New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo boxes for airline travel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this isn't stictly an African topic but what does everybody use to carry ammo on their flights. I know the airlines prefer original packaging, but they tend to turn to shit by the time you're ready to come home. I was thinking some slip top boxes and marking them as custom ammo by me! Not my idea, I think someone here may use this system!!!

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly what I do. Airlines have been happy. I put the in an American GI ammo can tghat was made for the .30-06 and alterede for padlock sealing.

Never had a complaint since 1972

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use factory boxes. Federal Premium boxes are the best as the plastic inserts seem to hold up well, but they are big. I use one of the plastic "lockable" boxes sold by Cabela's. Locks are a joke as any semi-coordinated 3 year old could pick it with a paper clip and when you couldn't manage that, you could break it easily -- but it's "lockable" and light weight. Holds 3 of the Federal boxes (big bores) and a couple of other factory boxes fit along the sides for a total of 5 boxes. With any reasonable big bores, that's at or over your 5kg limit.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My wife and I went to RSA in 2007 on British Airways (despite the horror stories). I used 2 ordinary MidwayUSA flip-top plastic 50-rd. boxes - 1 for her .30-06 and 1 for my .338. Actually, I split the ammo between the two boxes and put one in her bag and one in my bag. That way, we'd at at least some rounds if one or the other got lost.

On each box I affixed a label with my name and contact information as the manufacturer, and listed the cartridge designation. As someone else on the Wild Wild Web once noted, if I loaded the ammo, then I'm the manufacturer!

On the way home, I was asked by BA personnel to go down and unlock one of the bags that contained the remaining ammo. They said it looked funny on the scan and just wanted a peek inside. I unlocked, they examined, and graciously thanked me for my time and trouble - end of story. From St. Louis to Chicago to London to J'berg and back that was the only time anybody gave a single monkey fart about my ammo.

Posts: 23 | Location: Fenton, MO | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I have used the Frankford Arsenal slip style 20 round boxes twice with no issues. No labels. I pack them in a Pelican case. The Pelican has precut squares that when removed fit the boxes nicely.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
I use, scrounge, buy generic cardboard type factory boxes for the one way trip for any ammo used for my African hunts. Use my own labels made at home for my reloads (I made it, so I manufactured it like others have said). Last time the "lockable" box I stuck my ammo in to make the airline happy (South African Airways) didn't stay lockable as the baggage handlers in their enthusiam for loading baggage broke the hasp part on the box where the lock went thru, so that proved to be pretty pointless, would have been better off if they had left it in my other checked bag, but nooooooooooo, that airline knew better (this is where I'm rolling my eyes). I also flew with British Airways on this trip and they were soooooooo nice about my guns and ammo.

Don't worry about any of this on my flights back to the states since I have disposed of any remaining ammo and carry none home (I'm such a lousy shot I leave it for the PH or safrai company to practice with in my name).

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The legal requirements are that each round be kept separate from every other round and the easiest way to do that is to use the plastic MTM boxes or similar.

Some airlines also have a rule that these also then go into a lockable (sometimes metal) box as well. - Note, this is a rule and not a legal requirement.

Some airlines also want the ammo to travel with the rifle and some want it to travel in your baggage and away from the firearm.

Some airlines, notably BA, require a minimum of 72 hours notice that you'll be travelling with firearms.

Legal maximum weight of ammo per passenger is 5
Kgs and you cannot pool those ammo weights in one bag or container.

It's a good idea to know the requirements of your particular airline well before you travel.

You'll find all the requirements and all the contact details of every airline that flies to Africa in the travel section of www.shakariconnection.com

Hope that helps. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve,

I have your info page marked as a favourite and it's great but we Aussies have an airline called "Qantas" that flies that way, maybe you could include them on your list?? as I've noticed it's not there.

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
homer Sorry about that. - We'll add it asap. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to lock my ammo in a box then I carried it in my lugage. The lock was able to be opened by custum's also this was comeing back. Going I had to take it out of my lugage and show that it was locked.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I use a lockable Pelican box that holds cartidges in their original boxes.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I used these labels on both my MTM ammo boxes. Then I sealed them with clear packing tape. No problems with TSA, customs or the local Namibia police.

I think AR member Steve had these on his server for a while.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote