Find
Notify
Tools

Tie on Rifle Slings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Has anyone used a tie on Thong strap rifle sling as used with old rifles with large eyelets and is the Thong trustworthy to be strong enough?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of guys in Africa use tie on slings and they seem to do the job. I´ve tried them but must be doing something wrong as I always get slippage Confused

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
The best mule deer I have ever seen I didn't get a shot at because of a rifle sling!!!

I learned the hard way when hunting the sling is OFF THE RIFLE and in my pocket and the gun is IN MY HANDS and ready to use.

When hiking up and down hills looking for deer in CA you get tired (or at least I do) and the temptation to sling the rifle to give your arms a break comes over you. I had my rifle on my back as I topped out over a mountain and I jumped a HUGE muley. by the time I got the rifle off my back and up to my shoulder he was gone onto some thick oaks and junipers below.

I sat down and broke out the glasses.
I waited to see if he would come out of the cut. I waited over 1 hour, then went down, the ground was too hard to track. I hunted the same area for 5 years and have shot my share off deer there but I never saw him again.

I keep the sling in my pocket and the only time it goes on the rifle is when I have to carry or drag something out.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oz,
i got one from jeffsoutfitters.com. i like it a lot and the leather ties are thick and stout, in fact too thick to fit through the sling eyes of my Searcy. i improvised by running a loop of thinner rawhide through the eyes and then tying the sling to those. hope this helps.

DRSS

Posts: 1167 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote