New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crossbow for Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking to buy a crossbow to use in Africa for plainsgame.

Any recommendations ?

I want something accurate, simple to use,
Repair and Replacement in field.

I used a pse tac-15 but it is way too complicated .

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Almost any one today will do the job. I used a tenpoint on my last African hunt. Suggest though if looking for simplicity and field repair, get a recurve type like the Excaliber ones .

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am leaning towards the Excalibur 380. But I don't know much about crossbows or archery.

I like Exaclibur 380 cause it can be re-strung in the field. I also like the fact it can be broken down and carried much more compactly.

I don't know if accuracy is impacted by the breakdown.

I also don't know how it shoots relative to other bows in the market. Its also 1/2 price of a top of the line ten-point.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Even the ten points and others can be "broken down". I have taken them apart and back together again with really no change in accuracy. The simplicity of a recurve does mean less potential issues and parts to have problems with though. The 380 would be a fine choice for even the largest game. Just make sure you have the strength to keep cocking it though - the draw weight can be challenging for some.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic. I would also like to get a crossbow.
Exaclibur 380 looks like a nice one.

@hunteratheart

What is your hunting distance with a crossbow?

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are taking our Excalibur crossbows (Equinox and Matrix 355) to RSA this year. Very simple and easy to maintain. I have no problems taking them apart and putting them back together. You may need to fine to the shot placement after putting it back together but I've been within half an inch (20 yards). That's nothing and you will always be reconfirming accuracy after reconstructing it. I'm still in the process of working on the transportation issue. They fit into a double rifle case once broken down (stock/mainframe, limbs). Just trying to avoid airport hassle with the rifle case.

As for shot distance... same as a compound bow. It's up to you to determine the distance you feel conformable with. I practice out to 40 yards but limit my hunting distance to 30 yards.

There's more information on crossbows (plus and minus) in the Bowhunting section of the forum. Excalibur also came out with a new Matrix 405 mega.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've been using an Excalibur crossbow for local deer hunting for several years. It works great. It's very accurate and Excalibur customer service is great. I went with Excalibur mainly due to the accuracy and simplicity of maintenance. You can change strings and do other maintenance without the necessity of a bow press.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Interesting topic. I would also like to get a crossbow.
Exaclibur 380 looks like a nice one.

@hunteratheart

What is your hunting distance with a crossbow?

Shot distances are like those of a normal compound. I've taken shots beyond 40 yards but generally like to keep them under that. I do practice to 55 yards though. My last warthog I took was at 53. Obviously, the longer the distance, the greater the chance of something jumping the string, moving, greater effect by wind, etc. Practice, practice, practice.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any recommendation on optics to use?

Most of the crossbows come in a package with optics. I have been unimpressed with the quality of optics. Anyone make a good replacement optic?

Thanks,

Mike

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Looks like no one is jumping on this. Hawke makes a good optic. I'd say that whatever you end up with, look for multi-recticle and illumination. Some scopes have the recticle ranges AND speed settings so it's adjustable by the bow speed being used. Plenty out there to choose from.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone make a good replacement optic?

Take a look at the Leupold crossbones scope. I don't have any experience with one, but Leupold makes good optics.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post

Has red an Green lighted optics.
This is what I shoot. Take arrow quiver off it is around 12 to 14 inches wide when cocked. Accurate fast and reliable.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote