New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shona Adventures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been checking out hunting operations for Namibia and Shona Adventures looks very appealing to me. I would like to go on a hunt with my two boys and wife and their lodge looks like something that would be a great place for the family, plus they seem like a small family operation and I appreciate that because we are also a small family business. Has anyone on AR hunted with Shona ?

Thanks,
Paul

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My wife and I spent 14 days with Johann and family of Shona Adventures. We did a variety of activities: sightseeing, surf-casting on the Atlantic coast, quad running on some of the largest dunes in Africa, camel-riding (need to do at least once in your life) and then travelling inland to the beautiful hunt camp. The unique lodge is built into a rocky hillside and uses huge boulders for architectural features. One night a big herd of desert elephants passed through camp so quietly they didn't even wake us (or the dogs) up! Johann, Vellies (Johann's father), and his tracker, Tjokie, are a pleasure to hunt with. I shot three nice animals, a kudu, gemsbuck, and mountain zebra. They're not record book but still very nice trophies. Vera, Johann's wife, Clarissa, (Vellie's wife), and little Zoe keep the camp running smoothly with delicious meals and good company. Etosha National Park and a nearby Himba village are worth seeing also. We highly recommend Shona Adventures. George & Candy Wood

Posts: 63 | Location: Fla. | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Another thumbs up for Shona. Brother Dave and I enjoyed our first taste of Africa in the competent and very friendly hands of the extended Veldsman family in May 2007. We hunted both the Avondschaduw property near Otjiwarongo and the Huab River hills out of Tualuka Lodge, which I found simply stunning. I'd sure love to "work off" a hunt there clearing tracks with a chainsaw, etc. I think the baboons may still be angry at me for shooting their old Uncle Bob ...
Johann and Vera made us feel like old friends. I miss them.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16628 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Isn't "Shona Adventures" the title of Robert Mugube's autobiography? Big Grin

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul:
I hunted with Johann at Shona last year and will be returning this June. I think Shona is an ideal outfit for a small family PG safari. Feel free to give me a PM and I'll be happy to share my insights with you.
Good Hunting. Tom

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
Isn't "Shona Adventures" the title of Robert Mugube's autobiography? Big Grin

The word "Shona" or "Kashona" is used in the Owambo language. It's meaning is little or small and has no relation to Mugabe or Zimbabwe

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Johann

It was a joke and a bloody good one at that!....... hence the little laughing thingy. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
Hi Shakari

I got it that it was a joke and no problem with that, just don't what to get people confused.

Cool

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Johann

Looking at some of the Nobel prize winning statements made over the last few days on AR - I don't blame you! animal

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too spent some time last summer with Johann and recommend his organization. Had a great time and we hunted hard and did well. Very nice people. Feel free to PM me for comments.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RR4hunt
posted Hide Post
Does Anne from Aspen Hill still book for them?

Posts: 43 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote