New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deet Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this may have been talked about before, but here goes.
I have a Bunch of Deep Woods Off that is 25% Deet.
Will be on a plains Game Hunt near Windhoek, Namibia in May.
Would this strength do, or do I need to get something stronger?
Thanks for any help
MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best thing I have ever found for bugs on any continent is the permethrin spray you can buy at places like Bass Pro and treat your clothes before you go. For my exposed skin many people in Alaska, for example, use up to 99% Deet. The 25% stuff will, IMHO, just make mosquitoes and tsetse flies laugh. Just my $.02

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Been to Namibia twice(April and July) and never used the bug spray. What you are planning to take should be fine.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I did not find Namibia buggy at all and I was in the Caprivi. That being said, I always do as drj suggests and spray all my clothes with permethrin and then put them in large ziplocks. Makes them easier to pack too. The permethrin will repel ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, tsetses, everything. For my skin I use Avon Bug Guard Plus SPF 30. This doubles as a bug repellent and sun screen. Actually works on tsetses in my experience. Good luck.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
The % of DEET applies to the length of time that it can protect, not the "strength" or effectiveness. I have read that any concentration over 50% will not increase the length of protection. So perhaps just use and re-apply what you have on hand, also taking into consideration where you will be hunting.

Check out the CDC Website: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbi...insect_repellent.htm

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
spraying the clothes is real important,, especially socks and pants. A huge help with ticks and the shirts will repel bugs better if sprayed. Tick fever a huge threat and prior clothes treatment one more safety barrier for you. I haven't been to Namibia that early before but really never had a mosquito problem, but even in winter all the animals have ticks and is a threat

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
The % of DEET applies to the length of time that it can protect, not the "strength" or effectiveness. I have read that any concentration over 50% will not increase the length of protection. So perhaps just use and re-apply what you have on hand, also taking into consideration where you will be hunting.

I've always found this to be the case. Even 10% or 15% is just as effective as the stronger stuff, but it needs to be reapplied much more often. However, the high-percentage product does one thing far better: it dissolves gun stock finishes, synthetic fabrics, rubberized binocular housings, camera bodies, fishing lures and just about everything else you touch! Don't even whisper "DEET" if you are ever wearing Goretex!

The Permethrin sprays are much less destructive, and probably more effective, at least on ticks.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been to Namibia twice, once in early June & once in early August. Both times about an hour northeast of Windhoek, never had any issues with bugs at all.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If I were going back to Namibia, I don't think I would worry much. Been three times, Caprivi, South of Windhoek and up by Etosha. Can't recall much in the way of bugs.

Good to take some along, in case. Doubt you will use it much. Yes, I am sure 25% is fine.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Here, read this:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/po.../Ultrathon/Products/

I've been using it for years in numerous african countries, without issue. Good stuff, developed for the U.S. military and tested worldwide. The cream works better and longer than the sprays.

Although NOTHING has been proven to repel Tsetse flies, a cardiologist and I conducted an anecdotal test in Mozambique using UltraThon back in 2005 with satisfactory results. We believe the UltraThon dramatically reduced the frequency and total number of fly bites

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Here, read this:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/po.../Ultrathon/Products/

I've been using it for years in numerous african countries, without issue. Good stuff, developed for the U.S. military and tested worldwide. The cream works better and longer than the sprays.

Although NOTHING has been proven to repel Tsetse flies, a cardiologist and I conducted an anecdotal test in Mozambique using UltraThon back in 2005 with satisfactory results. We believe the UltraThon dramatically reduced the frequency and total number of fly bites

Ultrathon, man, that stuff is potent! It will take the paint right off the roll bar. No kidding.

Works though.

Have seen the same effect as you on tsetse flies. Works for an hour maybe? The stuff is thick as axle grease though. I just get tired of reapplying. Avon Skin So Soft seems to work just as well in my independent study.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Wendell,

Yeah, I have heard the Avon Skin So Soft stories for years and have even had outfitters recommend it as the only thing to use. But we are going to disagree on this one, because it is all anecdotal.

While there is extensive research documentation supporting the effectiveness of UltraThon (and lesser brands), I have only ever seen one test on ASSS and it was shown to be virtually useless in defeating mosquitos in the control studies. If ASSS really worked, there would be plenty of research information available (especially from Avon); there is not.

The DEET percentage in UltraThon lotion is 34.34% because the research indicated that was an optimal percentage. A single application has been shown in tests to last 12 hours under most conditions. Most effective repellents may cause damage to some fabrics and finishes, but nowhere near the exaggerated claims posted on the internet.

NOTE: I just found that there is now one Avon SSS product - there are many, so choose carefully - that has a 10 hour rating against mosquitoes by the EPA. It is the Avon SSS Bug Guard Plus IR3535 Expedition Insect Repellent. IR3535 is the active ingredient.

Malaria and West Nile Virus are very serious and nobody with any understanding of these diseases wants to get them. They kill people and aren't to be taken lightly. Consequently, I think it only proper to recommend proven prevention to those less knowledgable. UltraThon is the only repellent certified by the EPA for 12 hour protection against mosquitos.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest disappointments to my one trip to Namibia was that I didn't find one tick and only saw one mosquito, and that one my PH smacked before I could collect it. I looked really hard to find them. I took my collecting stuff with me, so they were my unsucessful trophies. I'm with LionHunter, stay with Deet and Permethrin treated clothes if you want good protection.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the Kafue area near the park last Oct.
Tsetse flies were sworming in some areas. They were like clouds in one small valley. Never in 13 trips over have I seen anything like it.
I had skin so soft. they left me alone. The poor guys on the truck they hammered until I shared. I will never leave for Africa again without 4 bottles, One for me and the rest for others.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote