THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Feeling Anxious - Heading for First Solo Safari in a few days.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeling Anxious - Heading for First Solo Safari in a few days.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted
My last safari was with my dad decades ago when I was a teenager.

Now, I am heading to Zim in about a week. Elephant bull, tuskless, cape buffalo, zebra and a leopard if we find one.

I am in Europe now. Heading back to the States in a few days to pick up and do final sight in of rifles, get my Hep-B booster shot and pack.

Then, the trip begins. I have made a pre-Safari checklist, and a Safari pack list in order not to overlook anything.

I think I am ready. Why do I feel anxious though?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The Macomber Factor?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Don't worry mate. It goes away after your first Gin & Tonic.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is anticipation instead of anxiety? It'll be fine, go and enjoy yourself. Shoot straight and be safe.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a shopping list. I'd be tingling all over, quite natural. Where are you going, and who will you be hunting with?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do I feel anxious though?

Hard to explain, but for some of us, living a dream is hard to accept, but I bet when the plane touches down in Africa all that will go away.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excitement and anxiousness are pretty close to the same thing. If you weren't excited, there would be something wrong with you or you should find a new hobby.

Best of luck, safe travels, and good hunting.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Damn
Enjoy it and have a blast

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TANKS, I don't want you to feel anxious or nervous, so I will make the sacrifice and go for you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
TANKS, I don't want you to feel anxious or nervous, so I will make the sacrifice and go for you!

Only the best of friends will make that kind of sacrifice.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Re-watch Episode 3452 of The Young and the Restless and all will be clear.

Or just finish preparations and go. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Don't worry mate. It goes away after your first Gin & Tonic.

+1

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
You'll do fine, Andy. Just enjoy it all.

I just finished packing and weighing my gear. Beau and I leave tomorrow. Africa is always a treat; #20 in 20 years for me and #3 in a row for Beau!

Best of luck and we'll compare notes after we're back. beer

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
My last safari was with my dad decades ago when I was a teenager.

Now, I am heading to Zim in about a week. Elephant bull, tuskless, cape buffalo, zebra and a leopard if we find one.

I am in Europe now. Heading back to the States in a few days to pick up and do final sight in of rifles, get my Hep-B booster shot and pack.

Then, the trip begins. I have made a pre-Safari checklist, and a Safari pack list in order not to overlook anything.

I think I am ready. Why do I feel anxious

though?

You don't need to - I should be and I am.

Zim should be a blast.

I am going going to Alaska in one week

Have to do a boat load of work stuff, drive from Florida to Dallas. Do a dove hunt in TX or as Biebs has said a waitering gig. And then get on a plane to Alaska.

I still have do the final sight in for the gun.

Call the charter guy to somehow get to camp.

Talk to the guide - I am going to depend on Biebs for that.

Open my rain gear and thermal gear that is in a box from Mid-way.

Stop by at Cabelas in Gonzales LA to pick my shoes, thermal underwear, sleeping bag ect.

Do a boat load of work and admin stuff for work. Work meetings Houston over weekend.

I have to pack for Alaska, the dove hunting trip, works trips before and after the hunts.

I drive out Thursday morning and I have done nothing yet.

I need to find a packing list for alaska and check it off at Cabelas THursday night.

But Biebs has promised me clear blue skies and view of Mt Mckinley every day.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I guess the anxiety is more of impatience, anticipation, and excitement. Tomorrow I head back to the States (another 20+ hour trip).

I will have four days to tie up all remaining items before I leave. Can't wait. Big Grin

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear that someone besides me has felt this way. Before I made my last trip (to Zim in 2011) I had butterflies for a week, but not the good kind. I had a hard time putting my finger on it too. There was anxiety about my rifle and I arriving in the same places at the same times, about leaving my wife and sons home for two weeks (actually, no small amount of guilt on that point), about whether I should be spending our money on an expensive hunting trip instead of oh, saving for retirement or the kids' college.... But the rational part of my brain had worked through all of that long before, so what was bothering me?

Once I got on the plane for the first leg of the trip, the die was cast. Bags were checked, I was buckled in, I was ready to go! A day and a half later, on the first morning of the hunt, I saw a pair of black rhino, my first wild elephant and a mid-fifties kudu that I didn't want to shoot. I felt great!

I know you will too. Make sure to show us pictures.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
I guess the anxiety is more of impatience, anticipation, and excitement. Tomorrow I head back to the States (another 20+ hour trip).

I will have four days to tie up all remaining items before I leave. Can't wait. Big Grin

Some of the malaria drugs can cause anxiety and depression in the worst cases.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
The drugs I will be taking are supposed to be started TWO days prior. I will start them on the 8th.

One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the feelings that rose up before a big football game. They aren't comfortable but they are a normal part of the sport of dangerous game hunting.

Besides, when you were a kid, what did you really know, anyway? As I age, my life becomes more "real" and I am mortal.

I imagine the anxiety will start to settle once you board your plane. Best wishes on a great adventure!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tank:

Best of luck and let us know how it goes. Good hunting; keep the wind in your face.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote