THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What was your first revelation upon hitting Africa the first time?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was your first revelation upon hitting Africa the first time?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
The time I first felt like I was in Africa was arriving in the evening in Harare for the first time and leaving the airport and getting a look at my surroundings and feeling the warm,soothing air.Also again in Harare on the first morning from the bed and breakfast.This time more than any other, surrounded by tropical like tall trees and monkey and bird sounds.Then,being served breakfast by a servant.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waking up in a tent in the Zambezi delta at 2Am, jet lagged, and listening to all the bush sounds. I'm in Africa! I couldn't tell if they were made by insects, mammals or birds, but I had a smile on my face that didn't leave until I had to return to civilization.
Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
My first impression was the slower pace in the JBN airport and the great assistance we got from the Afton House folks. Then it was the razor wire (SE Asia flashback) and doves cooing as others mentioned. Once in the bush I had a real appreciation of how hard it was for Ruark and those before him to get to Africa to hunt. Then, as I was trying to line up on my first animal, a sprinbok, I realized how sleep deprived, jet-lagged, and altitude sick I was. Should have taken the first day off to rest and adjust.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sheer size of the turds...

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Texas Blue Devil:
I had the same experience. Because of flight screw-ups we flew Dulles to London to Munich to Windhoek. Nothing seemed quite out of the ordinary until, on the ride into Windhoek from Hosea Kutako, here were those baboons sporting in the median strip.
Eish!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could not believe my "butt cheecks" could hurt so bad from just sitting on an airplane which I soon forgot about when we pulled out of the airport and there were baboons and warties all along the road,, The flight and the pain in the butt was soon worth it,, I made it to AFRICA!!!

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Long mind numbing flight from Atlanta to Jo'burg, long layover, then flew to Phalaborwa and landed at what looked like a putt putt golf course. Rode down a bunch of country roads, ate, went to bed.

Woke up the next morning in a building with a thatched roof and monkeys jumping around on it. Thats when it hit me "Holy crap! I'm in Africa!".

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
1983 on my third deployement USN. We had been in Indian Ocean for 30 days and had a port visit planned for Berbera Somalia. We were not allowed into the city but could use the beachs for a cookout as long as we came in my ocean. I was on the first Mike boat ( USN beach landing craft ) to hit the beach with the BBQ grills and cases of hot dogs and hamburgers to grill. We had just starting the cookout when we were amazed at the sight of hundreds of people appearing over the dunes looking for food. We must have feed 500 people that day. Never did have our cook out and we were not able to land again due to security concerns over possible food riots. The sight of all those people appearing over the dunes is one I will never forget.

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The plane ride was a non-event. Everyone on the SAA flight to Joberg was either hunting, missionary, or returning citizens tied to education of politcal agendas . We all visited for hours in the rear galley of the 747, and it was if things had not changed in 150 years, just the method of transport and the time in transit.

Cape Town in the rising sun? Speechless Downtown Joberg? Not nice...... BUT the first night in camp not far from Maun, I lay in the dark of my tent listening to genuine native music (not rap or bebop) with laughing and talking and drums filtering through the scrub until dawn. Lions roaring all around camp and hippos making unGodly noises next to the delta outflow. I was scared and wondered if I would live through the next 15 days, but absolutely enthralled. This was indeed the Africa of my dreams.

If you've been there/done that then you know what I mean. If you haven't, no amount of talking can possibly express the feelings.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CBNHNTR:
1983 on my third deployement USN. We had been in Indian Ocean for 30 days and had a port visit planned for Berbera Somalia. We were not allowed into the city but could use the beachs for a cookout as long as we came in my ocean. I was on the first Mike boat ( USN beach landing craft ) to hit the beach with the BBQ grills and cases of hot dogs and hamburgers to grill. We had just starting the cookout when we were amazed at the sight of hundreds of people appearing over the dunes looking for food. We must have feed 500 people that day. Never did have our cook out and we were not able to land again due to security concerns over possible food riots. The sight of all those people appearing over the dunes is one I will never forget.

Eeker

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arrived at Asmara in December, 1987 and when I got off the Herc, the first thing I saw were Mig 21's and 23's lined up to launch airstrikes. I figgered I was in a world of hurt.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Group,

It was many years ago (1983 if memory serves) but I remember that I wondered about ALL the people walking around and all the natives in hunting camp. Just wondered what benefit they all served?

I still beleive that all the extra humans are not really necessary...just an old man thinking out loud.

tidbit

Always do right: this will amaze some and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember looking down at the JO-Berg from the plane, in late afternoon. I was struck with awe that I was fortunate enough to be there.

Then, the next morning our PH woke me and my wife with a "welcome to Africa"! Its something that I will never forget and an experience I will re-live with a friend, my dad, and my son in 2014!!!!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote