THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Some thoughts on planning a hunt...?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some thoughts on planning a hunt...?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted
Planning my first safari, which will be a plains game hunt, I try to figure out what I really believe is the best way of spending my time and money. When I read the postings here, I get the impression that most hunters in advance define a menu of what animals they want to shoot. My point is that I am not at all thrilled by the idea of making a list of species and having that list dictating my hunt.

I would love to shoot say impala, warthog, blesbuck and bushbuck, but I should hate to turn down a second impala of really good quality just because I have not yet shot a bushbuck and have to trot along to find one... So this is the first point, I want some flexibility. I hope there will be more then one safari in my life, and later I likely will have more specific wishes but now the mere idea of hunting in Africa is such a thrill that size or exclusivity of the animals are of little importance. It is not my idea of hunting to have to make plans to follow some "shopping list" and in the last day say "alas, we did not find a bushbuck and of course we saw a lot of nice hogs and blesbucks but I already had one of each so we let them pass..."

Further, there are lots of the less expensive animals that seem great to hunt more of, instead of one more expensive. I would rather shoot two more warthogs than a zebra or three more impalas instead of a red hartebeest... My intention is to have a budget that makes it possible to take a chance opportunity should it come - if we see a hartebeest of a lifetime, sure I want it even if it was not on my list in the beginning, but if we don't see such an animal I rather shoot a baboon and save the money for the next safari...

On a general note, how do professional hunters and outfitters look at this reasoning? Would they want me to make a more specific list and stick to that?

Regards,

Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think if you hunt South Africa, you won't have any problem in shooting, two or more animals from the same species.

In fact, you might even be able to get a lower daily rates if you guarantee that you will shoot more animals.

Talk to the outfitter, and tell them what you wish for, and I am sure they will be able to accommodate you.

One of the boys here is telling me to say "make sure you have everything in writing!"

He is probably right, but, in all my hunts, I have never had a written contract, and I have never, ever had any problems.

Just goes to show the integrity of the people I hunted with.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Well, I've only been on one PG hunt, but it went kind of like you want. We did sent Vaughan a list, but when we got there and started hunting, we didn't feel bound to it. In his case, as long as he had something on quota that wasn't already spoken for, we could go for it. For instance, I didn't really want to shoot another gemsbok since I'd shot one here in New Mexico. However, when I got there, I changed my mind. Vaughan had plenty on quota, so I went ahead and hunted them. Same thing with springbok. I had only intended to shoot one for a rug. My first one was quite large though, and I decided to have a shoulder mount done. This left me still wanting a full springbok rug, so Vaughan accommodated by letting me shoot a second. I also hadn't planned on giraffe, but after seeing them I wanted one. This was worked out, but we hunted other species and missed out on giraffe anyway. Oh well, there was a chance. We also requested blesbok and wildebeest, but after discussing our options, decided to hunt a very good hartebeest rather than a so-so wildebeest. And finally, neither my dad nor myself really wanted to shoot a warthog until we saw them. Then we both wanted one! Vaughan made the plans and my dad ended up taking a real nice old boar. I passed on several marginal boars, but had plenty of opportunity.

I think any good outfitter/PH will work with you, both to develop your "list" before you go and then adapt it to what you want when you get there. You might drop Vaughan Fulton an email or call to see what he can do for you. My dad and I had a wonderful hunt and I can't recommend him highly enough. www.fultonclassicsafaris.com

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The manin reason to have a list ahead of time is so the PH has some sort of idea of what you want to hunt so that he has you in an area that will give you the opportunity to acheive your goals.For instance if you want to shoot lots of warthog and impala you do not want to hunt a property that has warthog but no impala.Most PH's will work with you to meet your needs but you have to make your desires known.If your PH is not willing to accomodate you ,then look elsewhere.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only other thought would be the benefit to the PH/outfitter to know which areas to concentrate on for specific animals. On the two PG hunts under my belt, the outfitter wanted a list a couple of months in advance so he could schedule certain areas for certain species. Example: This last hunt, I wanted a Limpopo Bushbuck, which was on quota for a certain area only. The PH set aside 1-day to hunt a different area than my son was hunting for his SG Kudu.

Overall, I feel a "wish list" is just that, things change once you get in camp and the PH's can fill you in on what they have seen of late. Sometimes a big bull of some species pops up out of nowhere the day before you show up... I think you are on the right track, flexibility is the key. That's the benefit of hunting RSA, lots of species to choose from.

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
When I book clients for a general plains game hunt, I like to get a list ahead of time for what the client wants. This helps me to choose the area that we will be hunting in. For instance, if a client wants Nyala and bushbuck and kudu, I will go into the bushveld for their hunt. Springbok are not naturally occuring there, so if the client wants one, I know I have to schedule something in an area that has them as well. Once there, though, the menu is generally ala-cart. Many of my clients don't know that they want a particulr animal until they see it, I just inform them of the trophy fee and encourage them to make sure it is within their budget for the hunt.
Here's a little insider's info for you about hunting in South Africa. If you aren't hunting on a concession that is owned by the outfitter, then he books that portion of your hunt with the landowner. Many times the landowner wants an exact list of what will be hunted, and sometimes won't book the hunt unless the outfitter promises "x" amount of game will be taken. It's a good idea to have a general idea of what you want, but this won't, generally, be set in stone. You must watch out, in my humble opinion, that your outfitter does not get too enthusiastic about adding extra animals to your hunt. Some guys will try to talk you into taking many extra animals, and before you know it you are several hundred (or thousand) dollars over your budget.
Hopefully, you are dealing with a reputable outfitter, and ask his references if they had any problems with adding extra game. You must also understand that, while I cannot speak for everybody, I base my margin on what animals are hunted. If you booked an expensive trophy fee animal with me, I may have cut you deals on other animals, or given you a "package" hunt in which some items or fees have been discounted, I will loose money if you don't hunt that animal. If you booked a hunt for bushbuck, impala, warthog and duiker for instance, and I gave you a 20% discount from my normal fees because I offer this particular hunt as a package where everything can be hunted on one concession that we happen to own, and you decided to take another impala rather than the bushbuck, I would be out money and not very happy. Pick a base hunt, and shoot everything on that list that your PH gives you an opportunity for, after that, if you see something you want, and it falls within your budget, take it!
Another suggestion is to book your hunt for a long enough period of time. Nothing is worse for the PH and client than to try to fit in 12 animals on a 10 day hunt. Book five or six animals on an 8 or 10 day hunt, and your trip will be more relaxing and you can spend a little time getting the animals you want, as well as having a little extra time to take an incedental animal that you just "gotta have" when you see it. Good luck on your planning and hunt!

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most places I have hunted are very flexable. I would think you would want to stay away from a package deal with specific animals. I did one package but had no problem adding on (before the hunt) but you still pay for those package animals even if not taken. Prior to the hunt I was able to substutite one species for another with in limits.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Marterius,

I think you will find a lot of flexibility from the outfitters, but if you have particular animals you want to hunt that can be a basic driver for the hunt.

For example, one gent I advised on a hunt several years ago had a hard requirement to take a Thompson's gazelle. He didn't care where in Africa he had to go, or what other animals were available to hunt there. The Tommy was what led me to advise him to hunt Tanzania.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a lot of intersting input!

Of course I clearly see the point that the area to hunt depends on the animals wanted. But it was interesting to get some insights in the economical aspects.

I plan f�r RSA, and I have very good contact whith an agent who also post here, and he seems sympathetic when we talked about this so that is a good start!
But it is very interesting to hear about how things works and how people think about these matters.

Regards,
Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
I have repeat clients from both Spain and Denmark who come down every year with not a clue of what they want to shoot until they get there. It works out well for these guys and for us, because they always shoot a lot of game. Not everyone is that lucky, and careful planning is needed to fall into a budget or other such logistics. Try to plan enough, but not overplan. If you have in mind what you want definitely, let the outfitter know. Then maybe you can let him find a suitable concession and let you know what else is available on the concession(s) in which your hunt will take place, or nearby that he may have access to. This will give you an idea of what extra animals that are easily obtainable, and you can plan for financial contingencies in taking a few extra trophies. Generally, I tend to give people a bit of a discount on a custom hunt if I can schedule the entire hunt in one general location, rather than having to drive five or six hours between concessions for a lot of game that does not occur naturally, without having to resort to put and take hunting (which I won't do under any circumstance). Ask many questions! Just remember, it is your hunt--don't be goaded into something you aren't comfortable with.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marterius,

I agree with you, makeing a list seems ??? well hokey!

My RSA safari company is experimenting with a different approach..$150 per day for hunters and observers, plus trophy fees, then you may shoot whatever you want when you see it or whatever you wish to do...They have 36 species of plainsgame on 3 ranches that range from 40,000 ac. to 500,000 acres.

This was a 2004 special, but it has met with such success that it will be extended into 2005..A 10 day hunt requires a $750 deposit per person..They will also do a 5 or 7 day hunt, but thats a long miserable trip for a short hunt, so I highly recommend 10 day hunts to all my clients..

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Martin,

Unless you buy a package hunt I think any good outfitter/Ph will accommodate your needs -as laid out here by almost everybody so far. Most agents & the PH's themselves want to help you in planning the best experience...if they are worth their salt they will make an effort to fulfill YOUR needs. YOU are the one who will be booking with them again after all...as I can assure you....you will go back to Africa again.

As you may have seen in a lot of the posts here...many trophies are taken when the hunter sees the animal for the first time. A certain kind of light, a special experience...or just the random hands of lady luck that deliver a remarkable trophy just for you at the right time will often result in the subsequent hunting of that animal...even though you may not have planned for it

Where in South Africa are you thinking to hunt?

I think that Bushbuck is arguably one of the most elegant and - quite simply - beautiful trophies to be found there. How are you thinking to mount your trophies?
I hope you are enjoying good summer days there in Goteborg at last! Just out of interest - who are you using to plan your safari?

Thanks,
Andy

Live to Hunt, Fish to Live!

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marterius,

If you were to one day go on an Ethiopian Plains game safari you would have to buy the licenses 30 days prior to your arrival. No license.....no shoot. I usually give the client a percentage for success per species based on past safaris. It does take planning.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I commend your open-minded approach. In my opinion, the mistake many hunters make is to get fixated on certain PG species, and many times their lists are incompatible, ie you won't find those species together. That leads to the infamous "tarmac safari" where you spend a lot of hours driving the highways to get to the special area where the special species occurs. Or to a hunt on a property where exotic species have been "introduced" and if you don't watch out, you might find some of them got off the truck the week before you did.

I would recommend that you pick a country first, then a type of terrain you think you would like to hunt (South Africa is not South Africa..there are many diverse hunting areas each with its own species and type of hunting). Then shoot the animals you find there, and don't waste time driving around!

For example, if you decide you want to hunt the semi-arid Kalahari, you could choose from leopard, eland, kudu, blue wildebeest, oryx, springbok, duiker, steenbok. You won't find a lot of warthog in the true Kalahari, they need water.

Within South Africa, the choices are (generalizing) Eastern Cape, Zululand, and Limpopo Valley. Each has a very different feel, flora, and fauna. The Eastern Cape is least "African" in the sense that you don't get the typical yellow grass and acacia-veldt. Limpopo valley has a lot of mopane. Zululand has thick grasses and acacias.

It is also important to understand the difference between hunting with a landowner-PH and hunting with a roving PH. With the former, you can negotiate anything you fancy, they own the land and everything on it. If you want to shoot 10 impala, and nothing else, that's usually OK. With the latter, the PH usually has some type of quota he is working with on each piece of property he leases and he is trying to sell the entire quota. Thus, he will often offer a balanced "package" of PG to ensure that he does not "run out" of certain desirable species and then he has nothing to offer.

We work with three landowners, one in Botswana (true Kalahari), one in Namibia (Thornveldt, quite high rainfall compared to Kalahari), and one in Zululand (high rainfall in season, thick bush, very high carrying capacity). Each area has its own species. All these guys are very flexible and you can decide what you want to shoot on the fly, with the exception perhaps of leopard where CITES permits have to be arranged in advance.

With the Botswana operator, we also have a package but it's flexible ie 3 large antelope and 3 small antelope. He doesn't care much which you choose, and you can make the decision on the fly, depending on what you come across. Packages tend to save you a little money as the operator knows you are good for a certain amount of revenue. Paying by the drink works well for the hunter but the total bill might be a little higher because the "bartender" doesn't know whether you are going to sit on his only stool all night and nurse one beer!

Consult our website for photos and species. That will give you some feel for the diversity and the individual specie pricing vs. package pricing.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote