New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoring costs...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What does it cost to have Rowland-Ward or SCI measure your animals?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Nothing. Measurers are not allowed to charge. Although room and board if travel is required is often offered and accepted. The measurer must enter the info on the proper form as required for the trophy and method. He then must sign the form and it is given to the hunter. If the hunter then decides to enter the trophy into the record book, a fee for entry is charged by the organization. A photo of the trophy is required to accompany the application and field photos are preferred.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
A member on the PHX. SCI BOD used to run the SCI records department, They charge for everything BUT scoring. Those plaques, badges, inner circles and statues are rediculously expensive. The records department is considered a profit center for SCI and exists without help from any other internal SCI funding. They asked us for financial help in printing their brochures last year.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
When I received my first set of animals from my first safari, I was surprised to see three measureing score sheets for three of my animals that would make the SCI book included in the crate.

I looked over the paperwork, thought well this is nice, and threw them in the trash.

Just returned less than two weeks ago from my second safari and I never saw a tape measure the entire week!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
When I received my first set of animals from my first safari, I was surprised to see three measureing score sheets for three of my animals that would make the SCI book included in the crate.

I looked over the paperwork, thought well this is nice, and threw them in the trash.

Just returned less than two weeks ago from my second safari and I never saw a tape measure the entire week!

I just got back Saturday from a sheep hunt, 10 days climbing huge mountains in the rain. Shot a nice 10 year old full curl ram which we never put a tape to, feels proper.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Nothing. Measurers are not allowed to charge. Although room and board if travel is required is often offered and accepted. The measurer must enter the info on the proper form as required for the trophy and method. He then must sign the form and it is given to the hunter. If the hunter then decides to enter the trophy into the record book, a fee for entry is charged by the organization. A photo of the trophy is required to accompany the application and field photos are preferred.

Sounds just like SCI!

The measurers are not allowed to charge anything, but SCI does.

Amazing what a money making machine this has turned out to be!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67423 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Rowland Ward: "There is no charge for the measurement of a trophy, although a trophy entry fee is charged by the Editors to cover the publication costs of the entries." Measurement is free. If you choose to enter the trophy into the Record Book and receive a certificate then it costs R100 ($30).

SCI: "Record Book processing fee is $35.00 per entry. Most members choose to purchase the medallion plaque when they submit their entry. If the medallion plaque is purchased at the same time as the entry, then the total fee is $80.00." You must also be an SCI member, about $150/3 years.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fees seems reasonable, if one has any interest in THAT for posterity.

If I ever got to the point (may I be gored by a Buff, trampled by an Elephant or clawed by a big cat first) That I went to a nursing home it might be neat to have a plaque or certificate on the wall. Some cna would probably steal it the first night there.

Tough question for you all: does it honor the animal you took, or is it an ego stroke and a little $$$ for the organization?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich- In answering your question, I think it's a little of all three. Nothing wrong with honoring the animal, stroking your ego a little and helping out the organization. Anyone who claims to not engage in a little self ego boosting at times is fooling only themselves. And why not pay a fee to enter your trophy in SCI, RW, Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young if you want? Life is not a freebie, so why should this action be any different? I think it's "If you want to play, you have to pay". Life is funny that way.

Saeed - It seems you just can't stand seeing SCI MAKE MONEY. Here is a clue!! That's what they do!! You are not forced to enter animals in the SCI system, so if you don't like it don't do it, simple huh? Money, and lots of it are required to keep the wheels moving in fighting the fight against the antis and all who would love to see hunting go away. Like them or not they are pretty much the only ones who put their money where their mouth is and help ALL hunters Worldwide, even the people who bash them and can't see the light. It seems some try and turn all threads into a SCI Bashing one???

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
The fees seems reasonable, if one has any interest in THAT for posterity.

If I ever got to the point (may I be gored by a Buff, trampled by an Elephant or clawed by a big cat first) That I went to a nursing home it might be neat to have a plaque or certificate on the wall. Some cna would probably steal it the first night there.

Tough question for you all: does it honor the animal you took, or is it an ego stroke and a little $$$ for the organization?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I am a SCI measurer and I always score SCI member's animals free of charge. So, when someone who isn't a member asks me to to score their animal, I tell them to join SCI for $ 85 and I will score all their animals for free, otherwise I'm not representing SCI, so I tell them it would be $ 100/ animal. They always buy a membership.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI Awards Committe is a profit center but they did donate over $200,000 last year to hunting related activities. I am a member.
I do not play the individual animal record entry game....to me it seems more like competing with a fellow hunter than the animal. I have played SCI's Inner Circle game because only a pic is required and it strokes my ego....need to catch up tho since it's been at least three years since I submitted anything...I have some advancements to make my ego happy!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote