one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
I am subscribed to AHI and this this news article arrived on my desktop

Cheers, Peter
---------------------------------

AHI News : Zambian hunting allegations
on 2006/10/3 11:23:06

African Hunting Info has been contacted by a source in Zambia alleging that Rashid Randera, who has alleged ties to Mangomba Safaris, Kwalata Safaris, Busanaga Trails, Boabab Trails, Nyampala Safaris, Nyumba Safaris and Exclusive Safaris has been denied entry to the United.

It is also alleged that Randera‘s booking agents are using professional hunters and company names to hide Randera’s identity According to our source Randera is part of a consortium attempting to take control of all the prime Zambian hunting blocks. An example as how this group handle their bookings, according to our source.

“A client booked a hunt into Upper Lupande this year, Mangomba Safaris. During his hunt he was surprised to find out that he was in fact hunting Lower Lupande held by Kwalata Safaris. They also legally achieve this by moving into other hunting blocks under their control by using the option of hunting a second area permitted by ZAWA legislation. Although the client may have booked the hunt for example with Mangombo Safaris, the hunt is actually conducted on a second area permit in a different area e.g. with Kwalata Safaris. This is the loophole that will be used by Randera. Prospective clients must ensure that they hunt with the company and in the area they booked the hunt, and that all licenses issued in their name bear the company name of which they booked the hunt. If they are to hunt a second area, then the company name and owner holding the lease and the area name for the particular second block to be hunted should be available to them before booking the hunt.

When Randera was contacted he replied, “As you know, the U.S.A provides the biggest clientele and therefore he (our source) has used the 9/11 situation to discredit me because I am a Muslim in the hope that I too could be branded a terrorist and be isolated from hunters. I must admit that he has succeeded in getting me denied a fresh visa to the States in spite of my going there for the last 20 years. In fact the US embassy have not denied it to me but they are checking me out.

The information to you says that 7 companies are fronting for me and are “presently †attempting to take control of all the hunting blocks. They are not attempting to- they are established operators and have been in business for a long time and successfully. It would be interesting to conduct a poll amongst the hunters that have visited all the areas he mentioned and see how many went away unhappy.â€

He also mentioned that despite not being granted a visa he was fully booked for the 2006 season and that most slots for the 2007 season were already taken.

Furthermore, our source suggests that hunting of Black lechwe in Bangweulu, should possibly be boycotted by all hunting clients visiting Zambia, as Randera is the only outfitter authorised by ZAWA to buy licenses for this area.

Randera replied that this area was on tender and all the outfitters bid for the area. “I won it legally – yet this person wants it boycotted – why?â€

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
interesting - especially executive safaris - i went with them once and had the best PH I ever had, but the worst outfitter. i thought they went out of business when joseph zumla went broke

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
BUTCLOC,who was your PH in Zambia? The EXECUTIVE SAFARIS, you mention, was that a dirivitive of the old EXECUTIVE HUNTING out of Opopka, Florida, owned by Charley Goldenberg?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mac - at the time joseph zumla was head of executive safaris and stewart findlay cooper was the PH. stewart was fabulous doing things like furnishing the camp because zumla was to cheap to do it. to get to camp you could fly in a 180 for 800 or pay zumla 2000 to fly you in with a king air, then he'd fill the plane with all his stuff and you could pay for it. I had a bag delayed by delta that had my 375, scope ammo etc. in it. he promised for the entire hunt to get it into camp, but never did, unless we'd pay him 2000 for his king air flight, even though his airline had a twice a week stop at a village less then a days drive away. the crowning gloyr to the guy was that he wanted to hold our passports with him in town so we wouldn't loose them in camp. At time time we were to dumb and let him. then on the way out, we couldn't even check into the hotel without them, and he was at a party and didn't show up for 6-8 hrs latter. Lots more on that hunt, but my finger would get sore typing. I had booked the hunt through safari outfitters. after the hunt I filed a bum report with sci, and all i got out of safari outfitters was a letter calling me a dumb chit for critizing the outfitter.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
This was a hot topic when I was in Zambia at the end of August. Seems Rashid was behind the scenes pulling strings to get Leopard Ridge kicked off the Nyampala concession. Supposedly one of the best areas in the Northern Luangwa Valley. I believe Kathi posted a story on the court system upholding the verdict a month or so ago.

While I was in camp we had a Leopard Ridge PH come through and spend the night with us before heading back to Lusaka. To say he was bitter would be an understatement. He said Rashid had the courts in his pocket and used underhanded techniques to get them kicked out. Of course, he might be biased. Big Grin

On the other hand, in Lusaka, I heard from another in the hunting biz that Leopard Ridge did overshoot quotas and a couple of other infractions... just hearsay, but what I heard. Regardless, most said this Rashid fellow was not a "good" guy.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
THIS whole GMA licencing issue of whom gets which concession area has unfortunately reared it's ugly head and gained momentum since the ex: (President Chiluba) in 2001 declared ALL HUNTING within Zambia to be put on lay-by for that season, following which many outfitters lost thousands in revunue and ALSO ZAWA lost money as well. Since 2002 onwards the rumblings and in fighting have essentially continued with the result being what we see today where some 8 or 9 outfitter companies have had their concession licences stripped or under threat to be stripped. Thers are a number of cases presently in the legal (nightmare) system and ZAWA could also be up for big legal fees as well

ZAWA to a large degree is funded from outside of Zambia (EU doner money) and essentially ZAWA does not have enough money to be drawn into these costly legal battles. It is a bit of a problem which is made worse by self interest and some quasi political manipulation to a degree.

We being a (private hunting ranch) whom dont operate in GMA'S are fortunately left out of the present squabbles and debate

Who said life in Africa and particlarily for hunting operators was a breeze (-:

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote