Find
Notify
Tools

Rifles in Botswana
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Seq
posted
Does anyone know if I can bring my rifles into Botswana without already having booked a hunt? If I remember correctly, both Namibian and South African authorities want to know who you will be hunting with before they will allow you to import a rifle, but I don’t know about Botswana.
S.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
You'll need a temporary firearms permit issued in advance of your visit. This is usually handled by a safari company or shooting club. I doubt the federales are going to issue the permit without an official "sponsor" or proof of legitimate need for importing a firearm.

Contact the Botswanan embassy in DC and plead your case. I wouldn't show up on their doorstep with a firearm in tow and no permit awaiting me.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB gives good advice.

Even a resident PH of Botswana is allowed to have only two rifles in country, and reloading of ammunition by citizens within the country is prohibited. So it was when I was there last. Pretty restrictive on even the citizens of Botswana.

There is little corruption, and public advertizing billboard-style about no bribes tolerated.

Nice country with odd gun and ammo policies.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote