Find
Notify
Tools

Urgent taxidermy problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At least it is urgent for me:

Our completed trophies from Namibia have arrived in Dallas and are being cleared though the various agencies. USFWS say they need a copy of our Namibian hunting licenses and a copy of a "hunt list"...whatever that is.

We never saw these documents while in Namibia, though I know they were acquired as we hunted with a reputable ourfitter and I'm pretty sure Namibia would not have let them the trophies of the country without them.

Any knowledge or advice on this subject would be appreciated.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt list is all the trophies listing sex,and what you have;Skull,cape,backskin,flatskin....

Your outfitter should still have a copy,I know the one I used had a folder with triplicates in it.....

They should be able to fax one....

Lots of fires in northern Namibia right now,lots of landowners pitch in with their neighbors,so you may not get an immediate reply from there!

Good luck

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevie:
At least it is urgent for me:

Our completed trophies from Namibia have arrived in Dallas and are being cleared though the various agencies. USFWS say they need a copy of our Namibian hunting licenses and a copy of a "hunt list"...whatever that is.

We never saw these documents while in Namibia, though I know they were acquired as we hunted with a reputable ourfitter and I'm pretty sure Namibia would not have let them the trophies of the country without them.

Any knowledge or advice on this subject would be appreciated.

Stevie:

Please keep me informed of your problems/progress on this issue. I'll be in the same situation a month or so from now. Thanks.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My PH sent me back w/something like this...can't remember what it was called, had all the basic info. on. Actually we had to refer to it to sort out the Gemsbuck horns, 3 of us each shot one.
I'll try to find it tommorrow and see what it is called.
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stevie,
I hunted in Namibia in May. In August I received a mailing from my PH which included a "Permit To Hunt For Trophies" document issued by the "Ministry of Environment and Tourism" of Namibia. The document appears to be the hunting permit taken out by my PH for my hunt. On the first page it lists all the animals I might have hunted and the second page lists the animals I actually took, the measurements, the farm location, the farm owner's signature, PH's signature and my signature. I've never gotten anything like this after hunting SA and never had customs ask for any lists.
- Robert

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
OK, here is how it is suppose to work.
You are not allowed to hunt any trophy animal in Namibia if you are not in possession of a trophy hunting permit obtained by your PH for you.
This document, according to law should be in your possession for the whole trip, for obvious reasons we don't drag the thing along during the day but is should at least be in the camp where you are hunting.

Your Ph fills in all the details of the hunt on the back including, Animal, sex, age, farm hunted, measurements. You along with the PH and owner of the land have to sign this permit at the end of the hunt.
You'll be surprised at how many of my clients that have hunted Namibia before did not even know they had a permit on their previous trip.

Make sure upon your arrival to camp that your PH has this document in his possession before you start hunting and make sure you sign this document on the last day. You might lose your trophies if you don't do this. They specify on the permit the animals you are allowed to take and a max of 2 per species. If you don’t have for instance mountain Zebra written on the front of the permit you are not allowed to hunt Mountain Zebra.

Don't know in this case how they got the trophies out of Namibia if there was no such permit, most of the Taxidermist or shipping agents will not accept trophies without this permit.

If it happens to you during a hunt where the PH can not show you this document after the hunt please report it immediately to Napha upon your arrival back home. This practice is illegal and there are guys in our country that operates like this.

Note that for Cheetah and leopard you need to have a separate permit and if you are planning on bow hunting you need to have a special permit with a stamp stating you are bow hunting, your guide or PH must have a separate qualification for this. Animals shot with unregistered bow hunting guides and without this special permit can not legally be taken out of the country or register in any of the record book as taken with a bow.

Stevie if you hunted with a legit operation I’m sure the documents are somewhere and they should have a copy of it.
If you have any problems PM me and I’ll see if we can help you.

Regards

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied.

I just received the documents via e-mail.. The Namibian shipper had them and scanned them for us. My urgency was much ado about nothing I guess, but when you have $15,000 invested in your trophies, you tend to get a little on edge when something goes wrong.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote