Hunting a lioness...........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted
Is it legal?
Is it appropriate/ethical?
If so, under what conditions?

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The only animal I wanted to take in Africa was a Lioness. The moratorium came along in Matabeleland and I will now probably never have that opportunity. To ME the Lioness epiotomizes all the successful predator can be. I find the female Lion to be much prettier and more impressive than the male. I have seen some absolutely remarkable MGM lions in the Matetsi but none to compare with any of the females I have seen there. As to the legality I believe most countries that hunt them have a quota for Lioness as far as the ethics that is up to the individual I would think. I personally find nothing wrong with it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only problem I see in hunting a lioness is whether or not she has nursling cubs back somewhere. How can you tell a nursing from non-nursing female lion?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The nurseing lioness is easy to spot, by simply looking at here belly! If she is nurseing, the milk sacs will be visable for quite a distance!

There in nothing unethical about hunting the lioness, in fact, it is a good conservation move! One female taken out of a pride causes no real impact on the pride, as does the takeing of the Alpha male! The alpha male taken, will open the pride to a batchlor male to take over the pride, and as soon as he does will kill all the cubs, causeing most of the females to go into estrus, so he can put his own genes on the ground!

Addtionally, hunting the female by tracking the pride is more dangerous than the male. When pushed the males will split form the pride, but the females will stay together, so that when you pop a female, you may get a multiple charge from her sisters, who will usually try to protect her when she goes down! Here is where you get to practice what you preach about stopping a fast moveing lion, multiplied by four or five! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
There in nothing unethical about hunting the lioness, in fact, it is a good conservation move! One female taken out of a pride causes no real impact on the pride, as does the takeing of the Alpha male! The alpha male taken, will open the pride to a batchlor male to take over the pride, and as soon as he does will kill all the cubs, causeing most of the females to go into estrus, so he can put his own genes on the ground!

That is why one should never shoot a male from a pride with dependant young. Young males of up to a yr old will be either killed or chased form the pride where only a fraction will survive the wilds on their own.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
That is why one should never shoot a male from a pride with dependant young. Young males of up to a yr old will be either killed or chased form the pride where only a fraction will survive the wilds on their own.

I'm really glad to see this comment. I wonder how often PH's (BwanaMitch aside) adhere to it.

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was pleasantly surprised that both my Game Scout and PH were supporting this position on shooting females.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
My lioness was an old lady, evicted from her pride because she couldn't hunt keep up her end of the work load. This is a problem for surrounding species (cattle and man). Lionesses will resort to hunting things they can catch by themselfes that are slower than plains game. Cattle and sometimes man is a good target for them. That is when they become a problem animal and need to be hunted. I can tell you a story I was told about a lady in a "lion proof" enclosed compound who was attacked and dragged to the fence, eaten and left for her companions to find. The lioness escaped back through the fence gate.

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others, I would not hesitate to hunt an old lioness if offered the chance in "wild" Africa... Zim, Tanz, Bots, Zambia, etc.! The only thing missing in the hunt would be the mane! Otherwise I am sure it would prove every bit as exciting and challenging as hunting any lion. Good luck and I hope Buzz rustles up a permit for you, David!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Russell,
You are ready my mind! I am just afraid of getting too ambitious with my wish list. Already have buffalo, sable, eland and zebra on the menu. So little time (12 days), so many animals!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote