THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Your thoughts on M70 416 Rem & CZ550 416 Rigby

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your thoughts on M70 416 Rem & CZ550 416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought about starting this in Big bores but this is Africa specific for me.

I've got a M70 Classic Safari Express 416 Rem and a CZ550 416 Rigby. These are both very good factory rifles, as we all know but not custom stuff. I've been messing around quite a bit with just how I want these rifles set up. Both weigh essentially the same, +/- 9.5 lbs. The crappy things on them I've addressed; M70 - JB Weld and loktite the front ramp and rear base, stronger mag spring, Wisner long steel follower, Williams spring steel extractor, Wisner extractor ring, ditched the gas block. CZ550 - AHR filled in and engraved bolt knob, lifted bolt handle, I also installed the tallest front bead but it needs to be bigger too. Both came from the factory double cross bolted and minimally bedded and I improved on the bedding. I've polished and smoothed both actions, the CZ being much more in need of it, but it will never cycle slick as the M70. The CZ's sights are setup from the factory 100% better than the M70.

The CZ while the same weight has a longer barrel and wears it's weight differently and it too will never balance, swing and point as well as the M70. Scoping the CZ actually centers the weight better but then it's still heavy. Scoping the M70 only has it feeling slightly heavier. The CZ's stock is the better for scoping, it has a neutral comb. The M70 with it's negative drop at comb is like double rifles and Euro hog backs, just perfect for fast iron sight shooting.

Now, loads and bullets. I started off thinking; shoot 400 grains at factory velocities in both, at everything and then came I back round to the same point. But in the meantime burned some brain cells thinking one should be loaded heavy for caliber for DG and one could be loaded light and fast for PG, the Rigby case can do either and the Rem Mag case lends itself to light for caliber. I figure scope the PG gun only. But the M70 416 Rem is the better bush rifle for tight and close but has the smaller case. The CZ has the big case and is really the one to load the 450 grainers in but is bulky...ect, etc, blah, blah, blah...You know all the options.

Anybody else work themselves in circles whith these same kind of mental gymnastics?

I should say that a basis for all this is why pack a 375 for PG when you can shoot a 416. I'd like a real flat shooter for PG like a Woodleigh 350gr or NF 370gr and also, the big Woodleigh 450gr for DG. This thinking is also driven by not wanting to miss opportunity, having the wrong gun and all the while my heavy is a 470 DR.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I usually carry a light and a heavy just because I like to carry two rifles and they fit into my case and don't cost antmore to take. I don't do a lot of mental gymnastics to come to the decision of what rifles to carry.If I chose to carry a single rifle it of course would be a rifle that could do the entire task required which means it would be as heavy as required for the largest game I might encounter. I have on 2 occaisons carried 2 rifles of the same caliber once 2 Mdl 70 375's strictly for backup in case of damage to one. Once a double and a bolt both in 375H&H just because I wanted to take one of each. If I for some reason decided to carry one rifle it would of necessity be my 416Rigby because it is the only real DG rifle I have at the time. If I decided to carry it I would feel well armed to take anything on the African continent. I have rarely taken more than 15 or 20 shots while hunting in Africa on a single safari and I can easily stand the Rigby for that many shots. As to distance I would have no qualms at all taking a 250 yard shot (about the longest I would CHOOSE to take with anything) with it. It is quite accurate. Certainly I would be overgunned for some animals but not to the case where I would carry another 416 with lighter loads and a different setup for this singular use. I have no experience with the 416 Rem only with the Rigby but would think it might easily be capable of the same use, if not then I see no real reason for owning one. I just prefer the Rigby basically for nostalgia and it is pleasant to shoot. The cost per round is really insignificent as I don't plink with ANY of my big bores. Actually when I was going on an African hunt I rarely had to agonize over what I was going to take as that was predetermined by what game I was going to take and that again was determined by how much money I had to spend (which was usually not that much)And I really remember only the last safari I made where I ACTUALLY used 2 rifles. I took a 416 Rigby and killed my Elephant the third day and 2 days later sold all my ammo to a PH friend whose hunters ammo did not get there with his luggage. For the rest of the time I used my 7x57 to take some plains game and camp meat. I just usually shot one rifle the entire Safari either heavy or light. That's the only time I remember actually USING two different guns. My usual complement was a 375 and the7x57 or a 30-06 and I usually just shot the entire Safari with what I started with. I also load only ONE bullet weight per caliber and I use it for everything. Only difference is the heavy usually also has some solids loads for it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Showbart

If your thinking of a safari to include about everything or at least being prepared for anything I'd just take the Mod 70 with a good scope along with your double and just have one of the crew carry your second rifle each time you leave the hunting vehicle. If you are hunting an area where buffalo or elephant may be on the menu the shots more than likely at plains game will be under 200 yards. So at those ranges all you need is a good 400gr soft and a 400gr solid. With that combo you are covered for close range DG with the double, longer shots on buff or plains game with the 400 soft in the 416 and the 416 solids would do for ele or small antelope requiring a solid. That combo would cover literally any situation you might encounter.

The Rigby would do the same but I personally find the CZ to be far from handy and expensive to feed.

Mark

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should say clearly that this thinking has a 416 in the medium role and a 416 in the heavy role and to a greater extent as a backup to heavy double.

The CZ really is FAR from being handy. That's why I figure scope and stick it in a case on the hunting car for longer shots. The M70 is truly handy, especially when left unscoped.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm truly curious, WHY is a CZ unhandy and a Mdl70 handy. What actualy constitutes 'handiness'. I don't mean to start an argument I am really baffeled,which for me is not a hard position to be on these forums. I have and used both CZ/Brno's and Mdl 70's so I am quite familiar with them.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Handy = handles, as I see it. I don't know, and then I do. On the CZ alot of it has to do with the mag box and how it is stocked, and a little to do with the longer barrel. Dimensionally the M70 & CZ receivers are nearly the same. It's the mag box setup on the the CZ to handle the bigger Rigby cases that makes it very bulky in that area. It could be stocked better but not at the factory price point as it would easily triple the cost of a base gun. I had my M70 in 375 shortened by 2" and I was suprised that it didn't have more of an effect on handling. It helpled a good bit but I was hoping for more but the barrel is too thick and heavy.

The handling of the CZ results in an intangible. I have them both here now, unscoped, and it's suprising either how much better the M70 handles or how much more poorly the CZ handles. Depends on how you view it is why I twist up this last bit. Thing is, the M70 is not perfect but it's nice and some view the CZ handling unacceptable.