Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Judging Kudu Trophy
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted
Definitely a good thread. All of these great pictures gets me fired up for another kudu. The one kudu I have taken (this May in the Karoo) measured at a meager 46 1/2. However, he has deep curls and was truly a memorable hunt. Thus I was and remain very happy with the trophy. Funny thing was, as we were heading back to camp we saw several bulls that the ph said were well over 50". At least I have another benchmark for my next safari!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Its a beauty of a kudu, no matter what the length.

I am guessing 53.5", though.

Here's one that went just a bit over 50". Its got similar form to yours but I'd say yours has it by 3" or so.

Cheers,

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the over 60 inch Kudu that I have seen and up to 67 inches shot in Chinhoyi Zimbabwe, have the tight curls with not much spread, but the hole down through the middle is the size of a basket ball....

Some very big Kudu turn in at the tips such as Mark in SC displays and the one on my web page, this is a gene pool, and produces some real monsters...

Those with wide spreads and that are very striaght and turn out at the tips are another gene pool and as a rule don't measure up to record book, but they are beatiful on the wall and probably more impressive to most folks...I have seen a few of these in the 56 inch class and they are mighty impressive...

Marks and his wifes Kudu are very impressive indeed..True trophy quality...

I notice not much imphasis has been put on horn mass, but to me that is critical in judging trophy Kudu...and most other species.

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote