New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measuring a Steenbuck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody know the approximate average measurement for the bases of a steenbuck's horns? Just an approximate will answer my question.

I shot a buck in SA last month that a buddy of mine says is a "monster". In the field we measured his legnth to be a bit over 6.75" inches. But did not measure the bases. The PH is going to measure it when he gets a chance, but I am wondering what he might score. I know it's a guess but the curiosity is killing me.

I will post a picture if someone will tell me how to do it without much hassle.

TR

The NRA is the reason the Republicans control congress. - Bill Clinton, Cleveland Plain Dealer 1994

Posts: 66 | Location: Tucson | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I'm not very well-versed in steenbok measurements, but I'd say you have a monster on your hands for sure! My PH was very pleased with mine this year and, as I recall, his unbroken horn measured somewhere around 5.5". You've got a dandy.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good one I would guess the bases should go 2 1/4 to 2 3/8. My steinbok is 5 1/8 on each horn with 2 1/4 each base. It ranks 24 SCI so yours could push the top ten maybe even make it.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted Hide Post
I'd also say 'round about 2 to 2 1/2 inches. Congrats on a great steenbok!!! beer

Posts: 85 | Location: Limpopo, RSA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he is 2.25" per side and we were even close to getting the measurement correct in the field...Well I don't even want to say it. I gotta get that little bugger shipped back quick.

The current number one is 17.625" Off the SCI site.

The crazy thing is that I shot him right before dark, and had to track him the next morning with a dog. Dog found him in 15 minutes in a gully wash out (a hole. He had been dragged in there by a small cat of some sort. Gonna need a new cape. I was so glad to have recovered him that I didn't give a second thought to the horn length.

TR

The NRA is the reason the Republicans control congress. - Bill Clinton, Cleveland Plain Dealer 1994

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, heres an attempt at posting a pic of the steenbuck:

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
OH Yeah!

That is BIG!

Congrats!!!!!!!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
That is a monster. My Namibian Gold Medal steenbuck measured 4.33" in length and 1.58" in diameter.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a SLAMMER!!!! Congrats

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
WOW!
I would walk from Norway to RSA just to get a chance on hunting such a big one.. Smiler
Not an expert, but if that one doesn`t make it all the way to the top, it will be VERY close..
CONGRATULATIONS!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is way bigger than anything I've seen anywhere.

Good show!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Damn! It looks like a Oribi, What a Steenbok! Wow! What a monster!!!

Sounds like to me you may have the #1 Steenbok or very close to it, from looking at the # 1 & 2 yours may be a bit heavier, if that's the case your in!!! The #1 in SCI is 17 3/16th
Your length: 6 12/16th + 6 12/16th = 13 8/16th

Bases, maybe: 2 2/16th + 2 2/16th = 4 4/16th

Totaling: = 17 12/16th

Looks good to me!!!

Congrats to you and the little bugger!!! beer

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
That is awesome ,But not #1,Gary Reeder took a 8"+ last year in RSA handgun hunting.

Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As soon as I get the measurement from the PH I will let you guys know what he says. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he is as big as what I think.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one hell of a Steenbok!!!! The one I took back in 2002 was just an average one; measured about 3.75" in length. (We thought he'd go 4" when we spotted him but he didn't.) So, 6.75" is a BIG Steenbok!!

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reeder's number 1 Handgun is listed as 15.0625. It must be a different one, maybe not confirmed by the record book committee yet.

one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
If that was taken this year (2005)that is the one.I am going to SA in March -06 with Madubula Safaris,I only hope to see one 5" or so.

Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Trathner,

Congratulations!

It's not a trophy............., it's provocation or pure malevolence towards us all , all previously pleased with what is now a minor trophy on our wall. Wink

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
http://www.reedercustomguns.com/information/africa_images/2005/DCAM0009_0009.JPG

How's this for a steenbok. Taken by Gary Reeder with a handgun.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another great steenbuck!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might I point out that Mr Reeder is from Arizona as well!! A master craftsman and obviously a skilled hunter!

We have met on numerous occassions at various Mule Deer Foundation and RMEF banquets in Flagstaff. He used to handle the FFL stuff for MDF when I worked for them. He was also generous enough to donate some of his incredible guns to our events. A class act for sure!

TR

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a monster for sure! It will easily place in the top ten and will push for the top 3 depending on what is pending this year. It is a great trophy, definitely once in a lifetime. Good show! LEt us know what the final score is.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote