Find
Notify
Tools

Not another giraffe topic!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just kidding guys! clap
Seems that there have been alot of guys on here that have taken a giraffe this season. Or hell, any season for that matter!!! Lets share some pics of them!! I know this topic has been done before, but who cares!! Lets do it again!

On the post about the toughest plains game, there is alot of talk on there from fellow hunters who have matched wits with a big stink bull either this season or in seasons past... Lets see them!! I know, that you may have posted the pics on here before, but so what... there are tons of guys on here that would love to see them again and of course then there are the guys on here who have taken one before and have never shared the pic with all of us...
So, lets see all of those pics and hear all of the stories of the big stink bulls that ya'll have taken over the years!!! thumb

He was with a group of about 6 cows and a couple of smaller bulls when we found them. Luckily, he was a good 100 yards from the rest of them and they were all in some really thick stuff. We got out of the truck and started to put a stalk on him. We got down into a dry creek bed and were paralleling him when all of a sudden, 3 waterbuck cows blew out of the brush right at him. He immediately went into high alert. And pegged us almost right away. He began to fast walk it outta there when all of a sudden, he stopped broadside to us at about 90 yards in a small opening. My PH threw the sticks down and told me to take the shot whenever I got the chance. WHAM, first shout slams into his shoulder and he lights outta there like it was a pebble being thrown at him! We take off running, trying to put another one into him.. After about 100 yards of full tilt running, we see him out there at about 100 yrds running all out full tilt, quartering away... Second shot hits him high in the shoulder. this one slows him down consideribly.. H was still going away when the 3rd shot hit him right in the base of the tail. This one put him down. As we walked up on him, I went ahead and put one more into the boiler room for good measure and just like that, I had the trophy of my dreams! and he happened to fall in a clearing! Even better!!
He was my #1 trophy on my wish list and ended being everything I could have wanted.. huge, mature and black as night!

Lets see yours!!!!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What did you hit him with? Caliber and bullet weight?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that!!
It was a .300 RUM with some 200 grain Swift A Frames.. It did the trick.. Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nicr Giraffe. They are fun to hunt.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
A client of mine hunted this old black bull early May this year near Thabazimbi. The bull had broken out of one of my concessions and walking with some giraffe cows on a neigboring game reserve.

We managed to get nice and close to the bull - about 60 yards - and Mike used a Browning in .300 WSM with 180gr factory ammo to kill the bull with a single head shot.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 855 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Fjold says this is THE GIRAFFE KILLER, the 500 Rafiki, has a long neck. Wink

I suppose a single .510/570gr of proper construction at 2420 fps (touted 500 Rafiki ballistics) would be just about right to break the giraffe's neck with a solid shoulder shot. Wink Whip lash don't you know?

Thanks for a great thread. I just added giraffe to my must have list:

1. Giraffe
2. Eland
3. Elephant
4. Hippo
5. Another Buffalo

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I had a blast hunting my Black Stink Bull! I copied a section from a article that I had published in African Hunter Magazine a few months ago, here's my shot(s) - - - - - - -

quietly I loaded my Remington .416 with federal solids, I took the scope off, I like shooting with the iron sights much more, we started a walk, after a hour or so, Brent turned to me with a big grin, there is the famous, Mr. Gerry G! Wow, was he dark, his head was a cream color, beautiful he is! This is the first time I got to see him, he was standing about 250 yards from us, I could only see his neck and head. When he turned away we made our move, keeping a big tree between us and him. It was good thick brush there, so it made it a bit easier to get up on him. I always see these videos where the giraffe stands there and lets the guy walk up to him, this wasn’t at all the case, this guy was always looking around, he was a bit on the edge. As we got to about 70 yards, Brent starts the video, Gerry G was facing away, Brent told me, “He’s turning around, take him when he’s broadside!†I had my .416 up to my shoulder as he turned, as he got a little short of full broadside angle towards us, I put the sight right on the point of his shoulder and let one rip! The bull did a few steps back, staggering , regained himself, as I bolted another round he started to run, across in front of us, to the right, you know how a Giraffe runs, looks like slow motion, well let me tell you, this guy is covering a lot of ground! He then turned straight away, and running hard! I settled just about 2 feet above his tail and gave him another round, this time his back legs begin kicking out to the sides, and his back end dropped some, but he continued to run now quartering to my left, as I bolted another round I short stroked it, I never did that before, this shot was just a click! This time I bolted a third round, hit him again and the last and 4th shot I hit him again! The last two shoots entered just in front of the hind quarters, within inch of each other! (Not bad), angling forward! He was now out of sight, Brent took off running yelling to me to come on! Well let me tell you, Brent is 6 foot 4 inches, lean, and I’m 5-9, and, well, a little “stocky!†he’s like a damn gazelle! Me on the other hand have to take 3 steps to his one! I finally caught up with him, the Giraffe had disappeared, Brent told me that he was just here, walking, so I know the shots were good! The Trackers begin looking, no blood! None! After a short time Brent points to his ear, “did you hear that?“ Again he hears a thumping noise, like a hollow thud, I couldn’t hear it! Brent said to stay with the Trackers, he made a big circle around the area of the noise, After only a few minutes I heard a whistle, then the good words, “Here he is, he’s down!â€
The thumping noise was his head hitting the ground.

PH Brent Leesmay behind the Bull, his checking out the video

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bulls guys!! Thanks for sharin with all of us. I wish some more of our fellow members would share their recent or past expirences as well with all of us!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a hard time with pictures but I took my black bull with Vaughan Fulton in 04. Used my 338 Wm 225 gr Barnes X. One shot a short walk on his part and done. It reconfirmed my love for Barnes X's. I am finally picking up my tanned hide this week or lets say I am paying for the tanning and then having Mike Showers ( who also did the tanning) do a shoulder mount.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted Hide Post
We hunted with a man and his wife from Arkansas. She wanted a giraffe. It was one of the most fun hunts I witnessed on our trip.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair

http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and son hunted them and had a good time. THey were impressed with how tough they are and how hard to hunt. I doubt we hunt them again due to the expense of shipping the hide, tanning the hide and making a rug.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat, this is one trophy where the trophy fee is the cheap part sort of like owning a horse the purchase price is the cheap part. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Posting for - DIE OU JAGTER

Taken with Vaughan Fulton in 2004

Used my 338 Wm 225 gr Barnes X. One shot a short walk on his part and done. It reconfirmed my love for Barnes X's. I am finally picking up my tanned hide this week or lets say I am paying for the tanning and then having Mike Showers ( who also did the tanning) do a shoulder mount.

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Nice photos boys! Keep 'em coming. thumb

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for helping post the pic Widowmaker!!

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed my giraffe hunt, its a poor picture, and I had a horrrrrrendous hangover. You can see the bullet hole left and down from his eye. When they fall it is like a dinosaur coming down. jj

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted Hide Post
I witnessed a giraffe hunt only three weeks ago. I only hope someday to be behind the rifle. It was one of the most entertaining hunts I have witnessed.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair

http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm already wanting to go back and hunt one of those big bulls that stays yellow color!! That way, I'll have a matching pair of ped mounts in the casa!! Now that'll take some re-arranging in the house!!!

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Scottyboy,

Funny you should say that, when i was hunting this black skink bull I told my PH that I'd like to come back and take a light colored one. This way I could have one of each, (light & dark) pedestal shoulder mounts.

The day after I shot my Bull we ran into a herd of Giraffe. There was a big nice orange colored bull in there with all this cows.

My PH, Brent, just about had me talked into shooting it. Believe me, I was close. But I just said, if I shoot this one now, I'll have nothing to come back for!

Next trip!

Widowmaker416

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL!! You're exactly right! You've got to save those kinds of hunts so you'll have an excuse to go back ASAP!! I did the same thing with the eland bull. He's numero uno on the list next year!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron, thanks for the assist, but I must say there is and always will be a reason to return to Africa, eh! clap

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
I must say there is and always will be a reason to return to Africa, eh!

You said it Ed! I will always have a reason to go back to Africa! Just saying that gets me worked up!

cheers Ed

Widowmaker416

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am leaving for three weeks of bowhunting on Aug.11 and giraffe is definitely on my list.I have taken two in the past and I love hunting them.Poor mans elephant is what I call them.The price has been reduced as the operator is wanting to take out a few and as such I might want to take a couple.

Yeee haaaa!!!!!!!!!

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well thanks guys, you just cost me some money Big Grin

A giraffe is now #1 on my list.

They must look bloody fantastic when they fall.

And all that "wall to wall carpet"

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL!!! Ah, yes Blair, another victim!1 But its a good addiction.. When are ya going over there??

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Great pics boys...

Wanna see a bull getting down? Just download this small video from last year!!

http://www.weatherbyrifler.com/xo/S%f8r-Africa%202005-1.mpg
)Right click and save as)

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
whatever you were shooting certainly was good giraffe bull medicine!! Nice video!
What were you shooting??

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
9,3X74R

How do you post a video?

I'd like to get my giraffe video on.

Excellent giraffe, boy is he dark! Good video too!

Widowmaker416

one of us
posted Hide Post

That is a really nice looking little double. I guess it is a 9.3X74R. Wink

What is the make?