New
Find
Notify
Tools

TZ - Camp Staff Mauled by Lions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
By sheer coincidence to a post by Kathi, a strikingly similar incident took place in the Selous Game Reserve several days ago, in a concession on the banks of the Kilombero (outfitter and concession details withheld) when member of the camp staff was taken by 3 lions while taking a shower just after dusk.

The other camp staff hearing the screams rushed to assist, finding a badly mauled tracker some 15/20yds in the brush.

He is alive (just) but in very bad shape and his chance of survival is hanging by a thread. He has a severely mauled and multiple fractured leg, puncture and claw marks (gashes) over his entire body and worst of all, half his face has been ripped off.

I have yet to see the photos but my son has told me they are not a pretty sight.

He has apparently been hospitalized in one of the more decent hospitals in Dar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn. Bad news. It must have been absolutely terrifying. I hope he recovers.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We were hunting by the Kilombero river once, and at the dinner table, we heard some noise.

Sure enough, a pride of lions was sitting less than 100 yards from us!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
last trip to zambia the neighboring village had a your girl taken by lions, strangely enough the day before we saw 2 lioness stalking people working in the fields

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lion stalking people ought to be shot.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish someone puts all these man eating lion happenings down in a book someday.It would be even better if they occurred while I was on a safari and nearby(with my Searcy 500NE). beer

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway
Can i assume that for your pleasure and joy you would not mind a lion to eat two or three black people ( i also presume ) while you were on safari ? thumbdown

Posts: 208 | Location: PortugaL | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know what camp this was in and who the PH was?

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
While in the Selous in November, 2010, we had a hunter in camp who was Lion hunting.

We could not get a lion on bait for him, However one night a lion came into camp and slept under his raised tent for about 4 hours.

Our night security was watching the process taking place.

The Lion casually walked by the eating area and walked down the path way and took a nap under the tent.

We also had 1 to 2 leopards in camp nightly. The trackers would not wake me to get any pictures. Darn

We also had spotted hyenas near camp nightly, as you could hear them every evening.

We also had our own spotted dog pack near camp, they kept pestering the plains game that came to drink at the pond almost daily.

When the monkeys and baboons were quiet, you knew that the leopards were close by.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I hope this was not one of my friends Pierre Vontonder's camps! He hunts the Selous!
....................................................................... Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
10 years ago our camp in MK1 had lions carrying on all night.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Awful.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indi:
Shootaway
Can i assume that for your pleasure and joy you would not mind a lion to eat two or three black people ( i also presume ) while you were on safari ? thumbdown

I was just saying what a thrill it would be to go after a man eating lion.If there was some way I could bring the victims back to life I would.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I hope this was not one of my friends Pierre Vontonder's camps! He hunts the Selous!

Funny enough, we were at Pierre's camp when I found lion tracks in front of my tent in the morning.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB:
Anyone know what camp this was in and who the PH was?

The camp was "dry" at the time - no clients, no PH; just the staff.

Might add before the question gets popped, there is usually no Game Scout in camp in the absence of clients.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year in Rungwa we had lions in camp virtually every night. One night two half grown cubs got in to the back of the large supply truck where there was a couple of bait animals (the thought being lions couldn't jump into the truck, but the little guys climbed up on to the hood, on the top and in the back) and couldn't get out. Their moms were none to happy and a huge very angry and noise ruckus ensued, with the pride male just across a dry korongo roaring as well the whole time. Well the whole camp was up and the game scout finally had to fire several shots at the feet of the lionesses so the guys could open the back of the truck to let the little guys and gals out. The pride was around virtually every night and it was not unusual to have tracks outside the tent in the morning. Loads of fun!

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EB:

What a great story. You are lucky to have lived it. Funny too.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I hope the tracker is applicable to some DSC funding.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EB:
How many had a good nights sleep?

fairgame: Great idea.
Wish the guy well in healing up without infection and permanent problems.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I slept pretty well. Of course I had the .470 Nitro cracked open with two shells sitting ready to go next to the bed LOL. Actually it was nice to wait to hear the male roar as you then knew all was right in the bush...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just say Under Wild Skies. It was in Kilombero.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is pretty hairy as my wife and I were in the Selous in August of this year. The camp was right on the Kilombero. We did hear lions most nights and saw tracks near camp. She was surprised when I pointed out a lion track on top of her boot track.

Posts: 86 | Location: Bellville, Texas | Registered: 21 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shootaway

You're being an arrogant jerk. That's not what he was implying at all.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shootaway

The population of Africa has increased 300% in the past 40 years thanks to Western handouts. Wouldn't we all have been better off to let nature take her natural course rather than to subsidize stupidity and superstition?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09...bout-ebola.html?_r=0

If the lions eat a few of them aren't they just doing Mother Nature's work?

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

Funny enough, we were at Pierre's camp when I found lion tracks in front of my tent in the morning.

I suspect that this is not terribly unusual, since it happened to me as well. The camp staff swept the cleared dirt around tents each night to show tracks and we did find respectable sized tracks on a couple of mornings. That was in Zambia, west of Kafue.

The PHs did not seem surprised of disturbed at all by this.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelNut:
quote:
Shootaway

The population of Africa has increased 300% in the past 40 years thanks to Western handouts. Wouldn't we all have been better off to let nature take her natural course rather than to subsidize stupidity and superstition?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09...bout-ebola.html?_r=0

oh Lord, here we go again.. coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Squirrel Nuts:

Mother Nature doesn't distinguish between color either so next time you happen to be on safari and taking a shower, just keep that in mind. Wink

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
that shouldn't be a problem as he prefers whack 'em and stack game ranch hunts. the only lions around are those that cross the Limpopo and start killing ranch stock......

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
SN has been to the land of the wild lion...I can assure you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37879 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year in Botswana on A Ele hunt we had lions in camp every night one morning 3 of them got trap in the salt room we had to open the gate for them to get out. The were back that same night!

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would seem as though these cats (we assume there are 3 involved) are making it a habit as it or they, have struck again.

A Game Scout was taken from his tent while asleep and apparently devoured several days ago
in the adjacent K5 block.

I do not have the gory details but the incident has been confirmed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I am surprised more of this doesn't happen.

Most wild camps I have been in have had various predator tracks in them while I have been there. Admittedly more leopard and Hyena than lion, but I have seen them too. Also have seen elephant and hippo tracks in camp, but not buffalo, at least so far.

So what is Tanzania's rule on shooting one of these lion? Still lose quota if they are not adequate trophy age? I would like to think some common sense would still apply.

Posts: 11025 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
To be honest, I am surprised more of this doesn't happen.

Most wild camps I have been in have had various predator tracks in them while I have been there. Admittedly more leopard and Hyena than lion, but I have seen them too. Also have seen elephant and hippo tracks in camp, but not buffalo, at least so far.

So what is Tanzania's rule on shooting one of these lion? Still lose quota if they are not adequate trophy age? I would like to think some common sense would still apply.

Such animals can be shot in defence of human life but it's advisable to be 110% sure of your ground if at all possible. The only time it happened to me was in about 2006 and the GS gave me a letter to the effect that he believed lions that a number of lions that were in the habit of coming into camp needed to be shot before they ate any of the camp staff.

IIRC, it only comes off the quota if the client has the relevant licence and wants to pay for and keep the trophy.

Bloody sorry to hear about the GS in K5. Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just found out that the same camp got raided again by lions two nights ago. The lions dragged one of the workers from his tent and unfortunatly he never survived. The game scout shot at the lion and wounded it as he was trying to save the other guy.I spoke to The PH that flew in the next day, he managed to shoot the lion that was wounded but according to them the pride had a total of three lions so the other two are still around.

Posts: 52 | Location: TANZANIA | Registered: 16 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Good on the PH as that is the most dangerous of hunts.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the pride had a total of three lions so the other two are still around.

Letting the remaining two off the hook won't be doing anyone any favours either.
I believe there is a hunting party in K4 at the moment so if they wander back in that direction the problem may just get resolved.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
well, sounds like Mr Nut( see post above) is getting his wish and nature is taking its course( thinning the African herd as he apparently thinks is appropriate). damn shame.....i wonder if it was him and his family getting "thinned" if he would feel the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Squirrel Nuts:

Mother Nature doesn't distinguish between color either so next time you happen to be on safari and taking a shower, just keep that in mind.

How can I add to Fujo? But I like hearing them at night. It helps me sleep.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

Squirrel Nuts:

Mother Nature doesn't distinguish between color either so next time you happen to be on safari and taking a shower, just keep that in mind. Wink

Western handounts have been subsidizing African reproductive irresponsibilty for decades. Is it any wonder lions are now eating more natives? When's the last time a tourist hunter was attacked and eaten while taking a shower? I'll answer that for you. Never, and it will never happen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sqirrel,
And you are a complete squirrel, congratulations on ascending to that level. That is the stupidist (if that's even a word) thing I've ever heard.

Precious few lions left. Don't think they are a viable method of population control, nor do I think Africans and African governments want your view on birth control.

That said, these issues need to be addressed, but not based on mortality statistics. Those need to be improved.