often do not live of to the billing of "custom made/custom fit".

I know others have had great experiences with Russell, but mine was horrible.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Sorry that some of you had issues with Russell, my experience has been positive, and just ordered another pair from them during the SCI show.

Now, as far as Kenetrek is concerned, I do need a pair of boots for riding, and hunting in cold weather, so I was looking at theses.
http://www.kenetrek.com/prodin...vk87wCFUcV7AodcWUAUA

They did seem comfortable enough when I tried them on. Still searching for solutions though.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair for mountain hunting. I can't wear them.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The kenetrks are the only pair of boots I've ever owned that will blow a huge blister in my heel when carry a heavy load in rough country.

They just about killed me on a solo goat hunt in the high country several years ago. I've never had this problem with any other boost after hundreds of miles and thousands of vertical feet in rough country.

I had broken in and worn those boots in for nearly a year before the hunt. But the problems came in when I went from cotton to wool socks and increased my pack load. I know have a $400.00 dollar pair of floor ornaments in the closet.

One of Us
Picture of Kambaku
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kambaku:
quote:
Originally posted by Kambaku:
quote:
Originally posted by tanks: Now, as far as Kenetrek is concerned, I do need a pair of boots for riding, and hunting in cold weather, so I was looking at theses.
http://www.kenetrek.com/prodin...vk87wCFUcV7AodcWUAUA

They did seem comfortable enough when I tried them on. Still searching for solutions though.

I have pair of White Packers for riding because I like the way they fit in the stirrups and they have a nice spur shelf. However, mine are not insulated. They do make an insulated pair, however, it may not meet your requirements. You might take a look at their web site for ideas. http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php I've also worn White Smokejumpers for years, again, non insulated.

Posts: 60 | Location: Indianapolis, only because that's where the check came from! | Registered: 21 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair and really like them, but not for Africa. Kenetreks I have are for mountain hunting.

Wear a light weight, tennis shoe type boot/shoe if you can find one. My last two trips I wore regular sneakers with gaiters.

Posts: 10379 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a tough time with hiking boots as well
Growing up from a small child all I have ever worn is cowboy boots. So you can imagine my feet are shaped like cowboy boots, narrow, extremely high arch.
When I was wrangling horses and guiding generally off horse back I used Whites Packers and other brands of packers and they worked well for that as they are cowboy boot, just a lace up version.
I ws thinking about trying a pair of Courteney Patrols, what is the arch like in a pair of those and how is the support?

I agree with Larry and surestrike about the Kennewrecks. One of the most uncomfortable mountain hikers I have ever owned. I used them one time on a Alaska Self Guided Hunt on the Peninsula, damn near killed me. As soon as they got a little wet and heavy things started to go badly quick. I got to the point where I had most of my feet wrapped in duct tape to cover the blisters. The one pair of Russell Bird Hunters I have I cant wear more than a couple hours and walk very far in rough country with them, the "custom" sizing is to wide and long and my feet slip around in side them. I sent them back after I initially received them to have them altered and Russell sent them back to me after about 6 months without any changes that I could tell, suggesting that I use more leather conditioner on them??? They work out ok walking flat ground looking for pheasants, but I would not suggest anyone with feet like mine buying them. No arch, no support.
Anyway if anyone has an opinion on the Courtenay Patrols I would be interested. I have a lady in Harare that I can have pick me up a pair prior to my arrival there in May. I can break them in while there, alternating between a pair of Vasque hikers I have been using for years

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Kenetreks that I just love for mountain hiking. I too have wider feet. I bought a pair and they were too narrow. Sent back and they sent a new pair. Still didn't feel right. Didn't get them sent back for 3 years..... They then proceeded to send me a new pair to try which fit perfectly. Worked great on my bighorn sheep hunt 1 1/2 yrs ago.
I looked at the exact same pack boots that you linked to for my recent Marco Polo Kyrg hunt. I didn't buy them, but wished a couple of times that I had. I believe those are the same boots as my bighorn sheep guide used with his later season hunts. Buy 1/2 to 1 size larger than what you normally wear to accommodate socks and foot width. You can always send them back. Great company to deal with. Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only comment about the Courtneys is you need to personally try them on. They are made in Zim. Size, well that's a relative thing.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own and love a pair of Italian made Kennetrek Mountain Extremes. I tend to need a wide boot and my arches are high.

I am in an 11 1/2 M. I had 4 or 5 different sizes on until I was satisfied with the fit.

I think these boots might be a little warm for most of Africa.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience was they run narrow. I doubt an E width could wear them.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have horrible feet (was 4F for Uncle Sam but still served 3 years) and found that New Balance hikers worked awesome for me on my first trip in 2011. I took two pair (well broken in) and when I got back one pair didn't feel right on my feet. Went back to the store where I bought them, and since it was less than one year since I bought them (well worn by now) they gave me a new pair no questions asked. Don't get no better than that!

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I have a pair and really like them, but not for Africa. Kenetreks I have are for mountain hunting.

Wear a light weight, tennis shoe type boot/shoe if you can find one. My last two trips I wore regular sneakers with gaiters.

You wear light tennis shoe types here and you will be digging at night, or someone else can do the digging while you howl. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Kenetrek boots are good. I like Lowas better. They have a better rand and soles. That said I couldn't imagine needing them in Africa unless you're hunting mountain nyala, but perhaps I'm thinking more about their mountaineering boats.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
For mountain boots, I've noticed that it's important to know where the boot was designed and what works for your feet. In a broad sense, you have Italian lasted boots (Kennetrek, Schnees, Asolo, Older Vasque, etc.) and German lasted boots (Meindel, Lowa, etc.).

I have a normal to slightly narrow foot. I can wear any Italian lasted boot and it will fit my foot like a glove almost from day one. German boots kill my feet. The last just doesn't work with the shape of my foot. The toe box and heel just don't feel right.

My current boots are Kennetrek Mountain Extreme UI's with Superfeet Merino insoles. After a year of use, I don't have any complaints about them. They're a good boot if they fit your foot.

Buy them on Amazon and you can save 25% if it's your first Amazon shoe purchase.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I really like my Zamberlan Vioz boots. They are all leather, Italian made and very comfortable with little to no break in required.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote