Notify
Tools

Re: Most exotic meal?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
I've eaten some weird stuff..

Sea urchin, brains, sea cucumber, testicles, snake, eyeballs...The list goes on...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland "Oysters" were tasty in Zim! Stuffed Pigeon in some of the places here in Cairo should count as exotic....only because one is never too sure what one is eating in addition to the pigeon!

Also, every Easter it is traditional for my family to roast a lamb on a spit. It is great fun to tell the neighborhood kids who have never seen this that we are cooking a German Shepherd. Well, last year all the curious kids were gathered round and the lamb was stopped on the spit as we were preparing to butcher it. I casually told the group of about 6 eight year olds that the eyes were the best part, dug one out with my knife and popped it in my mouth. These kids scattered as if I had threatened them all with the same fate as the lamb!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Raw kudu backstraps, dribbled with lemon juice, cracked pepper and coriander. YUM!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It is great fun to tell the neighborhood kids who have never seen this that we are cooking a German Shepherd.

Why eat the Shepherd when the sheep and lamps are tastier?

My most exotic is Eland and Kudu tongue made into snitzels. Beaten veal is much nicer.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mopane worms at some restaurant in Victoria Falls.

Not super exotic, but quite tasty was the buffalo tale stew over rice. The cooks in the african camps really do a fantasic job on wild game. We tasted most of the animals & fish that we shot & caught.

I have been to Zim 2x and Zambia once. On all of the trips I thought the food prepared in camp was one of the highlights.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
On a trip to Diyabakr (sp?), Turkey, the hotel served sheep's eyeball soup every Tuesday. I hate having my meal looking back at me.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote