posted
Hi
What is your opinion about weatherby actions relaiabiliity as DGR,
Best regards
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Let me dare to be different. I think theyw ill serve you as well, if not better then most of the stuff out there.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danny,

Since you said DGR, I am assuming you are talking about either the 378, 416 or 460.

If so, all three use a vertical stack magazine that holds 2 rounds.

In my experience, this system is the most reliable for chambering cartridges, especially with big caliber and round nose bullets. Staggered magazine feed is much more critical when feeding blunt bullets in a case that is not much larger than bullet diameter. It is very easy for the bullet to catch on the end of the chamber.

Some big Wbys have a magazine spring that lacks a bit of pressure at the rear. In this case, if the bolt is pulled back slowly, the case head won't always be picked up by the reduced diameter bolt head. However simply bending the spring fixes the problem. Also when the bolt is rapidly drawn back the problem does not show up.

So, if 2 shots in the magazine is OK, then I think they are more reliable than most staggered feed magazine rifles, whether the be CRF or push feed AT GETTING THE CARTRIDGE INTO THE CHAMBER.

However the extraction side is not as good as Mauser or Model 70. The reason for this is the 54 degree bolt lift. Mark Vs as a result have quite poor primary extraction. A case that is a bit sticky will not be completely pulled free when the bolt handle is raised. With a Model 70 or Mauser, the bolt moves back much further as the bolt handle is raised.

So, I would prefer a 2 lug action like M70 or M98 or their copies but would make sure it was right. You can make sure these actions are OK on the chambering cycle, but there is nothing that you can do about the Mark Vs poor primary extraction.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike375 (edited 01-18-2002).]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
NOWWWWWWWWW, The above is the MIKE375 we love!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Danny, I don't think I even need to post this, because it will be absolutely no surprize to anyone here!

I do not think, given the choice, I would hunt dangerous game with any push feed rifle, regardless of who's name is stamped on it!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
MacD37 - Allow me to be so bold as to finish your last statement:

...regardless of who's name is stamped on it - especially Weatherby.

There is nothing wrong with a Weatherby rifle in Africa. But considering all the exceptional alternatives, it sure would not be my choice especially when my bacon is on the line with dangerous game.

Haven't we already beaten this subject into the ground before?

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Hey Zero drift, Do your thing! No worries mate!

You are absolutely right about the beating a dead horse, but the youngsters who read the adds, and believe the hype, in Guns&Ammo will always ask the question! ??????? Why, I do not know!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS

posted Hide Post
Excellent posts IMO. I realize I may come off as less astute by saying so, but I worry less about this sort of stuff than most. I tend to agree with Bill in feeling that a push-feed can offer highly reliable service and with Mike in regard to their possibly being more reliable as to feeding.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Danny,
A push-feed that never jams is better than a CRF that does jam. However, the CRF is less likely to jam by design.

For clients, I suppose it would do nicely. As a fight-stopper, I'd rather have a CRF.

Until Winchester produced a LH Model 70, all my hunting was done with a push-feed. As I'd never had a jam, I would have felt that a push-feed was good enough for dangerous game, because it had to be (I had no other choice).

Don't let the lack of a CRF rifle prevent you from hunting dangerous game. Take your push-feed if that's all you have, but hurry!

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a gunsmith who used to work at Weatherby. He said that their 378's and 460's jammed all the time and they were always fixing them and sending them out again. He thought that the sheet metal single stack system Weatherby used was the problem, although other single stack systems work very well. After working at Weatherby for 15 years, he hates the Mark V. His personal hunting guns are a Husqvarna FN and a pre-64 model 70.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a "Husky" in .30-06 for years. I got talked out of it when I was broke. It was a very nice rifle and was quite accurate with no work done on it at all.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote