Find
Notify
Tools

Another tuff pack question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry,

When is TuffPak going to offer a padlock version?

Remember, I promised to buy one from you when they become available.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
In 2003 I traveled with my stepfather and good friend to Zimbabwe. I carried my Krieghoff 500/416, 375 H&H and other gear in my Tuffpak. My stepfather took his rifle and some gear in the SKB golf case and Johnnie took a Browning case. When we arrived in Atlanta my case was fine, my stepfather's case had a badly bent latch where the pad lock attached and Johnnie's Browning case was missing one latch and the handle. When we got to Johannesburg my case was again fine, my stepdad's case was missing the latch and Johnnie's case was missing the field expediant repairs we made in Atlanta.

A Tuffpak is the toughest case made and the only case to use for international air travel with firearms and other valuables such as binoculars, cameras, rangefinders, scopes, and knives. They are indestuctible and I have seen mine take quite a dive off a loading ramp in and the rifle and contents were undamaged. The SKB case will work, but it doesn't hold as much because of the two piece design. It might not suffer any damage if a very small pad lock is used, but it would need to be the size of a cheap luggage lock because of how far even a moderate sized lock sticks out on the side and obviously catches on everything baggage handlers can bang it into. Also, with the SKB, if you carry boots, coats, binos, scopes and such these items tend to fall out when you pull the top off to declare firearms at check-in or customs and they are a bitch to repack by yourself as you need three hands to hold the crap in and put the lid on. The SKB case can be bent by standing on it, the Tuffpak can't.

My case will make its 5th trip soon and I remember when I was looking at the goofy thing wondering if it was really worth the 300 plus I was going to part with the buy it. I would gladly pay twice that amount now after seeing how well the case does its job.

Mark 6.5X55 spend the money as it will be the last case you ever need to buy and it is worth 5 times what the SKB costs. You will be disappointed in the SKB case like you would be if you purchased a Remington 710 instead of a Pre-64 Winchester.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Couple of answers

Both cases are made of polyethlene

SKB cases have a recess for the lock

Guys all in all I suspect the Tuffpak is a better case...the real question comes down is it personally worth the extra money...I decided to go with SKB it has worked fine

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Couple of answers

Both cases are made of polyethlene

SKB cases have a recess for the lock

Guys all in all I suspect the Tuffpak is a better case...the real question comes down is it personally worth the extra money...I decided to go with SKB it has worked fine

Yes it is

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would appear that non salesman Ray and non salesman PWN have pretty much stated the reasons to buy Tuffpak.
I rest my case (pun intended)

As to a padlock...never I hope but if there is ever a good way to use one....maybe.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
As to a padlock...never I hope ...

That is why people will keep purchasing Pelican and SKB.

Smiler Smiler Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tuff Pak Frowner

SKB Big Grin

Frankly, I have used alot of cases of the last 20 years... from beartrack to americase to doskocil to pelican to skb. I have seen a couple of Tuff Paks.

For my money, it was the SKB.

Not to mention SKB is about 2 miles from my office and Pelican is within a half an hour.

posted Hide Post
I can see the attraction of putting all your clothes in your guncase and just travelling with that, but what about your ammo?

Many airlines want it packed in a seperate case/bag and you obviously can't carry it in your hand luggage..I know Saeed use a seperate case for his ammo, but I suggest he probably takes far more than the average hunter...I am using a metal cash box for mine and although it could technically booked in as a seperate item, I suspect it would be prone to being lost or stolen..

regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

I just returned from Alaska... On Alaska Air, it doesn't matter since TSA now sets all regs, they allowed all three of our guns cases, containing 9 rifles and 3 handguns, to travel with the CORRECT AMMO for each weapon in the same case.

All cases were padlocked but still...

In the past, they wanted ammo in a seperate piece of luggage, I even have a seperate little case for ammo, but, since 2001, it hasn't been that way for me. I fly with firearms in the US, Canada and Mexico several times a year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll keep my Browning Travelvault. Heavy...yes, it's heavy. But it's also uncompromising when it comes to the goons handling bagage. Big Grin Five trips to Africa, twenty plus trips to Montana, Wyoming and Canada. IF I didn't already have the Browning, I would probably look at the TuffPak but, until someone steals it...the Travelvault gets my vote.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I have to go along with bull 1. My Browing Travel Vault is just that, a vault. Been to Africa twice, and the goons may drop it, but they sure as hell are not going to be throwing it around. shame

It has superficial marks from rough handling, but the full length hinge, double locks, low profile handle, and recessed wheels make for a very secure case. I also find it very stable when rolling through the parking lots and airports.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spyro, I think you are wronge about who sets the Regs. Where the Ammo is packed is still set by each airline, not TSA. CHEERS

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MZEE,

You could be right but, in recent years, I haven't had to seperate ammo from firearms on any domestic or international flights (Mexico & Canada) regardless of airline.

Then again, I could tell you stories about the numerous times that I have ridden BART (the San Francisco Bay Area's Subway system) in the late 80s and early 90s with a giant guncase. I doubt that they let you do that anymore Smiler

SA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spyro,
As an example KLM allows ammo in your gun case while British Airways does not. I suggest that people go to the Airline website and print out their rules as many of the ticket agents don't know their companys rules when it comes to traveling with guns and ammo. CHEERS

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I fear you are on the road I took, I spent a hell of a lot of money on a lot of so called fine cases before I got a Tuffpak, and I even use it for my golf clubs when traveling..

I don't know where the Pelican seperates but if the bottom unit does not go completely to the top of the whole shebang, then when you open it at the airport for inspection, all your crap will fall out and you will be standing there packing it back up, like my golf traveling bag that I don't use any more...

I don't know how good a Pelican case is but I don know the Tuffpak is worth the money, at least for someone that uses one as much as I do, it is a lifetime investment for me, and so the money was well spent...

I watched from a airport window as my high dollar Cabellas 3 gun case fell damn near 50 yards to the ground when it missed the ramp by a idiot baggage handler, and I literally raised holy hell in that airport and I had everybodys attention including the airport manager and a lawyer I hired on the spot that voluntered his help, it was ass kicking time but they succombed to my attack,

the case bent and smashed a corner, they opened it, checked the guns, and later paid me for case and one rifle stock and a scope and mounts.....I assure you the Tuff pack would take the hit without damage, the guns? who knows...

For what its worth.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I have used almost every type of case to transport my Rifles. Also I have observed rifle cases at airports used by others. The aluminium cases with the long rod seem to suffer damage more than others. The Pelican case is a good one. I have used mine several times. However I ALWAYS tape the latches and locks down with "duck tape". When I was planning my first safari with HHK Lou Hallamore recommended I use a Tuff-Pak. I did. I have also used it on my trip to Canada.
Take it from me it is the beat way to go.
It weighs about 1/2 of the Pelican, and will carry quite a bit more stuff.
It is the best way to go.
I got mine from Harry.
Since most of my hunting riflews break down I am looking into getting a Take Down Tuff-Pak.

500 Nitro,
The current lock on the Tuff-Pak is far superior to a floppy padlock.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Life is an adventure and a gamble. If you want to risk your high priced rifle in other than a Tuff Pack do IT. I think that the fact that the TP is lighter and sturdier is enough for me. It is your gamble. Those of us with a Tuff Pack don't gamble with our guns anymore.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
It would appear that non salesman Ray and non salesman PWN have pretty much stated the reasons to buy Tuffpak.
I rest my case (pun intended)

As to a padlock...never I hope but if there is ever a good way to use one....maybe.

Harry-I just found out something else that fit into my Tuffpak, in addition to all that was previously mentioned. About 3 hours ago, I got an email from my P.H. in Namibia, asking if there was any way I could bring over a 3 person, pop-up ground blind for him. I drove up to Cabela's, and picked up their Lightning Set Hunting Blind for him. When assembled the blind measures 84X98X63, and weighs 12 pounds. With a little judicious rearrangeing, I fit it in. It couldn't have fit in my duffle, as it is only 34 inches long, and the blind is 44 inches long when collapsed.