THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Brain shooting a hippo in Zimbabwe ???

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brain shooting a hippo in Zimbabwe ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can I use a .30-06 to legally brianshoot a hippo in Zimbabwe ?

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
You should know that I've seen .375H&H solids (Federal) fail on the brain shot at Hippo. The skull has a pretty defined slant. We found the solid between the skull and hide on the forehead. This was 1999 in Zambia and was taken by a client. Irritated the hell out of the Hippo and he had to be sorted out.

You need to ask your PH and I strongly suggest you have some solids loaded in your .30-06 if you get the OK. I recommend Larry Barnett at Superior Ammunition. I wouldn't recommend it however, as you may end up with a real problem that cannot be sorted out with an '06.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank: I would strongly recommend a .375 on Hippo, personally. I shot one in the water, head on using a 300 grain .375 Federal Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solid and it penetrated the hide, skull, brain and exited out back. It killed the hippo, but you need to make sure that the hippo, for a straight on brain shot, does not have his head angled back too much, as you might just give him nothing more than a severe headache and you might also be charged a trophy fee for an unrecovered hippo. Big Grin I would also recommend Larry B. at Superior Ammunition as well as John LaSala at Safari Arms for custom loaded ammo. Smiler

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm going from memory but I think the minimum for hippo in water in Zim is .270...... If you do a search on this forum I think you'll find Ganyana posted something about it a while ago.

I'd recommend a good solid though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.30-06 for hippo? I wouldn't call it ideal, but it will work. I sat right next to a lady client last year in Zambia as she brained a hippo at 127 yards with a .30-06, using soft points. Hippo sank like a rock!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.375 is what's said to be the minimum requirement, but PH's are very loose on the enforcement of it. I wouldn't try it with an .06. If you're asking because of the guns you'll have in camp, you're better off borrowing one of the larger caliber camp provided guns.

Wouldn't try it with a .270 either unless distance is less than 60 paces. .300 works perfectly with a 200 grain solid.

You hit it you've bought it, remember that. Not one of those animals you go big for on light tackle. Stick with what's recommended. Whether you use .300 or .375 the brain is the same size.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find that there are separate minimums for on land or in water.

On land, I think the minimum is 9.3 x 62 and in water, .270. I might be wrong but I don't think so.

Ganyana or Don will be able to confirm or otherwise.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
This is from the 2010 Zambezi Valley Auction guidelines:

quote:
WEAPONS PROHIBITION AND HUNTING RESTRICTIONS
PARKS AND WILDLIFE (GENERAL) REGULATIONS, 1990

PART A
Buffalo
Elephant
Hippopotamus

Any person who hunts any animal specified in Part A of the Third Schedule shall use a weapon having a rifled barrel and propelling a projectile of not less than nine comma two millimeters in diameter with not less than five comma three kilojoules of energy at the muzzle.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just curious ..... I'll take my Model 70 .375. It'll put 3 shots in 1 1/4" at 100 yds, so I'll take it. I just didn't know what was the minimum requirement.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good choice Frank. You won't regret it. tu2