THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Don Heath in a close shave with elephant, see Norma homepage

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don Heath in a close shave with elephant, see Norma homepage
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of husky
posted
Hi,
Just read and saw the photos from an elephant charge that Don Heath survived earlier this year in Mana Pools -it doesn't get any closer that this...

Read and see the photos at:

http://www.norma.cc/content.as...ik=Hunting%20stories

Normas new 9,3mm Solids seems to perform quite well I must say -if one can shoot straight.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, 9.3 on elephant!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
I sure am thankful Don got out of this tight scrape. There are two little kids who need their Dad, as does his lovely wife need her husband.

Makes a lot more impact on me when it is someone I personally know.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Alan: +1! tu2 The broken arm tells you just how close it was!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Note to self if i ever get the chance to do something like that in my lifetime make sure i hire someone like Don. Wow, good to see it all worked out.

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Damn! Don, I congratulate you for your coolness and good shooting. May your arm recover completely. Remind me to buy you a drink in Reno.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great photos!

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Wow, that was something!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Wonderful photos. Glad to see it all ended well.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
WHEW! Glad you are OK, Don!

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Actually I think Don said he was using a parks .416 rather than his double or 9.3.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WOW! Don! Awesome!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Close call shocker

Good shooting is called upon + knowing the elephants anatomy saved Don in a tight spot.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Bunn:
I sure am thankful Don got out of this tight scrape. There are two little kids who need their Dad, as does his lovely wife need her husband.

Makes a lot more impact on me when it is someone I personally know.

Then he should quit using, and extolling the virtues of the 9.3!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It used to be the old faithful six yards, but after the limeys went metric I'm glad to see it is now six meters.

jumping

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
after the limeys went metric

Not just the limeys, also the entire rest of the world. What a difference 18 inches makes!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
"It was a perfect brain shot and he went down instantly"

Whoever was criticizing his use of the 9.3 didn't read the whole story. How much better can you get than instantly"?

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Heard about that at the time.

Lucky results from the encounter, good shot but still a bone broken.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Don survived ,very dangeorous situations in combat and hunting ,he is an incredible experienced operator of guns.
By the way hes always armed ,did you notice his 41 mag in his belt ,HOW MANY PHS actually carry a secondary weapon....this speaks of his prepardness.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Brass Balls there Mr. Don! glad you were ok. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
COJONES!!!!! That man must walk bowlegged.

Posts: 440 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
I am glad that everything has stayed in a fright and in a wound that for what it could have spent is a triviality. Congratulations to Don.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote