Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minimum days for Buff
 Login/Join

posted
If you were going to the Caprivi in Namibia for buffalo, what is the minimum numbers of days for which you would go?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ralph,

No matter where you hunt more days are always better so it depends on what you can afford.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RalphBeagle:
If you were going to the Caprivi in Namibia for buffalo, what is the minimum numbers of days for which you would go?

Mark is right on! You may find a 50" buffalo, ten minutes out of camp, on the first day! I wouldn't hold my breath till that happened for me, however.

Buffalo can be hunted sucessfully on as little as a five day hunt, but you better not hold out too long for a real trophy. IMO, 10 days is minimum, and 14 days is much better. These are actual hunting days, and will usually require another day on each end for settle in, and move out! On a 14 hunting day (16 camp), gives you a little squirming room, so you can pass some of the "ALMOST" trophy Buffalo. The 14 day hunt also allows you, in some cases,to take animals that are not available on shorter hunts.

I've not hunted the Caprivi, so I simply do not know how the Buffalo herds are there, and the sugestions above are for MOST Buffalo country, and may be different for the strip!

How ever long you hunt, have a great time! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope I don't have to shoot one until about day 21 on my next trip, so I can stay longer.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ralph,

5 days is so short, too short for me. If everything goes just right great but it might not. I would prefer at least 7 days and preferably 10. If I had to put the hunt off for another year to get the time I would. Just my 2 cents.

Tom Russell

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Generally, PHs don’t like to book dangerous game hunts under 10 days. However, in 4 buff hunts, I have never had to wait more than 4 days for the trophy I was seeking. One 44" buff fell within 2 hours on the first day. In my opinion, buff are easier to predict than leopard or lion. I would not book a cat hunt under 14 days.

Everything depends upon the productivity of the area you book. Make damn sure you are confident of both the PH and the area before booking a buff hunt. Otherwise you may wind up with a poor quality cow...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a bit ago I shot one in zambia within the 1st hours out of camp, sort of by accident. we saw a lone bull go into a bunch of trees surrounded by tall grass. It was just about noon, & we figured he had gone in to the trees to cool off. We could see the tick birds on his back so we made a sneak and got to within about 50'. He woke up and came out of the trees directly towards us. Standing in the tall grass all we could see was his neck and head. Typical of PH's mine had a english accent. A rather severe one at that. After a few seconds of looking he said with his accent Noooo. & I thought he said Goooo. so off goes the 470. The woodleigh hit him in the neck breaking the spine. When we got up to him we found he was a real old timer, diven out of the herds. He was only about 37" but with more character that I could imagine. I was pleased, but the PH wasn't to happy with me. He looks over and asked "you must have really wanted him" I explained that he had said Goooo And he explained that it was Noooo. From that time on he just said shoot.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted buf for 5 days in the Omay last fall and connected 1:45PM the last day. I don't like that expecially when on a package and you have paid for the trophy taken or not. I was happy with a 38" hard bosses although the bosses were not realy big.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
In Caprivi, i would not recommend less than 10 days. If in a conservancy, and not state owned concession, 14 days.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote