Find
Notify
Tools

Longest ride to Dallas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Of all members I met at Dallas, I think Frank Martinez's trip was the longest around 1700+ miles
My ride was around 1500 miles...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seemed like forever on my way there as I was absolutly squirming in my seat to get there.
My trip home however was nightmarish. With the weather so bad at all the major airports every flight was delayed or re-routed. I ended up visiting the airports in Chicago, Albequerque, Tuscon, Los Angeles (never got out of the plane there but spent two hours on the tarmack} and then another hour on the tarmack in Oakland, and an hour wait for my shuttle even though I could literally see my hotel from the bench. If my bags hadn't been so full of books, catalogs and brochures, I would have walked.
All in all though those thoughts haven't crossed my mind until now. I am literally swimming in visions of the great trophies, the genuine smiles on everyone's faces and the thrill of listening to story after story about hunting, shooting and why I need to buy a double rifle now! More on Tony later.
Let me tell you, it was absolutely exciting. But still, meeting the people from AR was the best. Retreever is at the top of the list. A great guy and true gentleman. I hope you have recovered your camera. A real shame to have it lost. There is no better way to meet and know a man or woman than to share a meal a drink and the same love of a lifestyle than to have shared with these folks my first step toward AFRICA.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm sure glad you two and the rest of the great people from AR made it to Dallas. Wonderful folks and an awesome time!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My trip home however was nightmarish. With the weather so bad at all the major airports every flight was delayed or re-routed.

Sounds like my trip to Reno last year. I drove 1450 miles one way, in one big marathon drive of some 26 hours. I arrived at about 7 in the morning, had some breakfast, changed in the parking lot across from the Atlantis, and started the fun!

The drive back was much much worse, with a blizzard starting just South of Idaho, and lasting all the way till I reached the Atchesons in Butte, for a lay-over. Turned out they didn't reach home a lot faster than I did, with the Butte airport being closed due to the weather. This year I'm flying. I booked early and got a price from Air Canada that wouldn't even cover the cost of diesel!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote