Find
Notify
Tools

2 weeks to go !!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of loucfir
posted
Many of you have gone thru this, planning your first trip to Africa. I have gone over all the details, read I think every book and article in most publications, packed twenty five times & unpacked,had shots,passport picture,walked hundreds of miles to get in some type of hunting shape, can't sleep and when I do it's a bad dream of missing that shot....I'm in over my head!!!!! I know when it's all over I'm going to need counseling !!! Any last bits of information you seasoned veterans of the hunt may have, would be appreciated.

Posts: 309 | Location: The Great Northwest | Registered: 25 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
loucfir

Where are you going and what are you hunting?

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of loucfir
posted Hide Post
South Africa, in Kwa-Zulu Natal with Ally Robins Safaris. This is a plains game hunt for Kudu, Gemsbock,Wildebeest,Blesbock, Impala and Warthog on the menu. I suppose whatever else they have available and how much I am willing to part with.....Stop, my wife will let me bless the house with! She has "let" me have one room already, "Is it wrong to ask for more???"

Posts: 309 | Location: The Great Northwest | Registered: 25 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
loucfir......Enjoy and cherish every moment you are experiencing now. You will never forget your first trip to Africa, and most likely, the only counseling you will need is where you should hunt next in Africa. You are going to have an outstanding time and your PH will calm your nerves so that your shots will be Perfect. Best of Luck Bwana!

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you're in natal don't forget to put nyala on your list - it's one of africas most beautiful animals

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
It really aint that bad. Get a doctor to write you a script for something to knock you out on the plane. The ride is the very worst of it all. Take your time once you get there. Dont shoot the first thing you see unless your P.H. is very excited about it. Take lots of pictures and take notes about your day. Do not buy a bunch of crap to send home or try bringing it on the plane. If you dont get it this time you plan on it for your follow trips. Oh yea you will be going back.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
You do not realize what you are getting into. I have dealt with people who have succesfully recovered from addiction to meth, heroin and cocaine. I have yet to met an Afican hunter who has kicked his addiction to safari. There is still time to cancel.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
SBT: You have hit the nail on the head. Well said!

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
.....Ands when you get there, don't forget to have fun.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sincerely hope you practiced shooting off sticks and freehand.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You lucky bugger! There is nothing like that first trip to Africa! Be prepared to spend your kids inheritance on successive trips. Once it is in your blood, crack cocaine is nothing! With reference to missing a shot, my first kudu was shot at half past dark and we could not find it. I spent a sleepless night thinking that I had messed up. Luckily, next morning we found it a few yards from where it was hit tucked under a rather substantial bush. What a relief!

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Don't Go!!!! When you come back home all you will think about is how to get back. It will become an obsession. Your finances will suffer. Seriously though, savior every moment. Don't hold nothing back and take advantage of every opportunity. Take extra money and try to ask yourself throughout the trip "what am I NOT doing that I will regret after I am home?" Don't scrimp on pictures. I promise you, it will be a blast.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
You cannot take enough pictures. If you are using a digital, bring twice as many storage chips as you think you will need.

Bring a small notebook and record the activities of the day. I still read my notes from my first Safari.

Also bring a walkman. There will be a time when some music of your liking will be enjoyed.

Depression on boarding the great bird for home is normal, you will learn to live with it, but it never goes away. Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a couple of more trips to the range. Shoot at pie plates at 100 yards from sticks. Remember the basics of marksmanship ... practice getting that calm and focused frame of mind. Squeeze the trigger. Call the shot. Build your confidence.

You'll have a GREAT time! Take lots of pictures. Keep a journal. You'll come back with an addiction ... at least it is a socially acceptable one. You'll just have to learn to keep cars a few years longer, make your investments count, and get used to it taking longer to go back than you'd like.

Let us know how it goes!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your decision to take the plunge!

Since you're going to Natal, its almost an unwritten rule that you'd have to take a Nyala. Natal has the best and biggest specimens available -- have at em. Bushpig as well.

Also, see your doctor, get your shots, and ensure to get Malaria medicaion -- have used Malarone numerous time, and haven't noticed any side effects.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Loucfir,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to a club of African addicts...They sure have some nice nyala in Natal...
As for advice, do what you have practice for and done many times before 'make the shot'...
Have a super hunt and enjoy Africa... thumb
I started in Natal and now going to the Selous this summer...

Mike
29 days till the Selous

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of loucfir
posted Hide Post
Well, thank you all for the information. I bought more San Disks for the camera,went shooting and almost put my eye out,called about Nyala $1600.00 and bushpigs @$50.00,"Second mortage,it"s okay!" got Valium for now...suppose to be for the flight, note pad & well I'm going to put my hunting Tim Wegner in the nut house. Yesterday he was talking about next year and after a few drinks, well it sounded good to me. Thanks again, Tom B

One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted Hide Post
We are leaving for Natal in 5 1/2 hours. Another sleepless night thinking about my first trip to Africa. Enjoy the trip. Have a couple glasses of red wine, a big dose of ambien, and sweet dreams.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair

http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Yes, I definitely think it would be a crime to go to Natal and not at least try for a big Nyala. Frowner We are headed to Namibia next summer for our first trip, but might end up going to Natal, RSA for our next trip. See, don't feel bad. I'm already planning my 2nd trip and I haven't even been on my first yet. Oh well, it's hopeless to try and fight it. clap

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
loucfir....I find your posts very funny and entertaining and truly look forward to your complete hunt report upon your return.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
STOP, STOP. Do not go. Your every day afterwards will be filled with thoughts of how to get back.
Same sentiments as those posting earlier.
Have a great time.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steven30127
posted Hide Post
Loucifir!

I'm going to be down there with Ally on Oct. 8th...This will be my first Safari too. Please....give us (me!) a full report!

Posts: 257 | Location: Aliso Viejo, California | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
loucir,
first of all, HAVE A GREAT EXPERIEINCE!!!!!

ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!!!!!!

One thing I would say is dont go having any formal expectations because once you arrive, The africa "bug" will get you and you will start planning your hunt for next year.

Truly enjoy the african experince and relish it every moment.

My first hunt, i told my wife i was only going to shoot 4 animals, kudu, springbok, gemsbok,and warthog. After 10 days i came home with 13 animals.

The BUG reach up and nailed me!!!!!!!

This year will be my 6th trip to africa in 5 years.

I hope you get the same bug I did... Enjoy!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote