Find
Notify
Tools

Iron or glass sights for Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
I shoot both, reciever sights and scopes with equal results out to 150 to 200 yards. Any advice as to which is preferable?
Along this same line of thought is there some advice as to carrying a back up set of sighting equipment?
While I've got your attention what would be the average distance that plains game is shot at? With this what would be the approximent 'K' zone to use as a target? Would a 10 by 10 steel plate be appropriate?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I really recommend a scope for African hunting.

In a lot of areas, you will not have a clear view of the whole animal, but you will be looking at it through the brush.

A scope becomes a necessity then.

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Specialized DG rifles aside, I agree that a scoped rifle is best for a general bag hunt. I favor low fixed power (2.5-3X) or low-power variables (1.5-5X) in QD mounts, with a second pre-zeroed scope in QD mounts for backup. I also favor rifles with iron sights as a secondary backup system.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most folks benifit greatly from a low power scope in Africa, I like iron sights simply because it adds to the difficulty of my hunt I suppose, but then I grew up shooting iron sights and I just like them and the ease of packing a rifle comes into play.

I still usually have the option of a scope rifle handy...I carry a double and let my PH (Pierre van Tonder) carry my 416 Rem with a scope and we switch off about 40 times a day as each circumstance prevails...gets interresting sometimes! Like, "Pete,he's coming this way, may I have my double back," then "No, I will keep the double, shoot him" then "Ok, if I don't get my double back now, then I'm going back to the truck," then "OK take the %#$@&$% double," then "thanks Pete, your a peach"! and thats just one of the bloody conversations we've had...

His versions always differ from mine after these events as some here can attest to from his poorly remembered rendition of other events that he expelled on at our get together in Dallas with some of you..

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
arkypete,

Go with the scope! Why handicap yourself in low light or poor visibility with irons? I considered a receiver sight for elephant this year since the shot would probably be very close but even the open sight shooters told me to use what I was most familiar with. In most cases these days we all shoot better with a scope for almost everythng.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a scope with quick release rings in case you want to use the irons?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
My next trip will see two guns.....a .404 Jeffery and a .375 H&H. The jeffery will sport iron sights and the .375 will have a 3-9 scope.....(the 3-9 may be a tad much)

I plan on carrying one and the PH the other.....best of both worlds I hope.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I vote in favor of a scope. LOW power variables are best IMHO. Keep it set at about 3X in general plains game hunting to help you pick out those pesky thorn tree branches that are always between you and the game. Turn it up to 5X if you have time on a long range shot, turn it down to 1.5X if you are in the jess.
Just my 2 cents.
Russ

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I've used a 1.5x5/.375 H&H on my first safari (it worked just fine), a receiver-sighted .450 Rigby and a 6X fixed/.300 H&H on my second (they did what they needed to do, thanks) and in August, for my Nostalgia Special Safari, I'm taking a Perfect African Pair of receiver sighted Mausers in .318 WR and .404 Jeff. Can't see that there will be any difficulties unless we are trying to get in the last few minutes of evening hunting. Then the lack of scope will definitely tell. My choice, my problem! Anyone else, that is to say the less-deranged Majority, would be far better off with the low-power variable. The Namibian desert and the Ethiopian Highlands aside, the shooting won't be at long distance except for very unusual circumstances so there is no need for anything greater than 5X, IMO. The recommended back-up sights certainly won't hurt, though I've never personally heard of anyone needing to change sights. This isn't to say it couldn't happen and we'd be fools to not think about it. Otherwise, you pays yer money and takes yer choice. So long as you go with the idea that you're in Africa to have fun, no matter what, you won't be sorry with either.

As to your other questions, 125 yards was my longest shot and since the smallest thing I've killed was a warthog, figure that whatever you use to get in shape for deer season ought to do the trick. Impala are about deer sized, kudu are like elk, eland like moose, etc.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Saeed and Ray,

Ray may be the only one on this forumn who is old enough to recall the 3 X Luepold. I have a brand new (old) one on my 450 Dakota. It is on QD rings, but is this OK to use on both buffalo and elephant? Or would you always remove it if hunting tuskless cows (only elephant I can afford to hunt).

thanks, Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy - You're not the only one old enough to remember the Leupold 3X. I still have one on my .22. Great scope, don't know why they quit making them. Probably just didn't sell with everyone going to variables.

Posts: 74 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted africa and am no expert, but I will give you an experience last year deer hunting. I have always hunted with a scope on my rifles. Last year was my first year for muzzleloader hunting, in utah you can't use a scope with power, so I mounted a sightron 1x20 scope to help with sight picture as my eyes have trouble with irons. on 2 occasions as the sun was going down, you know when you really start seeing the game. I noticed a group of deer in the trees, on both occasions I picked out the buck with my binos that was running with the does. I went for my muzzleloader to get a shot but then the deer would move, and I would have to pick out the right animal with my binos again, by this time it was too late. with a powered scope this problem would be elimiated. You might say well my ph can pick out the right animal, what happens if you get confused about which one he says, like shoot the back one and it turns out you didn't see all the animals he was seeing, you need to confirm your target and a scope helps big time with this. you spend big bucks to go to africa and you don't want to miss out on the trophy

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arkypete:

When you say "iron sights" would you also include a peep sight? In poor light and at close range and for quickness of "getting on target" it's pretty good. Of course, the scope saves us older types when it comes to picking out the target (I think Saeed has forgotten how good his eyes were when he was young!) but a scope does have a bad feature at close range. You can't see around the scope. Your whole vision is concentrated in looking through a tube. Don't believe me? Try it. I didn't see a scope on my PH's 470. And that was the "stopping gun" for any critter that meant to stomp me into the ground or to chew me up and have dinner. Of course, the scope is great but I certainly can see a value to "iron sights" if mzou or nyati is 75 feet away and planning to make me part of the African turf or if shumba wants to add me to his dinner menu.

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Arkypete:

When you say "iron sights" would you also include a peep sight? ....but a scope does have a bad feature at close range. You can't see around the scope. Your whole vision is concentrated in looking through a tube. Don't believe me? Try it.

I would certainly include a peep sight, or more specifically, a "ghost (ring) & post" sight system. And your comment about "getting lost in the scope" is one of the reasons the forward-mounted Scout Scope was conceived.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
It is an excellent scope. I have about 6 of them around here someplace...May be the perfect dangerous game scope and pretty darn good scope for all big game hunting...and its long enough to fit on any big action. Also when the old buff is in your face it won't be on 10X...

The effectiveness of high power scopes on big animals is highly overrated in the USA because of the advertising hype that's so abundant, its a brain wash that works and has been very successful...but I can hold that 3X cross hair on a buck deer or Bull elk as far away as I can see him, and I don't know what else is required...I like fixed power scopes, they are tougher, no matter what the opposition says. the less tube sticking out the front ring the better as it will not easily be knocked out of zero..fits nicely in a saddle scabbard and just looks better.

It is not unusual today to see a nice trim little rifle with a 4x20X bulky long scope on it, and why I don't know, it defeats the purpose, and really looks dumb...

But I also like the 1x4 Leupold and the 1.5x5 Leupolds, but no better than the 3X, thats for sure...Mostly I like the 20MM objectives...Just my opine.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote