THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Minimum Rifle Barrel Length in African Countries?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minimum Rifle Barrel Length in African Countries?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Minimum Rifle Barrel Length in African Countries

What are the barrel length restrictions for various African counties? I read on a search of the site a comment that 20" is required for a hunting rifle in Zimbabwe.

My reason for asking is I have Thompson Center Contenders/Encores with several of the barrels at 16", USA minimum. They would work great as short range such as out of a blind for warthogs; I have used them on Hogs in TX with good results.
I would be taking a larger, longer, more manly gun for bigger stuff.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ummm....never thought of that question....maybe Randy Weaver can help....

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Mark, I don't think you will have a problem with the barrel lingth, but some countruies requore the barrels to carry the same serial number as the action, and if you are taking more than one barrel all need to be stamped with the same number as the action!

I have contenders with several barrels but have not taken one to Africa so mine are not stamped. I would have them stamped under the forend wood or synthetic stocks!

I have a 411 JDJ barrel for the contender that was an origenal super 14, 41 Rem Mag barrel rechambered for the 411 JDJ cartridge, and I had a perminantly mounted muzzle brake added to make the barrel long enough so it is legal with a rifle stock. I had it made with the idea of taking it to Africa for a scoped short rifle for Leopard/lion,from a blind over bait in Africa, or black bear over bait in the USA. They are easy to carry in a smaller case!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw on the SAPS form the spot for barrel serial number.
It would be no problem to put the number on the barrel, the gunsmith who made my barrels is local and I go to lunch with him every Monday.

Thanks

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe is 20" (500mm) anything shorter than that requires a handgun permit.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote