New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari cancelled / postponed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, just one short month ago my mother and father were out riding their Harley through the Texas hillcountry and all was well. Everyone was seemingly fat, happy & healthy. Then 2 weeks ago my mother developed severe back pain, went to Dr, had xrays followed by MRI, etc and they discovered she had tumors that had eaten her vertebra. She had kyphoplasty this past Friday to "bondo" the bones but then followup catscans revealed the cancer is everywhere. So the protocol now is pain management.

Jerry and I had to cancel our buffalo hunt scheduled for this year. I put in a call to both Kathi who is handling our air and our safari agent, Bill Fronterhouse. They immediately took care of everything for me.

Bill & Usangu Safaris have assured us that it is no problem to reschedule anytime. All will be fine. They will keep my buffalo safe from harm until I can go meet up with him.

Kathi - in her ever calm, efficient and reassuring manner jumped right on our flight arrangements and is fixing that for us.

It is a peculiar mix of emotions we are feeling. After planning, dreaming, practicing, and longing for this particular safari for so long it was surprising how easy it was to bring it to a screeching halt when we found there is a finality to the precious few days I have left with this incredible woman.

A very special, heartfelt thank you to Kathi and Bill/Usangu safaris.

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the bad news. Our prayers are with you and your family.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Melody: My thoughts are with you and your family. For everything there is a reason and a season. A well-done to Kathi & Bill for their "world-class" performance during these difficult times for you. Be strong, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My concerns to you, also.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Wow, my heart aches for you and your Dad and family.

I am pleased to hear your report on Usangu. My experience with Bill and Zahir was excellent.

Best wishes,

Russell

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear of your mother's illness, and your family's pain! It is unfortunate that your safari was booked for that exact time, and I know it will be disapointing, but your mother is what counts now! I know something about cancer, and am in treatment as we speak, but haveing my family around me is worth all the hunting I've ever done, or will do! It is great that you have Kathi, and Bill to help with your re-scheduling your hunt till a time you will enjoy it even more! Your mother is in my prayers! Hang in there Hoss, there will be better times!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about this. Having lost both my folks, I know how this feels. The buffalo will wait. Spend as much time with your mom as you can, and be there for your pops. Good luck, and again, I'm very sorry to hear this news....

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
My thoughts and prayers are with ya'll. You know I think you folks are a special family and your mom must be something to have raised you. I wore my Lost My A.. hat today, not even knowing you needed a hug. Long distance, here it is!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
May GOD be with you and your family in this troubled time.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your bad news for your hunt and especialy for your mom. My thoughts will be with you today.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good and loving mom's are to be treasured. Besides having kids in return, this is another way that you pay for your "raisin". The buff hunt will always be there.
Take care of your mother!!!

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doyle Hufstedler
posted Hide Post
Melody: Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
You are a very special person. I know your Mother is also.

Doyle and Kathleen

"He must go -- go -- go away from here!
On the other side the world he's overdue.
'Send your road is clear before you when the old Spring-fret comes o'er you,
And the Red Gods call for you!"
Rudyard Kipling - 1887 - The Feet Of The Young Men

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Melody, Sorry to hear the bad news about your mother. You are doing the right thing to send your time with her. The buff will be there when you are ready to go on safari.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Melody, Your priorities are correct. May you and your family be blessed with peace and comfort during this difficult time.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Melody,

Cherish all the moments you can get right now. Take lots of photos, write a diary, document so you can look back someday and feel cheer for the person who is your mother. Do as much fun stuff as you can with her.

Wishing you all well....

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebra...

My thought are with you and your mother this night.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Melody,

I know how you and your husband were waiting...Africa...She will wait...Our thoughts, prayers, and strength...

Mike & Cherie

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
TexasZebra

I am very sorry. May God bless your mother and family.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Melody, Jerry,
you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear the news. No doubt you have your priorities straight. Glad to see the safari community (Kathi & Bill/Usangu Safaris) stepping up and taking care of you.

Thoughts and prayers from our family to yours.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry to hear about your mother's plight. I encourage you, from personal experience, to talk with her directly about her illness and your love for her. When confronted with a similar situation, I did not and I regret not making the most of the opportunity to tell my mother how much, how very much I loved her. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear of your family's difficulties, very best to your mother. Your safari awaits another dawn.

My prayers,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's very sad when your parents get sick and go on pain management, usually morphine drip. Now is the time to tell her everything else you've not told in the past. You've probably told her you loved her a million times before, but now each "I really Love You" will count. Having lost my folks a while back, I kinda know your pain. Again, leave nothing unsaid, otherwise you'll beat yourself to death over what you could've told her. I'm very sorry to hear of this misfortune and hope your family the best.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was saddened to hear your news as it was this time last year that I learned of my mothers cancer. I had just booked my wife and I on our first safari for buffalo and leopard with the Whittalls for June of this year when we found out.I spent as much time with my mom every day talking and making sure she was comfortable and her needs were met.She was excited about the safari and loved hearing the stories I read to her of JPK, Bill C,and others great adventures.Talk and spend as much time as you can with her during these special times. Gods blessings to your family.

Posts: 418 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote