THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunters Help // Near U Penn Philadelphia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters Help // Near U Penn Philadelphia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
Dear AR guests

Are there any well respected gun clubs, hunting chapters, OR evn (AR hunters) near the University of Penn in Philadelphia whom would be kind enough to (maybe consider helping out) ( Andreas ) a young South African whom will be coming over around September time to study at the University.

Basically he would want to keep up his hunting tradition and mix with the right outdoors wildlife & hunting people to get him settled and established so to speak in what will be a new oudoors invironment for him.

His parents would be along initially for a short while to help with initial settlement ...

Andreas's father is a well respected and (extremely knowledgible african hunting person)

Any thoughts welcome please

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Cannot help him out in Pa. However if he can pass down to OU then I would be quite sure I could get him on a redneck rabbit hunt, a squirrel spot and stalk, hell maybe even a shot at a whitetail, I'd even get him up to Ks. for a bit of pheasant hunting. Sorry, but that is the best I can do. I hope you find someone who can help!

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Balla Balla,

I am north of him but sure would help him out and have him meet some other fellow hunters here in Pa. Even maybe if he has time get him out for black bear hunting...
SCI Lehigh Valley member
regards,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few thoughts - we can explore further if he wishes.

U of Penn is in an urban part of Phila. It is like Jo-burg, where one must be very careful if out alone after dark. He will have to go many miles to find any open ground larger than a small city park.

Fall archery season and spring turkey season are pleasant times to be in the woods. He will find the weather in winter to be pretty cold. Ever hunted in snow before? It's nice, but takes some experience to stay comfortable.

Access to private ground is hard to get. PA has some public hunting ground. Maps are included with hunting license information. The area around Phila is bow and shotgun only (short range weapons). Rifles are not allowed until you get into the next county. It is easy to get into trouble with some of these regulations, so it is good to hunt with someone who knows the ropes here. He must also have a previous hunting license or proof of a hunter safety class in order to buy a hunting license.

There are a fair number of sportsmen's clubs in the area outside/around Phila. These are mainly shooting ranges as opposed to hunting clubs, but good contacts to make.

The closest SCI chapter is probably Lehigh Valley. I couln't find a contact listed in the latest Safari magazine but maybe SCI office can help.

I belong to Susquehannock Chapter SCI. They are fairly active. We are located 2 hours or so West of Phila. He can email me for more information at aurandds@verizon.net

Conewago

Posts: 121 | Location: Reading, PA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Balla Balla:

I grew up just outside Philly (in Bucks County) and did my undergrad work at Temple U (in North Philly). I don't live there any more (now just outside Washington, DC).

The area where PENN is can be touchy at times. It's close to 30th Street Station (Regional Rail lines). It's one of the best Ivy League school anywhere. As with anything, a level head and common sense will keep him alive. Being in an urban setting, it won't be hard to find trouble if you go out looking for it. On campus should be pretty calm.

My old man still lives outside of Philly and I'll shoot him a note. He hunts (when he can) and may enjoy a new hunting friend.

But I warn you, the hunting on public property in PA can suck big time - even for small game. During deer season, hell, there is more orange in the woods than leaves.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I too live north of Philly, like retreever said, maybe we could make arangements to get him up to a Lehigh Valley Chapter meeting, meet some hunters!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 40 minutes out of Philadelphia glad to help him out. send me a PM with his email,etc. i'll contact him.

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
DEar AR Guests

As always the best hunting and outdoor forum in the WORLD has come to the party yet again with good solid information and all in the blink of an eye lid.

Andreas's father has been informed of this thread and he will follow up as required directly

Thanks again to Saeed the Moderators and ALL the wonderful AR posters whom make up this fantastic knowledge base

Cheers, have a castle larger on me Big Grin

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't let 577's comments scare him off of hunting here in Pa. all one needs is to have the correct contacts.
I own a farm for hunting in the northern part of the state, lots of whitetail deer and birds such as turkey and grouse.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that Widowmaker is a member of the Lehigh Valley chapter.

Philadelphia is about three hours to the east of my location, so I can be of limited help. Of course if he wishes to sample some of the hunting in southcentral PA, I would be available as a guide.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Balla Balla - I live about a 20 minute drive from the University. I belong to a very nice gun club that is only about 15 minutes from the University. I would be very happy to have your friend to the club and to assist him in any way. I a have hunted in Africa several times and my father, who also lives close, has been on over a dozen African hunts. We have hosted students from South Africa in the past and I am always happy to help visitors, especially those who share common interests. Please let me know what I can do help your friend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the hunting on public property in PA can suck big time

Cats:

I've hunted on both private and public lands all over the Commonwealth. With such a large hunting population in PA, most (not all) of the public game lands do get hunted to the max. Private property is another story.

My favorite is still Tioga County, just south of Wellsboro.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
577nitro, I still hunt up that way and I did my undergraduate at Mansfield State Univ..

We will give that young man time here in the USA and Pa. to hunt and see the sights...But he has to be serious with his education first and foremost...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retreever:

First, Congrats on the Buff hunt!

I applied and was accepted to Mansfield U, but realized that if I went there, I would probably slack off and spend more time in the woods than in the classroom! I went to Temple U -- not much hunting in North Philly!

There are some great hunting areas up there. I used to hunt on some private property in (I think) Little Marsh (south of Wellsboro). There is nothing like breakfast at the "famous" Wellsboro diner or a cold beer at the wooden nickel during buck season.

I agree about his education--and it is great to see that some fellow Pennsylvanians are opening their arms to a stranger who shares their love of the out doors.

Great people on AR....

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
To everybody who has posted on this topic a BIG THANK YOU - It seems that we can make some new friends when my son comes over to UPenn. I'll send you all a PM with our travel plans etc. Hopefully we can get to meet and exchange some stories. If any of you guys come our way in JHB - I'll always have a good bottle of SA red wine ready.
... well and you guys are right - the education now comes first (it's expensive enough) and a few days in the woods every year and some weekends on the range (to get rid of possible frustrations) must suffice for the time being.

We are all looking forward to a new adventure as a family and to new friends.

As 577NitroExpress said - GREAT People on AR!

Muskwa

Posts: 42 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
577 & retreever: aren't those gas lights pretty at Christmas time in wellsboro/ My farm is 25 farther up Route 6 just over the county border in Potter 700 acres of pure BLISS!

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
cats, will have to come up and visit you when in camp...

Mike

Takes on back over a hundred years ago to gaslights....

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cats:

For me there is something magical in the air in Wellsboro the weekend before opening day of Bucks season. The cold, crisp air...the sight of blaze orange...seeing SUVs full of guys in Woolrich outfits...breakfast at the Wellsboro diner...hot buffalo wings at Pudgies...

Great memories for me...

When we didn't have a camp of our own, we would stay at Kaltenbachs...with the BEST blueberry muffins anywhere.

And yes, the Christmas lights are beautiful! I especially love seeing the "house on the hill" that is all lit up. When I was 12, and went hunting with my dad for the first time up there, that house looked like a UFO---pitch black with only those lights "hanging" in the sky.

Man, I need to get back there. Now whenever I can, we only hunt on public land up there--the camp we used to use was sold some years ago...

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you gentlemen are welcome to stop by my place,even come for a hunt. I do not live on that farm but live on another near Allentown.
Once a hunter begins to travel for hunting, deer hunting in Pa pales. Though the tradtion of "deer hunting " upstate for me will never pale.Hunted Alaska, Africa, Mexico and several other states here in the US but always enjoy the "camp' in the fall here the best.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I can help your friend out with a place to shoot. I'm a long time member and on the Board of Directors at Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club. We're approx. 25-30 miles from the U of P in Oaks, PA., which is near Valley Forge.

Tell your friend to drop me a e-mail when he's ready and I'll be glad to take him to the club and show him around. He can shoot for awhile as my guest then decide if he wants to join.

My e-mail: tomzcpa@yahoo.com

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Balla Balla

Now you really messed this young guys life up now!

He was planning for studies and you have given him more gun and hunting oppertunites than he can bargain for....

thumb GO AR GO thumb

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
cchunter

As Muskwa said /// what wonderful people we have on AR worldwide ...

The more frienship and spreading the word about hunting conservation and the outdoors life the better world we will make I believe

Happy Safaris Smiler

Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
I live about 6 miles from Penn in Havertown and would be glad help him out. Have him e-mail me when he arrives in Phillie or send me a PM with the particulars and I will contact him.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Balla Balla,

Im a Penn undergrad, and speaking from experience, there is not much of a hunting community at the school itself. Of the very few people Ive met who actually do hunt, it's only a marginal hobby for most. The only hunting Ive done since I came to college is when Ive traveled out to our spread in Wyoming. Between time constraints, lack of transportation, and not wanting to store my guns here, I just havent gotten around to hunting Pennsylvania.

One thing I have started doing lately in the city is shooting handguns. I just bought a pistol and membership to a Philly range, and it's been a lot of fun so far. I'd be happy to have him along to kill some paper targets if he's interested.

For spring break 06 some friends and I are kicking around the idea of a hunting trip to Africa. If nothing else, it would be great to talk to your friend and see if he has any advice/recommendations. Maybe he'd even want to come along.

One thing to note: it's against school policy to have any firearms in the dorms. I dont think they'd make any exceptions.

This kid made a great choice in coming to Penn. I really love the place. If there's anything at all you want to know, I'll be happy to answer. Ive been here 3 years and have a good feel for how things work. Glad there'll soon be another hunter among our ranks.
Ciao,
-Zach
Wharton 07

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Although I know AR is proberbly up in the top three hunting information places in the world, if not the TOP it still amazes me at whom must be reading this information ///

What sort of (concerns me to a dgree) is the (power of the internet) as an information tool when in this short time period we get all these wonderful people wanting to help and from within the immediate regional area.

I dont ever recall any question ever having been asked on AR about hunting & wildlife that has not had a satisfactory answer ot lead up a blind alley

What more can I say to all our good friends that respond and the good folks of AR ( Saeed Moderators and IT staff ) whom have made this all possible ...

After talking hits from time to time my faith in mankind lifts everytime I log onto AR Africa hunting forum because we find good people from all over the world whom will endevour to help out wherever possible and not for any monetory gain but for common ideals and comradeship

Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
respect of your fellow man, promotion of the shooting sports, and honor know no political boundries.
Those that hold these values are members of a close knit fraternity, AR has the lion's share of "frat brothers" "Cats"

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I live about an hour northwest of Philadelphia. I'll make myself available to help him out from time to time. Just PM or email me.