THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Namibia Law - Can't take 2 guns of the same caliber?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia Law - Can't take 2 guns of the same caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw in another posting that it was illegal for one hunter to take two rifles of the same caliber -- is that true? We were all planning to take the same caliber rifle + a single backup rifle in the same caliber just to simplify ammo concerns.

Furthermore, does it truly apply to the caliber or the specific cartridge in that caliber -- could you take a .338 Win and a .340 Wby since they both use .338 caliber bullets?

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreMan:
Furthermore, does it truly apply to the caliber or the specific cartridge in that caliber -- could you take a .338 Win and a .340 Wby since they both use .338 caliber bullets?

You would be hard pressed to find an officer in the Windhoek airport who knew that a .340 shoots a .338 bullet. Big Grin

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many are "we"? If four or so, and you take five .338's, then my guess is that the volume confuses the issue to the point that it is no longer an issue.

As I said in another post, I have no real gage on how serious the Namibian authorities are about the one-per-caliber rule, but it is no doubt intended (however misguided) to prevent the potential of smuggling a large quantity of arms for the purpose of criminal activity, insurrections, etc.

As to the same bore diameter, no, rifles are considered the same "caliber" only if they actually take the same ammunition.

I've found the Namibian authorities very friendly and easy to deal with. They don't seem to be looking for excuses to hassle you. Besides, if you haven't thought of it already, electing Barack Obama president has at least one up side for hunters: The Africans (as well as virtually all other foreigners) love him; and Americans, deservedly or not, will find themselves treated as VIPs when negotiating foreign customs. See, there is a silver lining!

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I believe that one gun per caliber only applies to RSA. As far as I know there is not restriction on have ing two rifle of the sam caliber in Namibia! However if you are flying through RSA, then you must check your rifle through, or if you over night in Joberg, you will have to have a permit for your riflels in RSA, a certified handeler to store your rifles till you leave RSA, for Namibia. That one rifle per caliber, rule doesn't apply to a group hunting in RSA, or passing through RSA, every member of a party my hunt with the same chambering. It is just that one person may not bring two rifles of the same chambering into RSA to hunt.

I stand for correction, but I'm 98% sure that is right. One of the RSA PHs can clarify! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37

You are correct.

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ilw:
MacD37

You are correct.
Is the "certified handler" something new? I overnighted both ways in RSA and didn't need one.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akpls:
quote:
Originally posted by ilw:
MacD37

You are correct.

Is the "certified handler" something new? I overnighted both ways in RSA and didn't need one.

You could be right, it has been a while since I've been through RSA! However, if you are leaving your firearms with the airlines while you overnight, You are lucky you still have them. It is my understanding that if you don't have a invitation to hunt in RSA, you may not take posession of fire arms in RSA. Again, I stand for correction, by someone who knows the rules there for sure! Though if you were allowed to handle your own firearms inside RSA, then things have changed considerably since I was last there! That could very well be the rule now, because the rules sometimes change with each sun rise in Africa! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote