New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophies from S. Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I tried something new this time. I had all my capes tanned and skulls bleached and taken care of in S. Africa. They use the same tanning method we use here in the states. I sent him my US Fish and Wildife import papers with the animals taken and signed by me. He then got all the South African paperwork and then airmailed the package. The animals taken were a gemsbok, Mt. Reedbuck, Caracal and the Val Rhebok. All were lifesize except the gemsbok. The cost of tanning, shipping and paperwork came to a grand total of $254.00.

I would not have done this if I had not already checked with USDA and USFWS Special Agent. They told me since the items were tanned USDA did not have a concern and USFWS said if I reported the items when they came in. They saw no problem and to go ahead do it.

I saved on dipping and packing because I had them tanned there and the tanning cost the same as tanning and it was cheaper then having them tanned here in the states.

A true success story for a change. But, you need to know who is doing the tanning and make sure the person you are dealing with in S. Aftica is honest and forthcoming.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Brooks

In theory that sounds good and very cost effective. I am a rather surprised at the total cost !!!

1) Who carries out the work for you in SA

2) What was the actual freight component cost for the shipment

3) What would the equivalent dip & pack cost have been ( excluding freight )

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
$254.00 sounds way too cheap, are you sure you didn't miss something!! Like some charges

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Brooks,

This sounds wonderful, please explain in more detail if you could the entire process. I am having my trophies tanned and prepared in RSA prior to shipping to the USA. Did you have your trophies shipped directly to your house, did you go to Atlanta to pick them up? Pick them up at your local airport?

Great news, I hope I can do this also,
BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote