THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Corona impact on African hunting travelers

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corona impact on African hunting travelers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have slowed in posting in forums by and large but felt a thread should be started and kept updated here and on other hunting sites.There is a ton of information some verifiably true plus a lot of speculation in the media about Corona or COVID-19 if you prefer. There was one report dated February 3 of an infected traveler entering Botswana on Ethiopian Air and I saw some fake news about Air Namibia canceling flights from Frankfurt (happens often enough without Corona so good enough reason for some to speculate) but other than that unverified Botswana case CDC maintains that as of now all African hunting countries are unaffected FOR NOW. This is not to be alarming or incite fears but hunting companies should be considering the potential impact of this rapidly spreading pandemic, the virus is extremely transmissive and could have major consequences to the public there that has little or no medical access. We should all be thinking about how to deal with major flight delays and cancellations and how that will impact your individual businesses. Having ready resources in the various airline hubs (like Mr. X in Joberg) to rescue or calm travelers should be given some thought and have you should have those contacts quickly available for clients in a bind. Further it will be a VERY awkward conversation with clients concerning their deposits if they can not get to you for a hunt through no fault of their own, how will you as individuals address this?? TheSafariConnection is recommending that all operators contact 2020 clients and discuss protocols before an issue arises.. We will be posting updates on our travel serices page as soon as we can verify that reports are valid. SEAN SCOTT-TheSafariConnection.com TheSafariConnection.com

SAFARISEAN

Posts: 180 | Location: KC MO> | Registered: 31 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
My recent experience with Ripcord would suggest using someone else.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Todd,

Could you give us more details please?

I am getting emails from them on a regular basis, but I have been a member of Global Rescue for years.

Luckily I never had any cause to use them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please elaborate on your experience I can say that I have experience with Med Jet Assist and Global Rescue that were not up to par as well so if not RIPCORD then do you have any recommendations for AR members that I am unaware of?? I think SCI did have an insurer but I can't find anything on their web site but I could be missing the info??

SAFARISEAN

Administrator
posted Hide Post
It will great help if any member who has had any experience in this regard let us know what happened.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I’m concerned, trip insurance is a joke.

Read the terms and conditions.

Essentially it is we will pay if we feel like it.

Medical evacuations, sure. Plane tics they do ok with, but 100k full bag safaris? Nope.

As to coronavirus, well I’m sitting here on the first leg to Ethiopia. I’m in the health care business. I guess that shows what I think of the risk. IMO, it’s less than the flu right now.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to Todd’s experience, do a search... he’s went over it at least twice here...

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SEAN,

This has not been declared a Pandemic by the CDC. If folks are concerned they should go to the CDC website Traveler's Health and follow their recommendations. What you are putting out is way premature. I have not had one hunters even inquire about traveling this year because of the virus.

Read Dr. Butler's posts above.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Let’s just think about the positive... if we get stuck somewhere, we can always do more hunting

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point. And die happy.....

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Todd,

Could you give us more details please?

I am getting emails from them on a regular basis, but I have been a member of Global Rescue for years.

Luckily I never had any cause to use them.

Here's a link to one of the 2 times I discussed it previously. It wasn't a lot of money. Just 1 economy ticket to Zim but it's the principle of the matter. I understand others have had a positive experience. We didn't. That's all really.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...951017752#1951017752

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
SEAN,

This has not been declared a Pandemic by the CDC. If folks are concerned they should go to the CDC website Traveler's Health and follow their recommendations. What you are putting out is way premature. I have not had one hunters even inquire about traveling this year because of the virus.

Read Dr. Butler's posts above.

Mark

Well gee Mark thanks for painting me as an inflammatory ninny I really apricate that and it reminds of why I have not made a post here in 6 months you are awesome! I did not say it was a pandemic in the USA as declared by the CDC, it is in China 100%, and I don't know how I can be so premature given hunting season is on now. I also own and run GunToolZ and Safe Shield Ballistic Resistant Products both of which source many products from China including from Wuhan, my friends there say that the Chinese government is downplaying and underreporting cases but if you choose to believe the Chinese government then well by all mean do so? These uninformed Chinese people/friends that are living in the middle of all this every day also say that the death rate is much, much higher than reported and that if you are in the room with the infected you will be infected period but again you have your sources and I have mine believe as you will.
You know when I called my stock portfolio manager a week ago last Wednesday with similar concerns she said the same exact thing to me now she doesn't work for me anymore and I'm about $150,000.00 poorer so I think I will go ahead and think about this a little. For those unwise ninny's like me that are AR users I'd like to know your company policy on this? It seems you aren't interested in being proactive in considering this potential issue so I suppose that your company like mine guarantees all hunts 100% and you will just cover the cost of those canceled hunts if this highly unlikely ,IN YOUR OPINION, chain of events occurs? I don't know about your customers asking questions but mine are and not just 1 or 2. My real point of this was to open a discussion among professionals for taking this issue into consideration and discussing ways to handle it if it occurs. If you intend to just ignore the elephant in the room, no pun intended, well I guess that is a position also so good luck. S

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
As far as I’m concerned, trip insurance is a joke.

Read the terms and conditions.

Essentially it is we will pay if we feel like it.

Medical evacuations, sure. Plane tics they do ok with, but 100k full bag safaris? Nope.

As to coronavirus, well I’m sitting here on the first leg to Ethiopia. I’m in the health care business. I guess that shows what I think of the risk. IMO, it’s less than the flu right now.

I have asked a Ripcord rep to join AR and address how they insure travel and airfares. Hopefully they follow through in a timely manner. S

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok so as I stated I asked a RIPCORD rep to weigh in on this and they declined. I have been informed that Ripcord will not be able to insure any trip or travel that is canceled due to Corona. They stated that the CDC has issued statements that make Corona a preexisting state and all travelers should take that into consideration. The agent also offered as his opinion that NO travel or flight insurance company is going to cover Corona affected travel. As a result of this TheSafariConnection warns travellers that you are on your own in this. We will use Ripcord as our preferred travel insurance for other "unforeseen" travel issues but dont waste your $$$ trying to cover Corona. This is different response than was given previously by Ripcord and reflects the rapidly changing situation with Corona.

SAFARISEAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Traveler insurance is always a dogfight to collect on. Still better than nothing.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SafariSean:
This is different response than was given previously by Ripcord ....

coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have slowed in posting in forums by and large but felt a thread should be started and kept updated here and on other hunting sites.There is a ton of information some verifiably true plus a lot of speculation in the media about Corona or COVID-19 if you prefer. There was one report dated February 3 of an infected traveler entering Botswana on Ethiopian Air and I saw some fake news about Air Namibia canceling flights from Frankfurt (happens often enough without Corona so good enough reason for some to speculate) but other than that unverified Botswana case CDC maintains that as of now all African hunting countries are unaffected FOR NOW. This is not to be alarming or incite fears but hunting companies should be considering the potential impact of this rapidly spreading pandemic, the virus is extremely transmissive and could have major consequences to the public there that has little or no medical access. We should all be thinking about how to deal with major flight delays and cancellations and how that will impact your individual businesses. Having ready resources in the various airline hubs (like Mr. X in Joberg) to rescue or calm travelers should be given some thought and have you should have those contacts quickly available for clients in a bind. Further it will be a VERY awkward conversation with clients concerning their deposits if they can not get to you for a hunt through no fault of their own, how will you as individuals address this?? TheSafariConnection is recommending that all operators contact 2020 clients and discuss protocols before an issue arises.. We will be posting updates on our travel serices page as soon as we can verify that reports are valid. SEAN SCOTT-TheSafariConnection.com

NOTE THIS POST HAS BEEN MODIFIED DUE TO INCOMING QUICKLY CHANGING INFORMATION at 5:20 pm

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I had Ripcord Flying to Bishkek First Class. I had a Service interruption and they paid the entire claim. just over $1200. I have never had to use any Travel Insurance for a Medical extraction.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am flying to Papua New Guinea for a offshore fishing trip early April.

Definitely thinking twice about the trip.

Have not booked the flight and now looking at going via Brisbane Australia instead of hk, Manila or Singapore.

Not so worried about coronavirus on the trip.

I am worried about it on the flight and transit.

Fatality profile

https://www.businessinsider.co...e-higher-risk-2020-2

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Travel insurance is a waste of time. Whatever company you wish to look at, ask for a complete list of exclusions. That will tell you all you wish to know. The sales staff work on commission so they only get paid if they sell you something. So there is a motive to bullshit a buyer and keep the truth and exclusions from you.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Have not booked the flight and now looking at going via Brisbane Australia instead of hk, Manila or Singapore.

Fatality profile

Mike

I would be going thru Brisbane even if their was not the Corona virus. Love Singapore, but love Brisbane more.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
quote:

Fatality profile

Mike

I would be going thru Brisbane even if their was not the Corona virus. Love Singapore, but love Brisbane more.

Will try and spend a few days in Brisbane.

But it’s not fun traveling when you see amazon shut down non essential travel for its employees.

Also worried about what happens to the Orlando and Florida economy if tourism takes a hit.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I am more concerned about my 10 day cruise of the Adriatic Sea and Greek Isles that leaves and returns from Venice in mid June than I am about my African hunt in Sept. Called the cruise line today and they assured me that if the cruise was cancelled, I would get a full refund. That will work! tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I am more concerned about my 10 day cruise of the Adriatic Sea and Greek Isles that leaves and returns from Venice in mid June than I am about my African hunt in Sept. Called the cruise line today and they assured me that if the cruise was cancelled, I would get a full refund. That will work! tu2

This is just me,... but I wouldn't take any cruise even if it was free.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
With airline and cruise company stocks down around 20% in one week across the board, I think it is safe to say COVID19 fears are very real and very widespread.

Hard to make a decision when you can't really trust the sources for disease information.

My family travel plans are in a holding pattern. Not canceling our trips, nor are we adding any. Will be paying for stuff as late as possible and try to maintain the most flexibility in changing plans at the last minute with least financial impact.

Finally,I suggest ignoring the Baghdad Bobs selling travel saying everything is fine; likewise ignore those that are afraid to leave Mom's basement.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are the things we know (and don't know) about COVID19:

1. It is caused by a variety of coronavirus which was previously unknown.

2. It appears much more easily transmitted from person to person than previously known coronaviruses.

3. Symptoms vary widely among those infected. Some may be asymptomatic while others develop severe respiratory failure. It is not known if contracting the virus, falling ill, and recovering provides significant immunity to re-infection.

4. Children seem not to develop symptoms as readily as adults and seniors. Whether children are less likely to become infected is still unknown.

5. As with nearly any infection, persons whose health is otherwise compromised (age, other infections, heart disease, etc.) are more likely to experience severe symptoms and mortality.

6. Containing the virus through strict quarantine seems fruitless due to its high degree of infectiousness.

7. There is a possibility that it will be a long time before it reaches Antarctica; all other continents are already infected.

8. Its mortality rate appears to be several times as high as other respiratory diseases like the various strains of influenza.

9. Its mortality rate is as yet not fully determined, but certainly varies with the medical assets available to the patient. Many COVID19 victims who have become seriously ill would not have survived without sophisticated treatment such as respirators.

10. Medical assets are relatively "abundant" and available in developed countries, but may be very scarce in underdeveloped areas. "Relatively" means under normal circumstances. If tens of thousands of persons in Europe or the U.S. suddenly need to be put on a respirator, then many of them will be shit out of luck. Ninety-nine percent plus of persons in sub-Sahara Africa needing a respirator are in a hopeless situation.

11. Financial markets are not perfect and often act with a herd mentality. However, large investors are not stupid and it is the large investors who have caused the 12% drop in world-wide markets. Those investors see a high probability of serious economic disruption from COVID19.

12. But never fear: Trump says "it's a hoax"; that it will "just disappear"; and that he has it "completely under control". As always, you can take his word to the bank.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Here are the things we know (and don't know) about COVID19:

1. It is caused by a variety of coronavirus which was previously unknown.

2. It appears much more easily transmitted from person to person than previously known coronaviruses.

3. Symptoms vary widely among those infected. Some may be asymptomatic while others develop severe respiratory failure. It is not known if contracting the virus, falling ill, and recovering provides significant immunity to re-infection.

4. Children seem not to develop symptoms as readily as adults and seniors. Whether children are less likely to become infected is still unknown.

5. As with nearly any infection, persons whose health is otherwise compromised (age, other infections, heart disease, etc.) are more likely to experience severe symptoms and mortality.

6. Containing the virus through strict quarantine seems fruitless due to its high degree of infectiousness.

7. There is a possibility that it will be a long time before it reaches Antarctica; all other continents are already infected.

8. Its mortality rate appears to be several times as high as other respiratory diseases like the various strains of influenza.

9. Its mortality rate is as yet not fully determined, but certainly varies with the medical assets available to the patient. Many COVID19 victims who have become seriously ill would not have survived without sophisticated treatment such as respirators.

10. Medical assets are relatively "abundant" and available in developed countries, but may be very scarce in underdeveloped areas. "Relatively" means under normal circumstances. If tens of thousands of persons in Europe or the U.S. suddenly need to be put on a respirator, then many of them will be shit out of luck. Ninety-nine percent plus of persons in sub-Sahara Africa needing a respirator are in a hopeless situation.

11. Financial markets are not perfect and often act with a herd mentality. However, large investors are not stupid and it is the large investors who have caused the 12% drop in world-wide markets. Those investors see a high probability of serious economic disruption from COVID19.

12. But never fear: Trump says "it's a hoax"; that it will "just disappear"; and that he has it "completely under control". As always, you can take his word to the bank.

I would as a simple rule follow markets. They may get things wrong but much less wrong than experts, news media and politicians.

If markets keep crashing globally - bad things coming.

Never in my life have I cheered so hard for trump and xi theory that hot weather will be best source to control it.

Just interesting data points

Korea is mainly a religious sect
- I will bet Iran will be a religious site in qom

Thailand had 3 mil Chinese tourist over Chinese New Year - few cases - nice hot thai weather I hope.

I am more worried about flight crew than I am about passengers.

The Chinese growth rate has massively slowed down.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am leaving for Bulawayo in 6 weeks and now I am starting to worry a bit UGH

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I believe the Highest risk to get infected lies in International Airports.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My fear is that most folks are treated in small general practitioners and rural hospitals. These practices will not have the resources to diagnose and correctly engage Crono.

These practices will misdiagnose as the flu or pneumonia. Hell, the CDC and FDA can’t get enough testing kits into New York and California. Anyone think your “large” state University hospital will have the tools to diagnose, treat, and prevent exposure to healthcare professionals.

I had the flu two months ago. My local MD took one look at me and said strap. Three rounds of antibiotics later, someone said let’s test you for the flu.

What we need and I am not hearing on the news is a Vaccine.

We have an international airport in KY. Think about ATL airport.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After going through the airport in Addis...

The Chinese use of masks is a joke.

I think I saw 1-2 folks out of 100’s with them on right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We at Thesafariconnection.com are placing a 30 day hold on collection/forwarding of safari deposits. We are also asking potential travelers to if possible avoid the purchase of air fares. We are proceeding with this abundance of caution to protect client money and health while we closely observe this issue.

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We at Thesafariconnection.com are placing a 30 day hold on collection/forwarding of safari deposits. We are also asking potential travelers to if possible avoid the purchase of air fares. We are proceeding with this abundance of caution to protect client money and health while we closely observe this issue.

Well done Sean. You were way way way ahead of the curve.

Maybe chase whitetail or mule deer in Nebraska this year.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mike

He so ahead of the curve I think he went off the roadWink

I PM’ed him 2 weeks ago and he never answered me

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Ar pm is a little dated. May be going to his junk folder.

Sean is a good guy - I have hunted mule deer with him in Nebraska.

And he was away ahead of it is a flu crowd and did good for his clients.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Ar pm is a little dated. May be going to his junk folder.

Sean is a good guy - I have hunted mule deer with him in Nebraska.

And he was away ahead of it is a flu crowd and did good for his clients.

Mike

Joking aside, he sounds like a good guy looking out for us hereWink