Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of axle
posted
Hi guys, I am looking for opinions on a plains game hunt in Namibia for 2007. I want to hunt eland, kudu, oryx,and possibly impala and zebra.
Also I want to track, spot and stalk the game I'm not interested in sitting on my ass at a waterhole waiting for an ambush. If anyone has experience, or could reccomend an outfit I'd be very grateful. As well I was wondering about best times regarding wheather ( what months?) and if any CITES permits are required for the above species. OH and best travel routes for leaving Canada with firearms.

thankyou

ax

meat is murder..... tasty,tasty murder

Posts: 79 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Hi Axle

I have a 10 day package available in Namibia that includes a kudu, a gemsbok, a red hartebeest, a warthog and 2 springbok, for US$ 4500, inclusive of transport to and from airport, dayfees, trophy fees for mentioned animals, and 15% VAT. You can add eland, zebra and impala on to this, or I can make you up a package with all the animals you desired. Contact me via PM or below email adress if you are interested. People posting on this board named Nitrox and Nina have hunted with me before. I like to walk and stalk, and consider it a "cheat" if I let a hunter just shoot his animals form the back of a vehicle, and unsportsmanlike to shoot game at ambush poits at water. So, I can assure you, you will have a exciting walk & stalk hunt.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1334 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Axle,

I hunted Namibia in late May this year with Mike Kibble of Progress Safaris.

I took a 58" kudu, a 40+ Gembsbok bull, a 44" Gemsbok cow, 24" red hartebeast and 2 springbok, one 15" and one freak of 17.5"

That sums up, what was the best hunt in the 5, I have made to Africa.

You shoot off sticks with Mike. It's very fair dinkum. His concession in the Kalahari is the best in Namibia I believe.

Blair.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Axle,
You should get a lot of replies to this post.
I will add mine. Hunted with Janneman Brand PH at Kalahari Safari this past July (www.kalahari-safari.com). Took Oryx,Wildebeest,Eland,Springbuck,Zebra and a nice old Warthog. Hunt report listed here on AR.
All through walk and stalk (hope you are in good shape as you will walk/crawl miles). Outstanding accommodations, gourmet food and beautiful concession. Saw plenty of game every day.
bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are dozens of places you could go for this hunt. Almost all of them are good and there's hardly anything to distinguish one from the other.

Ok, well there are some fine distinctions:

1. Area: Namibia varies from dune desert to almost tropical bush. So ask about the prevailing topo and vege.
2. Hunting style. The local style is predominantly drive around until you spot what you are looking for, then walk/stalk. It sounds like you don't want any part of vehicles. That's fine, but make that clear upfront and that will eliminate half of the choices at least. (A lot of the PHs don't really enjoy death marches and will try to get you back into the vehicle).
3. Ambience. Generally, Namibian operators offer simple clean accommo, usually in guest quarters near the main farm house, sometimes in the house itself. There are some with RSA-style "luxury lodges", and some who will do a tent camp. Figure out which you want and be prepared to pay accordingly.

Other than that, you can have a good hunt at any number of places. I would encourage you to take hartebeest and not impala in Namibia. And get your Hartmann's zebra, you can always get a Burchell's (which is much more widespread) on a follow up hunt anyplace in Africa.

And take a good camelbak with you, if you really mean what you say about walking.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of axle
posted Hide Post
Thankyou all for your replies, All the info is very helpful and pointed out alot I did not know. Russ to clear up a point I'm not opposed to spending some time in a vehicle in order to do some spotting, I just don't want to sit in a blind when there is so much country to see.

Thankyou again.

ax

meat is murder..... tasty,tasty murder

Posts: 79 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Axle,

Russ's comments are spot on. thumb

Take a hartebeast instead of an impala and shoot the Hartmanns (Mountain) zebra instead of a Burchells. You will really see some wild country when you hunt them!

Cheers, mate,

Blair.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going in mid May to Neuhof safaris. This is anew place to Americans as he has mostly Spanards. It is a small operation with a maximum of six people in camp but about 50,000 acres. It looks to be a beautiful camp and I am looking forward to being one of the first Americans in this locations. Hopefully, I will discover the next Okanduka Siebe which as most people know is now booked thru most of 2008. The web for Neuhauf is www.neuhofsafaris.com.na

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll throw in my 2 cents and suggest that getting in touch with Claude Thorburn (claude@iway.na) wouldn't be a waste of time. I had a hugely enjoyable hunt with him this year. Everything I got was by spot and stalk with only the warthog spotted from a vehicle (it ran across the track in front of us as we headed for lunch one day).

Cheers,
Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth I also have hunted with Janneman Brand, of Getaway Kahalari Safaris,this year and intend to return next April. I throughly enjoyed my hunt

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you´re interested in a very interesting hunt on the fringe Kalahari you could try Uhlenhorst Safaris. Waldo can arrange all the animals on your list and prices are very reasonable. I hunted there in -05 and had a nice time.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
cewe, Waldo has left Uhlenhorst safaris in Sept/ October this year, he now works for a German outfit in the same region. If you want, I can get you his new contact details.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

Posts: 1334 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
eland, kudu, oryx,and possibly impala and zebra

No CITIES needed for eland, kudu, oryx, impala nor Burchells zebra. But you might need a CITIES permit for the Hartmann Mountain zebra. Better check with you customs broker.

Posts: 76 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl S: I didn´t know that! I tried mailing Corinne a while back and Hoekus answered the mail but no info on any moves.

I guess it was already in the air last year...

Was it a friendly split?

As I´ve only hunted with Waldo I withdraw my recommendation.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
cewe, you have a PM.

Big Kahuna, yes you do need a CITES 11 for Hartman's zebra, but your outfitter and shipper will orginise that. Also, the US does allow importation of these trophies from Namibia, so no problem.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Ax:
Check out VanHeerdenSafaris.com. We hunted with Hentie 2 years ago and had a great time. We weren't trophy hunting but took 4 animals that made the Rowland Ward book.
His prices are very reasonable. You can book directly with him. I'm trying to go back next year if possible.
Good luck.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote