THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Are there any hotels within walking distnce of DSC 2011?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there any hotels within walking distnce of DSC 2011?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I've always stayed at the Comfort Inn while attending DSC, but it is a pain in the rear to beg rides to and from. Are there any hotels within walking distance? It would seem easier to stay close to the convention and take a cab to the AR events.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Yes, try Aloft. It is right across the street, literally. I booked through the DSC site and the rate was something like $120, if you booked directly from Aloft site it was over $200. It is a W-type hotel, i.e., modern. I stayed there last year and it was very nice. The hotel is probably less than a year old.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/...n_US&propertyID=3146

Mike

Posts: 21682 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
There are several.

I stayed at Aloft last year and was well pleased with the quality of the room and the proximity to the convention hall.

Magnolia is also close.

The hotel that is most closely affiliated with the convention center (Can't recall the name, Hyatt maybe?) is an option as well.

If you look at DSC's website, specifically the convention page, they have had a map of the closest hotels and attractions as well as a link that will allow you to book your hotel.

We are at the Magnolia FWIW.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As others have noted, DSC has arranged with several hotels to accomodate convention visitors, the host hotel is the Hyatt and there will be shuttle buses from the convention center to the hotel and back on a regular basis (the shuttle service should work much better in 2011 as road repairs are to be complete making for a more direct route). Also, the room blocks reserved by DSC are filling up fast and when they are full the room rate will surely go up. Will and Mike are right, the Aloft and Magnolia are both really nice hotels and about a 3 minute walk from the convention center doors.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dang! Filling up already. Really hope to make the convention this year, for the first time.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16628 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you map quest search for directions you can find all the hotels in the area too

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would second the Magnolia. About 3/4 mile away.
Problem with the Dallas convention center is that is about 4-5 miles away from dining and entertainment which is mostly on the north end of Downtown Dallas. The convention center in on the south end.
Not familiar with Aloft?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AR has a block of rooms at the Comfort Inn and you only have to rent the room not make a down payment of the hotel to stay there. It is a good buy for us po'folk.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I've made reservations at the Magnolia.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI: Regarding hotels near the Dallas Convention Center, the DSC room block at the Hyatt is 58% booked, at the Magnolia the room block is 57% booked as of this past Monday.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2899 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well the other thing to think about is, will it be 15 degrees again...walking in that shit would be insane! I'm hoping for a milder winter this year!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son just put our reservations in at the Magnolia, a couple days ago. We'll be in town from about noon thurs., til am Sun.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote