New
Find
Notify
Tools

my new baby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A little off topic but I thought I'd share. I picked up my new light rifle last Saturday.

Ruger M77 Mk II in .30-06 Springfield.
English walnut stock; shadow line cheek piece; cross bolt; flat point checkering; tung oil finish (I don't know the exact mixture/formula that was used). Pachmayr Decelerator pad. Steel magazine floor plate. Dakota inletted pistol grip cap and rear sling stud. Ruger barrel band sling stud. Rifle Basix trigger. Pillar & glass bedded. Jewelled bolt and extractor. Bolt lugs lapped. Extractor tuned.

I can't wait to go shoot it!

-Bob F. Big Grin

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle buty where are the iron sights? shame

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42073 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't see iron sights worth a damn these days so I made the decision to leave them off. I can always add them later.

-Bob F. Wink

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Very Nice job, Bob...congrats!

Who did the work? I've got a .338-06 AI currently in Tupperware that needs a proper handle...

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Very nice, who's your stockmaker?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
A beauty!! And great caliber choice! Wink

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Beautiful rifle! A nice mix between fucntion and art!
Nice stock.

Hope she shoots well for you!

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very well done stock. Trim and pleasing lines, just the way I like them.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the compliments. I know that a Ruger is a little unusual as a choice for a custom rifle. I just happen to like Ruger bolt actions. To each his own. But, I think it turned out rather well.

The rifle shot well out of the box (factory stock, trigger, etc.) so I am hoping that it will shoot well with the new stock.

My stockmaker/gunsmith that did the work is:

Todd Johnson
Lone Star Armory
Pearland, Texas

He does gunsmithing part time. Doing the work part time, he doesn't take on lots of jobs. He doesn't do a lot of custom stock work (complete custom wood stocks) due to the large amount of time that it takes. (But, if you'd like his phone number, then send me a PM.)

-Bob F. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice look'n rifle Bob!
Which reminds me I need to get you out to Bayou Rifles' range sometime. Always look'n for good folks to join.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob F.

where did you pick that up at. Very nice.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, what a nice looking Ruger! I'll second Rusty's comments about Bayou Rifles. I joined up last month. I can take guests if you'd like to come down and shoot. bob

Posts: 1285 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Rusty/bobc:

Where is Bayou Rifles located? One can only stand so much of American Shooting Center and Baileys!!!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Our rifle range is located south of hiway 6 off 288 south.
Our pistol/small bore range is located at I-10 and Eldridge, in the Addicks flood plain.

The Juliff range off 288 has a short work pistol, 25/50 yard, 100, 300, plus a new 600/1000 yard range. we have an informal shotgun area with a thrower. All the firing lines except the 600/100 are covered and benches available. They are working on the cover for the 600/1000.

The Juliff range is open to all member no RSO on duty. The Addicks range requires an RSO on duty and is open weekends or if you become an RSO you can go anytime. You in turn volunteer your time once every 2-3 months to perform RSO duties at Addicks in trade for becoming an RSO.

If you are interested in finding out about membership, please contact Clyde McMeans
at cemcme@outdrs.net.
Please use my name as a referral.
if you need to contact me for information please do so at rkmojo@aol.com

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Very pretty and well designed rifle--looks very much like a fine old Rigby .275 in profile (except that yours has a slightly longer forearm). It's funny. They say that Bill Ruger was going Anglophile with his dog-leg bolt handle--but that's really not a truly English best rifle feature. Still, I like the dog-leg bolt handle on the Ruger even better than I would the standard English straight handled style--it's one of the Ruger's best design elements.

That's a nice stock too--very much on the dark side for English walnut and perfectly capped with the ebony fore end tip.

Nice rifle all around. Good hunting and good shooting!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13551 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very, Very nice !! I think the Ruger action has a lot of nice things going for it 3 pos saftey, crf etc. and that is one great looking Ruger !!

It's so nice you should only shoot Round Nose bullets through it as it has a traditiional kind of look Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

Funny you should mention round nose bullets and that you're from Australia!! My standard .30-06 load, at least for African bushveld hunting, is the 220 gr Woodleigh round nose loaded to about 2450 fps. I guess great minds do think alike!! Big Grin

-Bob F. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanahile:
Rusty/bobc:

Where is Bayou Rifles located? One can only stand so much of American Shooting Center and Baileys!!!

Here's their web site:

http://www.bayourifles.org/

-Bob F.