New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time to Africa-Cull hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for awhile and now the time has come to post.

I am in the process of planning my first trip to Africa and wanted to ask the collective wisdom of the members of doing a cull hunt as my first safari (as part of a larger trip to South Africa).

I want to take a trip that would involve travelling from Cape Town to Kruger NP and I am think of doing a 5 day cull hunt along the way.

My question is, should I save the experience of my first safari for a dedicated hunting trip?

I want the experience to be special but I almost can't think of a trip to SA without doing some kind of hunting.

Thanks again and don't be surprised if I ask alot of newbie questions.

Jon

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most folks would make the hunting priority no. 1 and the sightseeing priority no. 2!

You are looking at a good 3 days on the road there, and that's if you go at it seriously. You will no doubt want to make several stops along the way so figure a week on the road. Avoid Johannesburg, there's nothing special to see there. I would advise you to take the coast route (garden route) and then maybe cut inland at Oudshoorn. Last time I checked the roads through the Transkei were dubious. If they have been fixed, then I would keep going all the way to Zululand and then head NW to KNP from there. The "platteland" (flat land that forms most of the interior of RSA) is relatively boring.

If you need a suggestion re cull hunt, let me know. I can fix you up with a good cull hunt in Zululand, hunting on foot. You can also do a springbok cull but that's not really hunting.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be in the minority here but;

I can't fathom flying,getting off the plane,hunting,getting back on the plane,go home.

The hunting is unbelievable,but some of my best memories have also come when not hunting.

Etosha,Kruger,fly fishing for trout in Dullstroom,walking around Windhoek,battlefield tour of Zulu wars....

Have met many nice people and am better for it.

I've been twice to Africa,hunted around 4 weeks,using 5 different outfitters,in two countries.Shot a pile of trophies.Compared to some here thats nothing,and I am far from an expert.

Book 8 days with an outfitter;hunt 4,take a day off to see some local sights,arrange this thru that outfit(lots arrange this kind of service)
hunt 3 more.Before take 3 days to get there,and after 2 days.2 weeks total.

I break up each trip into segements,you also don't have to target big dollar species.

A great hunt in Natal for reedbok,mountain reedbok,vaalrhebok can be had for $350/day plus trophy fees(about 1800)all no fences!totally free range.5 day booking.

Or take a 3 animal package duiker,cape kudu,bushbuck same money same area.

These are animals that are good for the area you plan to travel in.Good lesson learned;very first animal i took 58' kudu in limpopo cost 1850,shot a 59" in Namibia $800!(also culled a 55" for 200,had no male genetals)Hunt animals that occur as close to possible in native habitat.

First outfitter passed on a low 20" Nyala,was 2800 trophy fee.Last year shot a honest 30" for 1800,in Natal.We passed up 26"ers like weeds!

Ive also done my share of culls,during trophy hunts;but I think if your hunting,your better off taking some decent trophies.

Good luck,I enjoy planning these as part of the trip.

dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't fathom flying,getting off the plane,hunting,getting back on the plane,go home.

The hunting is unbelievable,but some of my best memories have also come when not hunting.

I am in total agreement thumb There are some great museums in Bloemfontein, and enjoyed "just smelling the flowers" in the North West Province. I have posted some pictures of a Boer Family Cemetary in the Orange Free State here on AR. When the hunting was completed we spent an afternoon calling jackals near a sheep farm, great fun.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with woodmanDan & JBoutfishn - hunt some, but also see the other points of interest. I just returned with my wife & a few friends on this year's trip to So. Africa; the friends wanted to visit Kruger, & I agreed to go, but I'll confess, my heart wasn't into it. However, once there, I TOTALLY enjoyed the experience. Hunting is GREAT, but the other activities offered are also very memorable & well worth the time.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm doing an 8 day hunt then doing the tourist thing for a week in RSA. My outfitter warned me that RSA has pretty strict gun storage laws (essentially it has to be stored in a police approved safe). Some of the places we're staying don't have rifle safes. Addo National park could store my rifle but only at the main camp and I wouldn't be able to retrieve it during the weekend. Oddly enough every hotel, camp and guesthouse we're staying at has a handgun safe. Too bad all of mine are autoloaders.

I'm renting a rifle to simplify things.

Posts: 34 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Do a cull hunt, your regular safari and whatever else you can.

I have been in 30 nations and hunted in 5. I recommend doing as much as you can when you can as you only get one trip.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To each his own but, subject to your personal preferences, I'd suggest that you NOT do a cull hunt for your first African hunting experience.

I don't know any details but culls can turn into work, not fun pretty quickly. I am planning on going on a cull hunt shortly but I am the exception to the normal victim of African fever. I like to hunt them and like to see them fall after a good shot, but I don't care if they're all the same species or not. Most people don't feel the same and that is why I'm suggesting you seriously consider the "cull" part of your hunting plans.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'd listen to WoodmanDan. I would not do a cull, it is just killing and a hunt means more than that to me.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It’s obvious that you’re interested in hunting and sightseeing – well go, do both and decide on which you want to focus on more during future trips.

There are very few boring places in South Africa. Hook up with local guides that know the different areas and/or are experts on your fields of interest. You could spend a lifetime and still discover fascinating things every day – be it in rural SA or elsewhere.

If you have the opportunity to do a cull hunt go for it. The experience will help you shape your frame of reference for future SA hunting expeditions. You might like it or you might not – you won’t know until you’ve done it.

SA is a great place, both for hunting and for sightseeing. Enjoy.

PS. I'm sure most South Africans on this forum, even (especially?) those that would stand to gain nothing from your intended visit, would gladly assist with providing you with info and contacts.

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your replies!

I am most likely taking this trip with my wife who is not a hunter and I think she would get bored if I hunted for more than 5 days. So far I am planning on starting in Cape Town then driving the Garden Route to Port Elizabeth. One of the outfitters I am interested in has a management hunt in the Eastern Cape. I would then fly to Joburg in order to go to Kruger.

This is a rough schedule and I'm trying to do the research to make this a great trip. I'm planning on a minimum of 14 days but can extend another week if necessary.

It should be noted that while I am not interested in taking trophies; I am not about just shooting animals either. The outfitter has assured me that the hunt will be fair chase and no different than trophy hunting (except for the animals of course).

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
A Cull hunt is worth it, I shot a few culls and more hunting is great.

I am not big on outside influences changing my idea of a good hunt. If your wife isn't into hunting you might be better off having her meet you in after your safari.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest some distinction between culls,management,and trophy hunts.

A ph/owner of a propetry asking you to take a wounded/sick/old or substandard genetic animal is more a target of opportunity.A management animal.

Most true culling in SA,it is my understanding,is done at night with a spot light.Cam Greig is offering that in the outfitters forum at present for impala.

Both can be interesting,But for the flavor of the first time;I would think a little spot and stalk,african style;regardless of how big the trophy is,is more appropriate.

Kruger is good;there are private lodges,both inside and outside,or you can do it on your own.I rented a house for a couple of days,self catered.Worked out well.PM me i can dig up name of real estate co. used.Nice to be on your own schedual.

Take a good 300 or 400 zoom or equivilent camera for game drives,you won't be sorry.200 is a little short,some times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would plan a hunt and not worry wether my wife was into it or not. I did that and she was so amazed at seeing the animals and the scenery that now she can hardly wait for our return trip. Every turn you make and every hill that you top will bring you another adventure. You never know what is waiting for you around the next bend in the road. I went with my son and three non-hunters and by the end of the two weeks my daughter had her first kill and can hardly wait for more, which she has already received. Take her along on the hunt , much of it is just like sightseeing as you sit in the back of the truck and watch the landscape unfold and the next animal to appear.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Culling is not hunting it is killing plain and simple... YOU will be shooting head shots and spotlights..probably even baiting to bring them in close...

I love Africa and have embraced her and my time there is special...My wife also loves it there and is pineing to get back to wild Africa the Selous in Aug of 09, me too!!!

The best with your plans,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am going to say some hard things here that some may disagree with, but so be it.

There is no way that I would ever do a cull hunt in Africa or anywhere. That is to hunting what butchering is to husbandry. Leave the culling to the paid killers.

And so-called game viewing is not what I am after in Africa. I want to see truly wild animals. I have no interest in seeing human-acclimated and jaded game farm creatures posing for my camera.

I can go to Disney World for that. Game viewing is a farce and a travesty. People are driven in 4x4s to within the merest few meters of a beast and say to each other, "Hunters are evil to shoot these poor creatures. See how they are so helpless and trusting?"

I go to the zoo to see such things.

When I go to Africa, I go to hunt.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going to say some hard things here that some may disagree with, but so be it.

There is no way that I would ever do a cull hunt in Africa or anywhere. That is to hunting what butchering is to husbandry. Leave the culling to the paid killers.

And so-called game viewing is not what I am after in Africa. I want to see truly wild animals. I have no interest in seeing human-acclimated and jaded game farm creatures posing for my camera.

I can go to Disney World for that. Game viewing is a farce and a travesty. People are driven in 4x4s to within the merest few meters of a beast and say to each other, "Hunters are evil to shoot these poor creatures. See how they are so helpless and trusting?"

MR

This is probably why you did not post the question – rxgremlin did. The two of you don’t just go by different names, but you probably also look different, think different and prefer different things.

He probably has no desire to acquire any of you biases. He simply asked:

“...should I save the experience of my first safari for a dedicated hunting trip?â€

His question wasn’t about you. He did not ask for a lecture on what he should like or must detest. He wanted to know: Should I choose A or B, what do you recommend?

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riaan:
quote:

MR

This is probably why you did not post the question – rxgremlin did. The two of you don’t just go by different names, but you probably also look different, think different and prefer different things.

He probably has no desire to acquire any of you biases. He simply asked:

“...should I save the experience of my first safari for a dedicated hunting trip?â€

His question wasn’t about you. He did not ask for a lecture on what he should like or must detest. He wanted to know: Should I choose A or B, what do you recommend?

As I said, I said some hard things, and some, meaning you in this case, will disagree.

I normally don't engage in debate on such topics on this forum. I just state my opinions, or God forbid, the facts, and leave it at that.

But your reply was so pointed and cheeky, that I believe I will depart from my usual practice in this instance.

To suggest that rxgremlin asked a question and did not expect honest and heartfelt answers is condescending to him.

My answer was a bit of a lecture, perhaps, but it was also and certainly an utterly unequivocal recommendation, as you have obviously seen.

Yet you suggest that my answer and recommendation were all about me. I suppose that is true to the extent that they were mine. But your response, and characterization of my answer as biased, is condescending to me.

Why don't you just disagree, instead of making this personal?

Hell, you don't even know me. If you did, then I would understand your attitude.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Unless you have plenty of time, I wouldn't recommend trying to do the Cape and the KNP as part of the same trip because they're so far apart. Either hunt in the Cape and then do the tourist thing there or hunt close to the KNP and then go into the park. There's plenty to do and plenty of good hunting in both areas and by combining both areas in one trip, you'll miss an awful lot.

Personally, I think it'd actually be a better idea to hunt the Tuli Block in Botswana and then go into the top end of the KNP (which is a nicer area anyway) than it would be to try to do the Cape and the KNP in one trip.

Whether you book a trophy hunt or a cull is purely up to you and I guess that decision depends on whether you want simply to kill lots of animals or whether you prefer to hunt for trophies and the joy and thrill of hunting. Personally, my option would obviously be a true hunt.

Hope that helps. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's some people in here who obviously need a stepladder to get down off their high horse.

Let me get this straight.....culling, which has a biological purpose and is often a necessity, is simply "KILLING", said with a sneer, but KILLING an animal because you want to is a much higher calling.....I got it....I just wonder if the animal does.

I also get it, "paid killers" are somehow not on the same level as someone who kills for his pleasure when he is paying for it.

Bah!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't know if that comment was aimed at me or not, but if it was, my intention wasn't particularly to criticise culling. I was pointing out that the two activities are very different from each other and I consider my comment perfectly valid. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shakari, I do believe it was directed at mrlexma.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shakari:

It was not directed at you, your post was helpful, not judgmental or condescending. Big difference.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there may be some confusion here about what a 'cull hunt' constitutes.

rxgremlin has stated clearly that: "The outfitter has assured me that the hunt will be fair chase and no different than trophy hunting (except for the animals of course)."

So where exactly is all the talk of shooting from a vehicle with spotlights coming into this? Yes, a trip to crop excess animals will usually rely on spotlights and shooting from the car to achieve defined management targets. BUT there are plenty of outfitters who offer normal walk/stalk hunts where, instead of searching for a 55" kudu bull, you are looking for a cow, or a young bull. There is nothing wrong with this and it gives all of the sensations of a trophy hunt without the hefty pricetag and taxidermy headaches. You go home with pictures and memories.

I have not done a dedicated 'cull hunt' as you describe sir, but I have taken 'cull/management' animals whilst on safari and enjoyed the experience as much as taking the high dollar trophies...

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/184105178

See Milwall Paul's hunt report of a cull hunt for an example of this.

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It wasn't my intention to start a debate about cull hunting on the forum. I was merely asking if doing a fair chase management hunt instead of a traditional hunt would "ruin" my first experience in Africa.

Rest assured I would not be happy to spotlight animals at night and shoot them off a bakkie.

Shakari brought up something that I have been thinking alot about; is my plan "too much" for one single trip. I do want to go to Cape Town but realize that to get to anywhere else I will need to do some traveling. This takes time and energy not to mention what do I do with my rifles while traveling around.

As I said, I am in the palnning stages. Nothing set in stone and I am willing to modify my plans based on the information I get. That is why I am not trying to do this at the last minute.

It is vitally important to me that my first trip be a good one. You only get to go to Africa for the first time once. While I am not a trophy hunter, I don't want a second rate experience ruin my trip. That is the essence of my question.

Thanks to everyone,

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have to choose between Cape Town and hunting, and KNP and hunting, choose the former.

Frankly, you can "do" Cape Town in 2 nights/3 days. Hunting you need 5-7 days. Garden route is a 3 day/4 night trip if you want to enjoy it, other than from the confines of a moving vehicle. You will want to visit Cape Agulhas (this is the southernmost point of Africa, not Cape Point), Hermanus, Mossel Bay, Oudshoorn, Knysna, Plettenberg Bay, Storms River Mouth and maybe a few more places along the way. If you have enough time, you can add KNP 3 days 4 nights, if you fly from PE.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Culling is not hunting it is killing plain and simple... YOU will be shooting head shots and spotlights..probably even baiting to bring them in close...

I love Africa and have embraced her and my time there is special...My wife also loves it there and is pineing to get back to wild Africa the Selous in Aug of 09, me too!!!

The best with your plans,

Mike

Proof that the state of Wyoming should change it's name to Teton, Yellowstone, Gross Ventre, Great Divide, Roosevelt or Custer to keep from being confused by idiots like you. Not all African culls are unsporting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your priorities are sound,go for the 5 day management hunt;you can borrow a rifle,to eliminate the hassle.Don't forget these guys have to shoot too,I've seen some nice loaner guns in camp.

I guess the game drive comment from mrlexma was directed at my post.I have never been "spat on" by anyone ever about hunting in either Kruger or Etosha.In fact almost everyone is facinated by it.Have fielded many questions,everyone wants to see your photos,and ask for details.

But I DON"T JUMP DOWN THIER THROAT with nevers,farses,and travisty's.

Don't remember the zoo looking like this;