Notify
Tools

Buffalo Video Clip
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T
posted
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=61489&cdate=20060605&ctime=192649
Didn't get it up on my website yet so maybe this will work?

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice video clip. Congratulations on a great Buffalo.

Any chance you can spin it 90 degrees so it's right side up? Smiler

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
As they say ... a picture is worth a 1000 words - but then it also takes a 1000 times more memory!

Nice clip and a good memory.

(And mine's right side up)

Johan

Johan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Were you both wearing PAST shooting shields? What went into the decision to not pull the trigger about fifteen seconds earlier when the bull was standing in the open, broadside? Was your view considerably different from the camera angle?

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
What went into the decision to not pull the trigger about fifteen seconds earlier when the bull was standing in the open, broadside?

My thoughts exactly!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted Hide Post
That video makes it look rather easy. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My thoughts exactly!

And mine.

It seems the hunter was waiting for the buff to start running before taking the shot - why would anyone want to do that?

Posts: 31 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 23 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of laredo kid
posted Hide Post
Hey T , don't you know you can't hypnotize a cape buff like Croc Dundee - that only works on water buff!!!!!! I can't belive you didn't learn that in school . Now I am pissed because your buff is bigggggger than mine.

Posts: 159 | Location: Pasadena Texas | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Widowmaker416:
[QUOTE]What went into the decision to not pull the trigger about fifteen seconds earlier when the bull was standing in the open, broadside?
Standing 30 yards broadside would have been too easy. 70 yards running is fair chase and more sporting. Wink bull
Laredo Kid mine might be bigger but you get 10 extra SCI points for using a leveraction. stir

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice clip...understanding bullets are usually one of the cheapest components of the safari...fire away, my friend. No use to do a boring one shot kill! Smiler

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bwanamrm Actually this was the first day of my Safari and my young ph was low balling the size of this bull. I decided at the last second he IS big enough and he was getting away so I let him have it. You can see the dust fly off his shoulder with that first shot. Turns out he was 42"wide.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
And a great bull he is...I've been lucky enough to shoot three buff in my nine safaris and I don't have one that measures 42" yet! Hopefully I'll rectify that in Zambia this year. Your bull is a stunner! Congrats!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Nice clip.

Don't be too hard on the young PH. I have never hunted buffalo but, I would imagine field judging a Buffalo by itself is pretty difficult.

In fact that was my first thought when I saw this video. "Why is he all by himself?" Every other video clip I have seen there is more than one buffalo. Is it common for them to be alone? When does that usually happen? Do old bulls get kicked out of the herd?

Sorry for, alot of questions, just trying to learn.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No question, it's a great bull, but your answer as to why you didn't shoot him broadside at 30 yards doesn't do anything for me. I don't get my kicks from watching an animal absorb lead. If I can put them down with one shot I do it. I consider THAT more sporting.

To me "Fair Chase" doesn't mean scare something and shoot him in the ass 'til he dies.

I hope to see a bull as good next month. The other thing that impressed me was how quick his first move was once he decided to split.

one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Kensco Wink bull I was trying to indicate b.s. or poking fun. Re read my post to Bwanamrm about what actually happened.
It is hunting and doesn't always follow a script. But it is easy to Monday morning quarterback. I should have done this or should have done that. One of my buddys shot a 53.5 inch kudu while I was in Namibia last month. He later turned down a 60 incher Roll Eyes Now that is something to regret.
Good luck on your hunt next month.

one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBigGuy:
Nice clip.

Don't be too hard on the young PH. I have never hunted buffalo but, I would imagine field judging a Buffalo by itself is pretty difficult.

In fact that was my first thought when I saw this video. "Why is he all by himself?" Every other video clip I have seen there is more than one buffalo. Is it common for them to be alone? When does that usually happen? Do old bulls get kicked out of the herd?

Sorry for, alot of questions, just trying to learn.

Big Guy I think the body size and not getting a very long front view made it more difficult to judge the size. We had followed a herd earlier in the morning only to catch glimpse of them running away in awfully thick bush.
Yes this is normal to find old bulls by themselves that have been as you say kicked out of the herd.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Smiler

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen on the bigger kudu. We spotted two at about 0900hrs on the first morning. One might have gone 60". Granted they were at 500+ yards with a lot of open terrain between us. I agreed to not attempt a shot and not press them. We never saw the big boy again, and two days later popped a nice 55" bull. That's what I like about hunting; no guarantees.

That comment about your buddy passing on a 60" later reminds me of two people I allowed hunt with me over the years. Both were mule deer hunts. Both killed a smaller buck, then ran into a bigger buck, and couldn't resist killing it too, even though it was illegal to kill a second buck. People make poor decisions some time when they're in the field. I like hunting with people that respect the sport. People that don't, don't get to hunt with me twice. They've ruined my experience. I don't need that.

In your friends case it was probably just a trophy fee standing between him and that 60" kudu, but he still had a tough decision to make. That's hunting. I love it.